Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

London Festival of Model Railways

Go down 
+2
GWhizz
philkelly
6 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

London Festival of Model Railways Empty
PostSubject: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm not a frequent attender of model rail shows in UK, but Ally Pally is only a bus ride away, so I went this afternoon. I didn't think that it was as full as previously - is there a recession on or something? Too many layouts on the theme of station looping to fiddle yard behind operators.

As usual, mainly Brit and O-gauge downwards, but one of the most popular did seem to be in G: Whiteleaf. Sorry that it's a bit blurred: this is the LGB "Vivarais" Mallet.
London Festival of Model Railways Whiteleaf

It was the only layout with live steam (except someone demonstrating Hornby's 00 offerings which are steam powered using electric power from the track.)

London Festival of Model Railways Whiteleaf2

Next most popular, I thought, was the huge Hornby Dublo layout; perhaps having about six trains whizzing round on 3-rail track produced a mix of nostalgia and envy (mine was never that big!)

London Festival of Model Railways HornbyDublo

A couple of the continental layouts:

Felsen (German):

London Festival of Model Railways Felsen

and Le Pont du Vernet (fictiously between Clermont Ferrand Aurillac)

London Festival of Model Railways LePontduVernet

I did like the Ruxley Branch - GWR in Devon - if only because of its size and varied scenes...

London Festival of Model Railways Ruxley

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 am

Nice pics Phil.

Was the "Vivarais" Mallet ever produced by LGB? or will I have to get my red spray can out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 am

Great pics Phil!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:20 am

Very nice impression of the show Phil, thanks for posting.
Always dangerous to see those beautiful but other scale layouts... it can get you sidetracked...

Brian, LGB did produced a CFV red mallet; LGB 24852 CFV #413 (special edition, France market only)

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Paulus wrote:
Always dangerous to see those beautiful but other scale layouts... it can get you sidetracked...

Brian, LGB did produced a CFV red mallet; LGB 24852 CFV #413 (special edition, France market only)

Paul:
As I recall, the beautiful Vivarais mallet was also offered for sale in the US. They are however pretty rare; my guess is they weren't big sellers since there's only three or four of us over here with any interest in French railways Very Happy (I don't think Corpet-Louvets sold that well here, either). They do show up on eBay occasionally at very high prices. Sad
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 3:59 pm

and it looks nothing like a real Vivarais Mallet - just a repaint of a German prototype...
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Paulus wrote:

Paul:
As I recall, the beautiful Vivarais mallet was also offered for sale in the US. They are however pretty rare; my guess is they weren't big sellers since there's only three or four of us over here with any interest in French railways Very Happy (I don't think Corpet-Louvets sold that well here, either). They do show up on eBay occasionally at very high prices. Sad

OK then I'll put the red spray paint away!

my Birthday's in November if anybody would like to treat me to one!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:42 pm

philkelly wrote:
and it looks nothing like a real Vivarais Mallet - just a repaint of a German prototype...
Since she was built by SACM, one could say she was almost German. Smile

At least LGB got the wheel arrangement and color correct.
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Thats me looking at the Hornby Dublo!!!

Peter
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Clarkmeggs wrote:
Thats me looking at the Hornby Dublo!!!

Peter

Case for a CGT badge, Carl?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London Festival of Model Railways   London Festival of Model Railways Empty

Back to top Go down

London Festival of Model Railways
Page 1 of 1