Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Torrence

Go down 
+2
clive_t
Paulus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Torrence   Torrence EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 pm

After seeing Clive's wonderful work on The Return of YAF - Le Controlleur Gros I decided to pick up an old project.

This was how this figure looks like last year, before he disappeared into a box. The body is made from wrapped aluminum foil covered with Fimo clay and baked in an oven. 1 hand (and a watch) were also sculpted from Fimo.

Torrence S5005826modified-vi Torrence S5005827modified-vi

So, last tuesday I started. I used Milliput (thanks for the idea Clive!) and start sculpting a head and some suspenders (sorry for the bad pictures!).

Torrence S5007353modified-vi Torrence S5007362modified-vi

Torrence S5007357modified-vi

Followed yesterday by a little French barret, hand and little suitcase.

Torrence S5007374modified-vi Torrence S5007375modified-vi

Because the figure reminds me very much of Inspector Torrence from the Maigret novels by Georges Simenon, I decided to call him Torrence!!

Next to do is to get rid of that alien green skin and paint some human colors on it Wink

Paul

BTW, for those interested how Torrence would look like, I think Eric Prat was an actor that just fitted right in that character: picture of Eric Prat as Torrence.
(picture was taken from this "Maigret-o-phile" website: http://jy.depoix.free.fr/commisse.htm )
Personally I think this was the best Maigret TV series ever made and Bruno Cremer is by far the best Maigret ever seen on screen. Some like James Bond, The Saint, McGiver, The Revengers, but for me it's that grumpy big French commissar!
But that's a whole other story and hobby... or disorder as you like
affraid
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 am

Great work Paul... Cool

That's the one thing I have always struggled with, my own sculpting from scratch of faces and hands. It's why I tend to rely on Messrs Preiser for those bits.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 am

He is looking very good Paul, well done. BTW those are "braces" - suspenders are for ladies, he would look very strange in those.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Excellent work - he looks just like one of the "Pompiers" from our local fire station in Montbron. Torrence 28942
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Figures я us, brilliant.

I know it might be obvious to some but when you say 'wrapped aluminium foil' what exactly do you mean? Is the aluminium foil part of his body like....a frame or skeleton?

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 pm

MERCI!

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Figures я us, brilliant.

I know it might be obvious to some but when you say 'wrapped aluminium foil' what exactly do you mean? Is the aluminium foil part of his body like....a frame or skeleton?

Yes indeed:

Torrence Image060

I started sculpting my own figures a few years ago following the "Figure Classes" by Chris Wallas on MyLargeScale. It's easier than you might think and very fun to do!

Here are the direct links:
- Figure Class I (first pages all about different clays, putty, sculpting masses and baking techniques. The "real build" starts at page page 12.
- Figure Class II
- Figure Class III

The aluminum foil skeleton is "designed" to withstand the temperatures of the baking; the aluminum will expand more than the clay but because the foil is crumpled the skeleton itself keeps it size while the expansion take place "in" the crumples. If you would make a skeleton out for instance pieces of brass wire the skeleton will expand, pushing the clay away/out of its form.

I made some figures that were totally build out of Fimo clay (like the brakeman on the Margnat tanker). But for smaller detail it's just a bit too hard/stiff to work with. Sculpty would be a better option and I was planning to try it out, but now I found that Milliput is even better because it does not have to be baked!!
The Milliput can be used over the Fimo clay, so I can make a "body" out of Fimo and do the detailing with Milliput!

bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 pm

First base layers (all Tamiya acrylics):

Torrence S5007381modified-vi Torrence S5007382modified-vi

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks Paul, interesting observations about the foil expansion.

The figure looks a dead ringer for the French philosophy teacher at my school (just missing a rollup cigarette in his mouth).
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Good progress again!

I could never get to grips with that way of making armatures... hence i had to come up with an alternative to baking - Milliput and Green Stuff!

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

FINISHED! (I guess)

Here he is! According to the look in his eyes he is asking himself "huh, did I missed that train now or not?" (looking at the time table).

Torrence S5007412modified-vi Torrence S5007410modified-vi

Torrence S5007408modified-vi Torrence S5007413modified-vi

The shades in the face are done with the Andrea Flesh Paint set (waterbase/acrylic). The shades on the clothes and the eyes were done with thinned oil paint (Van Dijck's brown).

I was thinking of putting a 'baguette' under his right arm... Or is that perhaps too much?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Nice work Paul!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm

A baguette under his arm and a Gauloise between his lips and the scene is complete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Torrence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torrence   Torrence Empty

Back to top Go down

Torrence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: