Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BBC4..Indian Hill Railways

Go down 
+8
GWhizz
mikeyh
KleineDicke
clive_t
Bearcastle
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
Sparkeswood
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:34 am

After years of using AVG I changed last year to microsofts free Security Essentials and havent had any problems (in fact it sorted out a virus that AVG didnt detect!). As I've said before we dont get broadband here (its coming but dont hold your breath!) and with only a dial-up speed of 37.2 I tried to find a way of boosting the speed. I found the answer by changing from IE8 to Mozilla Firefox. That alone has blocked so many more infected sites. I had this set-up before I loaded Expat shield, so maybe thats why i didn't/dont have a problem?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:52 am

I agree, I use firefox since the begining, it improved a lot and block a lot of things.
As well you could use some add-on with it, some are very good.

For the antivirus I use Avast it's free and no problem (not like norton that make the computer running like a turtle). As well I run sometimes Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, it detect other threat than virus.

One more things you need to use, it's the firewall included with windows, it's not the best, but it's there and free.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:41 am

I watched it all over again this morning.....
The You Tube upload is very good quality.

Once again a great presentation. A good insight into Indian/Nepalese life too.

They (BBC) could as always have explained a bit more about the line (from a railway entusiasts perspective) and shown for example some of the reversing manoeuvers that by all accounts can be a bit hairy!

I hope they never close that railway. I think it unlikey as there is so much support around the world.

BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 B_clas10

This the 'UK one' (owned by Adrian Shooter - Director of Chiltern Railways).

DHRS No19
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tonights offering is...

The Nilgiri Mountain Railway

Same time,same place.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:19 pm

After all this I actually forgot last nights - I was out anyway.

One thing that may be of interest re stopzilla. I tried to uninstall it as I was not convinced and it came up with a FREE registration key - so I got it (?) for nothing. I have just set it to scan again so will see. I tried panda online scan and norton online they both threw up nothing. As I am using Firefox maybe there is no virus/trojan after all. Still good news about being able to watch BBC at last. Gonna try Sky now.

Update : It's not a free one - just a 14 day jobbie, I would be prepared to give it a go but something is blocking it from doing a scan - it still gets to 2% then just gets comatose. Gonna rip it out soonest.

Upate 2 : Those crafty people at Sky still know I am not in the UK so I cannot watch sky player.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 pm

To be honest.I missed it too but managed to watch it on Carl's Youtube link further up the page Embarassed
Have a scroll up and watch it Patrick.

Also this program will catch most nasty creatures trying to infect your computer.
Download and run 'quickscan'
It's amazing what other protection programs let through.

Anti malware
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tonights offering is...

Same time,same place.

....That's a bummer.... Crying or Very sad there's nothing on You Tube for that railway as part of the BBC4 series although there are many other uploads about it.

scratch.....I'll just have to sit and read old editions of GardenRail magazine instead. study
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Slightly off thread but interesting to say the least.

As I mentioned earlier - "pat shield" puts my IP as east coast of USA (ish), I can get BBC but not Sky.

Now the interesting bit ( stay with me) :

The day after Christmas, here in Spain, the internet was comatose, that is NOTHING would load all day - wife was furious because QVC had a sale of handbags and could not order cheers .

I found that whereas I too had the very same problem (not ordering handbags dummies) if I activated the VPN service (pat shield) my connection was almost perfect. I have no idea why this might be, but it worked everytime I tried it.

I have not found any virus's, but the annoying adverts do get a bit tedious - I suspect it is in fact the virus bit.

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Sparkeswood wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tonights offering is...

Same time,same place.

....That's a bummer.... Crying or Very sad there's nothing on You Tube for that railway as part of the BBC4 series although there are many other uploads about it.

scratch.....I'll just have to sit and read old editions of GardenRail magazine instead. study

You should get Freesat Carl. Just a dish and a decoder box
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: BBC4..Indian Hill Railways   BBC4..Indian Hill Railways - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:33 pm

We don't have television here by choice. It is useful occassionally but in all honesty we easily live without it.

BTW I've been watching this (on youtub) two part BBC program on the Bombay railway.
Excellent.