Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Empty
PostSubject: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Reproduced from GSM, apologies if you've already seen it - the comment was made in response to the 'weary traveller' thread that other figures besides Preiser could be used. This thread describes my exploits with changing the LGB oil monkey figure.

I mentioned in my other sculpting thread about the possibilities of sourcing figures other than Preiser. Well, yesterday evening I settled down to have a go. If you have an LGB starter set of any kind, you'll doubtless have this figure (ignore the fact that I have attempted to paint mine):

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey1

All very nice, but I thought I might try to alter the pose a little:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey2

Well that shut him up! So in the now time-honoured tradition, I set to drilling holes at the desired joints, and reconnected him using florists wire (single-strand copper wire will also suffice). Oh, and just to prove a point, I gave him a new Preiser head:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey3

A quick once-over with some blobs of Milliput, and this morning we have this:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey4

OK not finished yet, but it doesn't look too shabby now. Still to be fully repainted, and maybe a hi-vis vest and some other minor tweaks perhaps, but I think it looks OK. About a couple of hours work to get to this stage I would reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:55 pm

I think his older brother works as a Gendarme. Laughing

It looks like he is actually stretching his muscles Clive. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Cheers Carl

Actually I think he has acquired 'child-bearing' hips along the way, but no matter. I might flesh the legs out a bit more to obscure that. Plus a more British style of hat, mybe a hi-vis vest and sweat rag round the neck etc. I'm tempted to do something about the oil can itself too. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility for some facial hair to suddenly appear....
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Looking good! I carried out some minor surgery on my own "oil monkey" and he's now a fireman on a footplate - but not such drastic work as you've done, Clive. I'm interested to see how well the Preiser head blends in - was that difficult? I bought some of the Preiser kit figures a while back so have some spare heads! Must get some better filler though - I am using a tube of Humbrol filler that must be well over 10 years old and isn't very effective any more, strangely enough...
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Bruce,

The head seems to have blended in well, although I haven't sanded it flush yet. Interestingly I didn't have to do any 'paring away' of plastic from the head or the 'neck' to make them flush - I think I just got lucky with my choice of head! Normally I find myself doing that so that the filler defines the neck shape. I think having a piece of wire securing it to start with gives it a better chance of staying put whilst the Milliput hardens off. I will hopefully be making further progress this evening, the results of which I will share with you all in due course. Even if it doesn't look 100% right, I'll probably disguise the join with a sweat rag round the neck, made from Green Stuff. In any event, I defy you to spot it!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 pm

On the matter of Milliput, I can't praise it too highly for this job. One thing I've learned though is to mix small amounts at a go, say a 'large pinch' of each stick, mixed together to a consistent shade of brown, then use it all and smooth it as much as possible in the first 20-30 mins. After that, it starts to go off, and thereafter smoothing it only makes for a 'ragged' finish. Not a huge problem, as you can always sand/dremel it after about 18 hours anyway and it is really smooth. Once sanded and spray primed, you'll not see the join - guarantee it!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 am

Well as promised earlier, I have spent the evening generally sanding/dremel-ing, and thereafter applying some Green Stuff in the fashion of a hi-vis vest and a British-style loco-man's hat. I had a bit of green stuff left over, so I built up the soles of his boots, which were looking a bit thin after I had cut him free from his base.

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey5

Same stage, from behind this time:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey5b

Tomorrow I shall endeavour to give him a spray with the grey primer, and maybe give him a sweat-rag round the neck, and maybe even a beard/moustache... maybe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am

Quote :
I had a bit of green stuff left over, so I built up the soles of his boots, which were looking a bit thin after I had cut him free from his base.

Excellent sculpting Clive .... but what is this green stuff of which you speak ?

Also, regarding the removal of bases .... instead of sawing across the bottom of the figures shoes, I always cut downwards around the shoes which then gives a flat base to a thicker shoe. I find this easier but of course, I am not altering any poses.

Cool
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am

MzB wrote:
but what is this green stuff of which you speak ?
Andy, the trade name is 'Kneadatite Blue/Yellow' - it's a two-part epoxy putty that when newly-mixed, it is very soft and pliant, and with care can be stretched very thinly to represent loose flappy layers of clothing. Even when fully cured (after about 18 hours or so, it is still flexible so that there is less risk of these extraneous layers breaking off with handling. It's available through Games Workshop outlets and indeed Hobbycraft stores - a bit pricey though, a fiver for a 6-inch strip - and that was about 6 months ago when I last had occasion to buy some. You can find it cheaper on the internet, for higher volumes, indeed if you do a search for Kneadatite green stuff, that will become very apparent! Mind you having said that, because I only use it for itty bitty details, a little goes a long way. These days I tend to stick to Milliput for the 'high volume' gap filling, body building etc.

MzB wrote:

Also, regarding the removal of bases .... instead of sawing across the bottom of the figures shoes, I always cut downwards around the shoes which then gives a flat base to a thicker shoe. I find this easier but of course, I am not altering any poses.
Cool
Duh! Easy isn't it, once someone else points it out to you! Cheers, I'll remember that one for next time!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 am

A quick update - just after coming out of the spray booth (aka cardboard box):

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey6

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey6b
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 10:44 am

Another quick update: Added a bushy old beard/moustache last night...

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey7

I also tried to make a pair of specs out of thin gauge copper wire, but it looked naff so I won't bother with that!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:06 pm

So last night I put the finishing touches to this figure: A sweat rag round the neck, and with a modest amount of leftover GS I made some back pockets for his overalls. Then on to the paint shop:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey8

Finally, here's a shot of our man doing his rounds of the line's U-class whilst the driver looks on:

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Oil_monkey_8b

So there you go, it doesn't have to be a Preiser figure to start with!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'   Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey' Empty

Back to top Go down

Sculpting a new figure from an LGB 'oil monkey'
Page 1 of 1