Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4 more Santons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

4 more Santons Empty
PostSubject: 4 more Santons   4 more Santons EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Another lot of santons arrived today (for those of you who don't know what they are; see 'santons' thread!). Bought on ebay at a buy now price of 2.50 euros unpainted they are excellent value. They can stay out in all weathers,but maybe wont suit modern image, but for me? superb!!

4 more Santons 003-3

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

4 more Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 more Santons   4 more Santons EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Those Santons are indeed very suitable little fellows...

I never heard of them before so the 'other Santon thread' was interesting reading. I don't know I ever saw the figures over here but now I'm on the lookout!

KleineDicke

4 more Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 more Santons   4 more Santons EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I discovered Santons on my first trip to Provence. They make wonderful souvenirs and indeed could be the population for your garden railway.

One of the most interesting times I have ever had on my trips to France was when I stopped along a back road (between Les Baux and St. Remy) at a hut advertising "Santons et Cerises". Inside the hut was a pleasant old man who had probably been making Santons all his life. At the time, I spoke little French, and he spoke even less English. Nevertheless, he proceeded to show how santons are made and tell me all about the different santons he made and what each represented. Language was no barrier and we had a "conversation" that lasted at least an hour. I purchased a creche set from him for my wife - I remember him joking about the cow eating the straw he used for packing material. It was truly enjoyable.

Several years later, I was in a bookstore near my home and noticed a book about Provence on the bargain table. I picked it up and flipped through it and there was a picture of this same old man sitting at his workbench making santons. I bought two copies - one for me and a second to give to him on my next trip to France. Sadly, when I went back, the hut was gone. I can only assume he had retired or perhaps passed away. I wish I could have seen the look in his eyes when I showed him the book, but it was not to be. C'est la Vie.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

4 more Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 more Santons   4 more Santons EmptySat May 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't know how to post a link so I'll put it here.

I can thoroughly recommend this manufacturer of 7cm santons;

'Santons de la colle noire': Chrystel et nicolas
http://stores.ebay.fr/letable-pradetanne

unpainted 2.50 euros, painted 7 euros

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4 more Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 more Santons   4 more Santons Empty

Back to top Go down

4 more Santons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: