Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Empty
PostSubject: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm

For a while now I've been thinking about another figure for my own railway - I decided it was time that the guard's brake van needed a guard. But rather than just standing on the veranda, I had an idea that I could pose the figure crouched over the brake as though about to tighten (or indeed loosen) it. So after a brief hunt through my bits box for a suitable victim, I came up with this fella:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_1

So the after the now customary hacking, maiming and generally disfiguring, he looked like this:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_2

Well that's how he stayed for a good few months, until this week whereupon I suddenly remembered he and I had some unfinished business! So the next step was to add some embellishments in the form of a hi-viz waistcoat and a bit of facial hair:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_3

So that's where we are with him so far - more to follow in due course!

Last edited by clive_t on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Already looking forward to follow this one!!
What did you use for the waistcoat?

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Thank you Paul.

The waistcoat was made from 'Grey Stuff' - a 2-part epoxy putty that is allows very thin layers to be made, and stays flexible when cured. It therefore resists breakage. Grey Stuff is produced by an outfit called Gale Force Nine, and is good value for money as you buy it in two separate containers which lasts for ages as they are sealed. I bought mine nearly 2 years ago and it's still good - and still more than 75% left.

You can't see it in that last picture, but I also added a 'shirt tail' to the rear of the figure - ie he needs to tuck his shirt in at the back, but he's too busy to worry about trivial matters like his appearance!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 am

I was hoping to get outside and spray this guy with car body primer, but the weather is so appalling that I don't think I am going to have much luck today. So in the meantime, here's another pic from a 3/4 angle to the rear, showing the 'shirt tail':

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_3b
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Looking good as usual Clive! (Don't know whether he would be able to turn that brake handle with just one hand though) I like the attitude of concentration!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Fair point, Mikey; I shall ponder that further...
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 pm

I agree with Mikey (scary thought, that one). Both hands on the brake lever would be more convincing. He doesn't seem to have any leverage. I can't wait for the finished product.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Ok point taken, it does look more believable now:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_4

I had to saw through his left arm at the elbow, and introduce a joint to allow the hand (now with a hole drilled in it) to locate on the horizontal brake handle. In doing so, the arm, which was never that secure to be honest, detatched from the body, necessitating some emergency surgery (and a bit more Milliput)
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:12 am

Ouch! A guard for my ToyTrain brake van 890686 I apologize for the pain and suffering I caused. It is a big improvement. cheers He looks very determined to stop the train. Aren't you glad you hadn't painted him? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 am

Yes i agree with Bills last statement (thats even scarier!") He looks like he's putting the effort in now Clive! A couple of nice armpit sweat stains and he's the dogs whatsits!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 pm

OK enough with the agreeing you blokes, sheesh! Carl, Carl, help they're ganging up on me lol!

Well the weather has relented sufficiently for me to get outside and apply the spray primer coat.

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_5

As you can doubtless see for yourselves, it has fulfilled both its functions: to be a good base for the eventual paint finish, and to betray to the world at large all the bits I should have sanded/filed, but didn't Sad
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Quote :
As you can doubtless see for yourselves, it has fulfilled both its functions: to be a good base for the eventual paint finish, and to betray to the world at large all the bits I should have sanded/filed, but didn't

But you still can!!! Smile
Primer and blowed up pictures are always very hard but honest judges; they show all errors that are not even noticeable in "real". Just a bit of filling, filing and sanding and you can start painting.

Looking at his rolled up sleeves I was wondering if perhaps a little tattoo (an anchor or a hart with "Mommy") one one of his underarms would look great?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Whats the wagon he's on Clive? Nice weathering!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Cheers Mikey, it's a ToyTrain brake van (they are red in their normal guise)

I got it second hand about 6 years ago for about £15, and was one of the first things I had a go at weathering.

You can see a better picture of it on my stock page, here:

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/freight_other.htm

I've since stenciled the initials of the line on the side, but other than that it's unchanged from when i first painted and weathered it all those years ago.

Edit: If you look in my Fotopic archive from Dec 2005, you can see a couple of shots with the van in its original look: http://clivesgscalerailways.fotopic.net/c971794.html

Edit again: helps to get the above URL correct, and ending in '.html' clown
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:21 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Whats the wagon he's on Clive? Nice weathering!

Mikey
LGB/Lehmann made/sold this van in many colors/guises (at least here in the US), including a yellow Lake George & Boulder, a red "Short Island RR", a grey "AL K51" and a brown DR version. I've got 4 or 5 - they are nice little freight wagons- they look great with a Stainz or similar small loco. They were about $25-$30 new when new. A true bargain.

BTW- I like the tattoo suggestion. Now I'm ganging up on you with Paul.

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, here he is, after coming through the paint shop:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_6

And from the back:

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_6b

And to celebrate the fact that today has been largely devoid of rain, snow, hail, sleet, locusts nor any other precipitation, here's a photo taken outside (first one this year for me, unless I am very much mistaken):

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Guard_6c

I am still deliberating over the 'tatoo' - my eyes at the moment are almost certainly not up to it, but possibly with an improved pair of glasses (or better still, 2 large magnifying glasses welded together at their edge) I might be tempted to have a go Cool
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:08 pm

He is looking great!!!! Well done!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Clive:
He looks great- ready for action.

I find a one of those flip up visors with magnifying lenses quite helpful for doing the really fine work.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 am

That's a real character that looks like he's actually doing something.
...and something that he's giving some serious effort too......

You should really oil those brake levers Clive.....
They look a bit difficult and rather rusty. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 am

Great work Clive!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 am

Thank you all for your encouragement and input - Bill, I think I've seen those flip-up visors before, sounds a good idea - knowing my eyes though, it wouldn't be too long before I found myself wearing it permanently Shocked

As is my habit these days, here's a slide-show of the progress:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A guard for my ToyTrain brake van   A guard for my ToyTrain brake van Empty

Back to top Go down

A guard for my ToyTrain brake van
Page 1 of 1