Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anton's Live Diesel

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Good stuff Anton, Shunt seems to run very nicely, well done.

Is the starter/generator on Shunt the one that I gave you ? If so could you tell me what the description is on the label on the motor. I have n't given up on my live diesel yet and I cant remember the motor make and type though I do have a record of its performance characteristics, when I ran it.

Tx
David
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks David.

Its been a while since ive heared anything about your diesel, and i cant remember, have you had it running yet?

No, the motor on shunt is the MFA850 torpedo, ive used your motor you gave me on the other diesel, which has been put away in a box as i have no time for it at the moment and dont know when i will go back to it.

Im so happy ive finally found somewhere to run the loco, as i had been posting on numerous forums asking if anyone would let me run on there track, everyone said they liked the idea but didnt want it on there own railway.

Can you remember the conversation we had in france, about that guy who has massive open days on his garden railway??

Anton
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Anton, thanks for the motor details. I had n't, until last week, resurrected my live diesel project, partly due to removing part of a finger in a powered plane. After a couple of months this has healed I am now back on track.

The guy with the 300 yd railway is Chris Moody and about twice a year he has an open day. His speciality is Garratts and to see two in tandem pulling 25 hopper wagons is a sight to behold.

Concidentally his next open day is this coming Sunday at Waterbeach, south of Cambridge. Everyone is welcome, providing you ring in advance, and is usually a fantastic event. All locos are welcome but, in view of its characteristics, I would ask him in advance about running Shunt.

Full details are available on the South Arbury Railway website. Were I not golfing in Normandy next week I would be going myself. Well worth a visit.

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:33 pm

David Grantham wrote:

......... golfing in Normandy........

David

Shocked Where in Normandy? I'm in 'Haute', dept 27.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Carl. Its the annual boys golf trip to France. We normally play at Missilac in the Western Loire but the chateau got too expensive so we are going to stay at the Ibis in Port-en-Bessin and play a few rounds at the Omaha Beach golf course just down the road. We will be taking small divots because I understand there is still a massive amount of buried ordnance around. I guess we may also take next Tuesday off and go to Caen and the see the memorial.

I guess Brionne to Bessin is too far for a pint ?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm

David Grantham wrote:

I guess Brionne to Bessin is too far for a pint ?

Very Happy

It's about an hour and a half, but I have to work all next week anyway. Thanks for the offer.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:44 am

Sorry i couldnt give you more information on the motor, as i dont actually know that much about it. It was a Carl recommendation and a very easily just went along with it, and it was the perfect motor for the job cheers

What timing, having an open day on sunday, shame but i wont be able to make it there, although i would hesitate going there by myself anyway, as i would much prefer to know someone such as yourself who would be going. So thats got to be a trip for another time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Just to inform everyone, i have finally found a local club which wants me, and are very interested in my diesel.

The Valy of Aylesbury Model Engineering Society - http://www.vames.co.uk/www.vames.co.uk/Welcome.html

Located at the historic Buckinghamshire Railway Centre - http://www.bucksrailcentre.org/index.php

(Im sure it would be of some interest in those members of this forum who appreciate real diesels and steamers, as they have some nice vintage diesel shunters, in working order, and they seem to do steam restoration which is fully open to the public to watch and ask questions - I SHALL TAKE SOME PHOTOS IF ANYONE IS INTERSTED, as they look like they have a version of the Burlington Zephyr which they are restoring as well. (i could be wrong on that)

Which seems to please all aspects of engineering, as thet have 32mm, 45mm, 3inch gauge, 1km 5inch and 7 1/4 inch track as well as various full size railways that have real steam engine chugging up and down all day Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 833270

I went there last sunday as was very warmly greeted, which i must add was the first time in a long time, well since meeting everyone in France. Shunt came with me, but as usual, he would start at home, everything seeming good and well, and when i got there, he wouldnt start at all. The more embarrassing thing is, that as the club is located at a railway museum, all railways from large to garden are open to the public to view, and therefore i had a crowed slowly gathering to watch what i had. It eventually started and ran for 5 mins before the coupling decided to break and i called it a day.

I have since joined the club, for a modest student rate of £4 per year which is crazy Very Happy, and i now have access to everything there, what ever time of day or night i want.

So i plan to take a trip there agin this sunday, and i shall take a camera and shoot some nice videos, hopefully hauling a large load as some members promised to bring some rolling stock for me to pull.

It has also boosted me to continue with the petrol electric 5 inch and carry on with the two other diesels i have collecting dust.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm

One other thing, David, do you know when Chris Moody is doing his next open day, i cannot find anything on his website - http://www.16mmgarratts.co.uk/

As i have already contatced him and he has said i am welcome and shunt is as well. So i would love to meet you there one time and anyone else who would be willing to come along Razz
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I wondered where you had got to.... Wink

This Aylesbury place sounds interesting. Where are they excatly?
Are they anything to do with the full size railway that runs beyond Aylesbury to Quainton?

When you say they are restoring a Burlington Zephyr do you mean a REAL one that ran in the USA out of Chicago or a live diesel model formerly made by WADA Works in Japan?

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Haha, i have been in Florida for a while, enjoying some of the supposedly good weather for flying, which i got none of, so i didnt even get what i was meant to achieve out there completed, and time is ticking on for me to get my commercial license.

I believe it is at Quainton...have you checked out the web links. This is the address: Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
Quainton Road Station
Quainton
near Aylesbury
Bucks
HP22 4BY

And yes everything i said previously from restoring, to running was on real size real life trains, not models. Dont quote me on the Zephyr thing as i may have just mystaken a chrome railway locomotive which looks like some picutres i once saw of the Zephyr.

Its a pretty amazing place, and reading the history, VAMES (vale of alesbury model engineering society) were looking for a location to start a club, and they came accros the place in Quainton. Because they share grounds with the museum, there club has to be open to the public all times when the museum is open, and therefore the club is very spectator organised and very very friendly, and exactly what i was looking for, unlike that horrible place in colney heath i went to where i was very rudely told to clear off!

Check out the web links Carl, as i know you have a big interest in real railway locomotives and i know on there web site as well as the VAMES web site they state what locos they have etc.

Im guessing you already know about this railway the runs to quinton? as i know nothing about it, i was just looking for a friendly club to join and stumbled upon it.
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm

I've visited the model engineering track at Quainton and it's an impressive setup and for £4 a year sounds a bargain! It's rather less than I pay for my membership of the model engineering society in Cardiff.

The Burlington Zephyr btw is a sentinel railcar, used to work in Egypt I think.

James
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 am

Woops, well that just goes to show how much i know about the history of locomotives. My mistake.

Well they do have some fascinating locomotives there and i shall take some photos this weekend and post on here.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Had a really good day at VAMES, and i have loads of videos of Shunt, hauling loads, and enjoying the railway. I have lots of photos of the railway, as well as the real steamers and the 5 inch gauge locos as well. I shall post everything very soon, after all editing is done Razz
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:03 am

midwalesstokie wrote:
I've visited the model engineering track at Quainton and it's an impressive setup and for £4 a year sounds a bargain! It's rather less than I pay for my membership of the model engineering society in Cardiff.

The Burlington Zephyr btw is a sentinel railcar, used to work in Egypt I think.

James

The Burlington Zephyrs were a series of diesel powered, light weight, streamlined stainless steel passenger trains built by Budd for the Burlington Road in the 1930's. They were very fast for their days. The original one, the Pioneer Zephyr, went to a museum in Chicago when it was retired. It remains there to this day. Other similar "Zephyrs" are also in museums in the US; one of them (The Nebraska Zephyr) operates (albeit with an EMD E-5 propelling it) at another museum near Chicago. AFAIK, none of them were ever in Egypt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Zephyr

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 am

Last edited by David Grantham on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 am

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:00 am

Anton, do you know if there are any more main line freight diagrams apart from the binliners ?
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 am

Shunt at VAMES:

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 am

This is taken out of another thread in the hope that more people may see it....apologies for repeating:

"Now as some of you will most probably guess, it has only on bogie at the moment (kindly donated by David) and the other set of wheels is actually a Mamod flatbed wagon, that i bought when i first caught the live diesel disease .

Now i was about to completely canabolise the wagon, and then i thought hold on, this is pretty nice and a waste to chop up and ruin. So what i though about is MAKING A DEAL.

I need a 4 wheel un-powered 45mm bogie for this loco, something similar to the essel one i already have on this loco.

Is there anyone on this forum who would SWAP any unwanted bogie, for this wagon, i know its not in the best of conditions, but it runs nicely and freely and would make a good piece of stock for anyone who uses 32mm/45mm steam.

If no one wants to do this, then i think i will attempt to adapt it into this loco"

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dsc02317[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dsc02318[/img]
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Now after sitting back and just reading over the posts over the last month or two, their was obviously alot of discussion about live diesel, and a few more members trying the concept out.

Now after the DC Generator form of power being referred to as tractor technology, i though i better try and make at least one of the 3 diesels i have, AC, by using a brushless motor from an Electric rc plane.

After carefully reading over Carls progress with his loco, and a few pointers from other members, I decided to convert 'Shunt' to the AC brushless type power and leave the DC to my larger, twin bogie loco, that will very soon have a lovely OS 4 stroke engine.

Here is what i have created:
[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1611[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1612[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1613[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1614[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1615[/img]

The question i want to ask is: Can these car engines be run on the red aero fuel, or would it ruin the engine? can anybody help me out with this?[img][/img]
Code:
Code:
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 pm

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1616[/img]

[img]Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Dscn1617[/img]
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Anton,

These things still look scary to me, but I think I'm getting there with the components!

What is the material above the chassis? Wood? Does it provide insulation/ vibration resistance?

Cheers

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Well....does it go?

Aero fuel/car fuel... both will run but check the mixture contents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_fuel
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 pm

HI Brian

Yes they looked very scary to me when i first saw Carls Green monster, and i was full of questions at every step, but once you get all the components together and get a machine going, you really see how simple they are. Im not sure if you have followed my progress with these lococs, especially on this thread, but this particular loco started off as a Dc generator type, and in a evening, was converted into AC brushless type.

Yes its wood i use on all 3 of my models, and this was purely down to the simplicity and shape that i wanted. I would imagine it would absorb some of the sound and vibration, and is a very easy and stable platform to base everything on. All three of my diesels are made of wood, apart from the fram of NO. 3 which is alloy but with a wood centre.

Carl, yes, it ran today, in the rain (not recommended) and ran very well. It is fully RC with a 4 Channel aero 35MHz receiver but i only use the throttle channel. The problem is that it seems to be quite high revving to get and real power going. If the weather is good tomorrow, then i may pop down the club for a propper run, and i may follow suit and take out the clutch springs, so the clutch engages earlier. Im also only using a 12 tooth pinion gear, and even though i=the engine is a 1300KV, i think 15-20 teeth would be far better.

And ill take a look at that link, thank you, i had tried to find it out but it all seemed a bit touch and go, and it was very mixed, whether it should be done or not. Do you use aero fuel in your locos?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 am

antonr91 wrote:

The problem is that it seems to be quite high revving to get and real power going. If the weather is good tomorrow, then i may pop down the club for a propper run, and i may follow suit and take out the clutch springs, so the clutch engages earlier. Im also only using a 12 tooth pinion gear, and even though i=the engine is a 1300KV, i think 15-20 teeth would be far better.

If you read what I post sometimes then you would find the answer. Cool

"The generator is a 3 phase BLDC motor. I have used 910Kv which gives (approx) 1 volt for every 910rpm. This has a 5mm dia shaft. Troy uses a bigger motor.
Don’t go for high Kv values on a small motor. Go for low Kv values on a chunky motor."

From the post about Brian's diesel.

Your BLDC motor will produce (slightly less than) 1volt for 1300rpm so to get 10volts you will need about 13,000 rpm. A 910Kv motor will produce a similar 10volts of electricity at nearly 4,000rpm less. Idea

See this link which tells you everything about Brushless DC motors. There's even a quiz!

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/forms/brushless-dc-motor-guide.php

The clutch spring was Troy's idea and discovery and makes a difference because some clutches engage at about 2,000 rpm. Without the spring it engages almost instantly allowing electricity to start being produced at lower revs. It makes for smoother slow speed running as you don't get a sudden burst of electricity.
This is irrelevant though if you have an electronic speed controller.

For your locomotive Anton.
Are the engine and electric motor securely mounted. From the pics I'm not so sure. I would hate for those to come loose from the wooden mounting block.
Strong steel bolts, washers and locknuts or locking washers are best with the bolts going all the way through to the chassis through vertical holes.

BTW, What is the 'roll cage' for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anton's Live Diesel   Anton's Live Diesel - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anton's Live Diesel
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: