Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anton's Live Diesel

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Anton's Live Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Anton's diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 am

Anton Richards is building a live diesel locomotive based on a 4 coupled Essel engineering chassis.

He is using a similar arrangement to my monster with a permanent coupled 850 series DC motor acting as a dynamo.

Here are his pictures so far and some glimpses of his unusual 32mm garden railway.

Anton's Live Diesel Ad210

Anton's Live Diesel Ad610

Anton's Live Diesel Ad710

Anton's Live Diesel Ad410

Anton's Live Diesel Ad810

Anton's Live Diesel Ad310

Anton's Live Diesel Ad910

Anton's Live Diesel Ad1010

Anton's Live Diesel Ad1110

Anton's Live Diesel Ad1310

Anton's Live Diesel Ad1410

Anton's Live Diesel Ad1610

Anton's Live Diesel Ad2010

Anton's Live Diesel Ad2110

And just to prove it works.....

Thank you for looking

Anton Richards

Last edited by antonr91 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am

I looks like early Honby Tinplate and worth a bit too!

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 am

I merged the two threads (the orginal one I created and this one that Anton created). We now have a lot of photos....but then we can never have too many. Laughing

I think (but then I'm biased) that this is a great project.

Would like to know more about this vacuum formed body. That could have some interesting possibilities if it can resist the heat. study
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am

Ahh yes the vaccum formed body. I got this idea from a nitro car that i had. As the body is made from that plastic stuff which nearly touches the engine, i thought i would try and replicate this idea for my loco. it is made from plastic im sorry but i dont know what sort or anything as i do not have a vaccum former, i used the one at my place of study. my opinion is this is the easiest way to create a simple body. to my knowledge it will withstand heat as long as you add some simple ventilation. you may also need to change the glow plug to a hot glow plug as heat within the body will cut the engine. i plan to clip it to the loco using a very similar way the car shells are clipped, using butterfly clips.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm

I would also like to add, but i dont know how to do this on the post, so ill do it here....The really good feature of the essel chassis is that it comes standard with a fully adjustable wheel base. this means that the loco can run on either 32mm O gauge track or 45mm g gauge track with just a little turn of a grub screw.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:42 pm

antonr91 wrote:
I would also like to add, but i dont know how to do this on the post,

You should (now) be able to add information after you have posted using the 'edit' tool. Be careful as you can also edit other peoples posts... pirat

Regards the 850 motor. Yes it is powerful and over adequate for the essel motor but a smaller motor may have trouble starting the glo plug engine.

It would be interesting to do some tests to see what is the smallest electric motor capable of turning over a glo plug engine yet delivering an adequate power supply.

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Ok thanks ill give it a go

Yes i see where you coming from now...i still have not made a switch for it yet, so the minute i start the engine and connect the to motors together..the loco starts to run off... Wink so i need to do that...but i dont fully know how at the moment...

and yes that would be a good little experiment to do as i would love to know this for future models
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

This is a really excellent project. Looking at your experience and Carls it looks
like you have to do everything twice in the world of live diesel.
A few questions, if you don't mind:
What engine have you used ?
Is it possible to get a better silencer ?
How long do you think the engine will run for without overheating?

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 am

Hi dtsteam
Thank you very much. yes trial and error plays a big part in building such propulsion as some really simple parts such a the link between motor and nitro engine are very easy to get wrong.
The engine i have used is a force 15 nitro car engine which i have taken the pull start off. this is because if the engine ever got flooded, it would jerk the loco into the air when trying to start.
yes that is what i am now trying to achieve as this is a bit to noisy. the problem is that i have hardly any room left. Si im stuck on the silencer part at the moment. i have run the engine for a full tank which as i have a very small one, it only lasts about 10 minutes. I will be adding a fan in as i know this well extend the life of the engine. my overall opinion on the force 15 is that they ok to use but i am a lover of OS engines and IRVINE engine which are both now made by OS.

hope that helps
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:52 am

I am now starting to gather pieces for my next model, not that my first on is finished yet but i wont another one as it was fun building it. Carl has very kindly given me a chassis to work with. I am stuck with engine choice. I am thinking of using a 4 stroke but I can honestly say i no nothing about them as all the planes and cars i have use two strokes. I guy who has seen my videos on youtube has been emailing me an he wants to start building one using a 4 stroke engine. he says "I will be using a 4-stroke engine so that it's slow to rev up, has a lower high and low idle, and makes a big cloud of smoke when it accelerates." I like the sound of those characteristics but do they have a lower RPM?

I am thinking of trying out some smaller generator motors such as this MFA 550 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MFA-Torpedo-500-Motor-Suppressed-Motor-Mount-EM500-/350103057187?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5183c4b323#ht_825wt_754

Im not sure if it would work or not. any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

I also need to talk about custom manifolds....any body know about creating these as i need it to off the engine and immediately turn to to the right or left and i cant find anything small enough...

I have found this but im not to sure....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250606777932&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1971wt_826

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Anton the 500 motor will be ok it'll chuck out about 9 volts max. but the current should be at least 3 or 4 amps.

I don't have the exact spec but I looked at a 540 motor which I presume is a bit more powerful.

The exhausts are great, I bought 2 of them, very small and compact, 10mm dia tube but watch out for the manifold spacing. It is the small size found on .12 and some .15 engines. The bolt centres are 28mm. The larger engines have longer exhaust ports.

I am making a simple brass adapter plate to fit the large engine (with 48mm hole centres).

The chassis I'm sending you is only tiny...10cm long and 4cm weelbase. I don't where you're going to fit a 4 stroke engine. scratch

BTW I'm after an 8mm carburettor if you know where I can find one cheap. I looked on ebay and nothing less than about £20 which is more than I paid for the engine.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Ignore my last about the motor I have just found the spec for a 550/1 motor.

Mesures à vide :pour tension de mesure (V) : 6
• Vitesse (Tr/mn) : 12250
• Courant (A) : 1,0

Au rendement max:
• Vitesse (Tr/mn) : 10516
• Courant (A) : 6,06
• Couple (g.cm) : 229
• Couple de blocage : 1627
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:45 pm

ahhh ok thank you....

ok well ill probably buy a few then as i will experiment with them....i think my exhaust holes are 28mm well i hope anyway as im not at home at the moment so i cant check...

yes i had planned to either add the 4 stroke to my diesel and take the old engine off or create yet another loco along the lines of davids, using two bogies...not to sure yet but i really want a 4 stroke Smile

And when you say carb i have just found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8mm-Fuel-one-way-valve-petrol-diesel-non-return-carb-/290215330375?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item43922e8247#ht_921wt_754

I dont know if thats what you mean....is it for your new engine?
if this isnt it then could yoy show me as i would have a look out for you...

what engine is it if you dont mind me asking..as i have found some cheap jap engines with elect start which could be good?...
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:50 pm

sorry ive just made myself look really stupid..that is not a carb is it.....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:04 pm

You can edit/delete posts...

I'm after a carburettor for a Kyoshi .12

Something like this:
carb

If I can't find anything cheaper I'll have to buy it.
Sometimes you see old engines for spares or repair with good carbs.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm

take a look at this then..its a little cheaper and says it fits 15,16,18 size engines..i know you said yours was a but 12 sizes are usually the same as 15....take a look...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-16-18-Nitro-Carb-Carburettor-Carby-/200501157145?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2eaeccdd19#ht_2945wt_931

sorry mate couldnt find anything else....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 am

Excellent...Job done...cheers

Sold to the grumpy ex-pat in Normandy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 am

Just an idea for O gauge motor bogies....

Here in France there is a lot of old Hornby/Meccano stuff. Some of it is expensive but some of it gets sold quite cheaply.

I don't know too much about the mechanics/electrics of it. (Some of it is 3 rail).

I saw this on French e bay this morning:

O gauge loco

....just an idea.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm

was that the correct carb? and yes i know a little bit about hornby o gauge and it is not at all good for what i need...very small and flimsy. I have a few hornby/meccano tinplate o gauge wagons that i will be putting on ebay actually.....they are surprisingly worth a bit of money, even in a old used condition Very Happy

but thank you anyway...where can i get hold of a pair of essel powered bogies? You know where i got mine diesel from and they didnt say anything about bogies..i did ask....

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 pm

I think it is the correct size (aperture/housing) carb.

Just another idea...

There are some German manufacturers doing 30mm gauge 'Parkbahn'.

It maybe worth having a look at the Regner catalogue page (seite) 80.

My limited German tells me that these RSSB kits are also available in 32mm gauge and there looks to be a chassis item number 72006 at 20 euros. This seems rather cheap for a motorised chassis but someone with better German may be able to help more.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Carl:
The Regner catalog description says you can specify 32mm if that's what you need. The 72006 kit is to add connecting rods to the wheels.

Page 92 has the power block - part number 72001 - which is 69.90 euros.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

Anton's Live Diesel
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: