Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

computer boffs?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: computer boffs?   computer boffs? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm

anybody know why my new laptop wont open links? I left click as normal but nothing happens

mikey

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer boffs?   computer boffs? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm

I personally prefer the term computer geek(!)

To begin with:

What is the OS of your laptop and which browser and its version are you using?
How do you connect to the internet?
Can you do a loop back test (PING!) to your ISP?

regards

ralph

Mac OSX 10.6.7 Safari 5.0.5
100BaseT to DSL modem 50Mb/S
Yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
mikeyh

mikeyh

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer boffs?   computer boffs? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:42 pm

thanks for your response. i would normally now PM you but i'm sure the others will appreciate a laugh! BUT Iam using ie8; We have no broadband here and very slow dial-up. some links do work (very few though). When i left click I get absolutely no response. I've only had this HP laptop a few weeks and when i got it didnt realise that it didnt have a modem, so i am using a USB modem which works fine. Does any of this help?
clown
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer boffs?   computer boffs? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Ok -from the looks of it you seem to be using Windows possibly Windows rel 7.0? IE8 does have some problems with URL recognition -it sometime presents links in brown(?)

There could be some conflict with the mouse system -have you tried using a different browser -the obvious one is FireFox -although Opera is also a good bet.

As I stated above I am a Mac user and as I have retired I do not have much contact with Windows based systems.

The puzzling thing is the fact that you do have some internet -viz the fact that you are posting here -could it be that you simply are not giving time for the feed from the URL to get to your laptop? When I was "posted" to the Paris Office I used an ISDN modem from the USB port into the wall socket and I got very reasonable speeds from it.

Try a different browser and see what happens.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
mikeyh

mikeyh

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer boffs?   computer boffs? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks Ralph. I will try Firefox. I used to have it on my old PC but it seemed a little memory hungry (but I only had 20g then, now I've got 300 it should be OK. Yes I'm using Windows 7

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

computer boffs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer boffs?   computer boffs? Empty

Back to top Go down

computer boffs?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: