Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roads!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Roads!   Roads! EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Last week I have made some road extension for the railway:

Here you can see the main crossroad connecting the station and loading dock to the rest of the road infrastructure:

Roads! PICT0006-vi

Turning right on the crossroad you go up hill:

Roads! PICT0007-vi

Further on the hill there is a square. It looks like a loading dock on this picture but it isn't. Actually there is a gap between the tracks and the square. The idea is to build some sort of watermill in the future and the water will stream between the track and the square.

Roads! PICT0008-vi

And the view down hill again.

Roads! PICT0009-vi

Paul
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Nice work Paul. what material did you use?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Very picturesque, is that a little 'narrow' gauge I can see in the rocks?
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks guys!

The roads are made from 'hypertufa'. It's a mixture of cement, sand and perlite. It's used in making garden ornaments (if you Google on the word hypertufa you get some examples).
I've got the idea for using this after seeing some incredible work from a guy named 'graniteshop' on the old G-Scale-Mad forum. Ufortunatly that forum is gone... Sad

Carl, you are right. On the hill are laying some H0 scale tracks (Roco new silver) as a test.
I put them there last september and they have been out all winter, including rain and snow. They still are in perfect shape. I'm thinking of perhaps making a very narrow gauge (Gn15) line on the hill (just a circle around the rocks). On the other had, it looks very much like what it is...H0 track. So I'm also considering other options for alternatives for the track using techniques like these used on the Sandstone and Termite layout.

So all ideas on tracks are welcome! Idea
Back to top Go down
stockers

stockers

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 pm

I have seen some really good model roads made from ready to lay tarmacadam. Available in bags from DIY stores for about £5. I am going to give it a go soon - will send in pictures.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 am

stockers wrote:
I have seen some really good model roads made from ready to lay tarmacadam. Available in bags from DIY stores for about £5. I am going to give it a go soon - will send in pictures.

Please do! I'm always interested in new techniques so if you have some pictures when you are done showing them is much appreciated!

bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roads! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roads!   Roads! Empty

Back to top Go down

Roads!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: