Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fell diesel locomotive

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ralphbrades

Fell diesel locomotive Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:51 pm

I have this feeling that I should have spoke to you lot about two years ago!

I am about a week away from the first firing of my diesel loco. I have spent much of the afternoon pressurising fixing the leaks from my coolant system. One of the problems I have is the simple fact that in regards to glow motors the only source of advice I have is a friend just south of Chicago and I am in the UK.

My diesel is a model of the Fell -Br 10,100 and is based on an ASP 46 Marine engine. I have a version of the Fell gearbox and it does (with a little prompting) run forwards and backwards.

Any advise before I make a complete fool of myself?

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Welcome Ralph.
I have a feeling we may have crossed paths somewhere before on another forum perhaps a long while ago.

Another live diesel person, great.

I"m obviously intrigued with this Fell loco. The prototype was a 4-8-4 with 4 engines!
Do you have pictures of your project that you can post?

We are not diesel experts here but there are a few of us dabbling quite seriously so advice maybe a little thrifty but we have some experience.

Why are you using a marine engine by the way?
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, your name is familiar too(?)

This shows the gearbox in fwd position.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic64

This shows the first set of brackets to mount the engine in the correct position:

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic93

This shows the first assembly of the torque convertor -I have yet to "clad it" in an oil proof wrapper:

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic101

This shows how I plan to start the loco. The oil cooler for the torque convertor swings out of the way and allows the rubber cup of the starter to engage directly onto the front of the engine.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic104

Power from the engine is taken off the pulley at the front and this feeds the input shaft to the impeller of the torque convertor. Similarly a pulley from the output shaft drives the propshaft to the gearbox.

As to why I used a liquid cooled engine the answer is simple. The original used one -so my model uses one! Plus the fact that I can more accurately control the temperature of the coolant liquid. I have fans cooling the pumps and fans cooling the radiators. The pump pressurises the coolant to 0.2BAR -which may not seem a lot but when a pipe comes off it is enough to squirt it quite a way... The weight of both the transmission fluid tank and the coolant tank add to the tractive weight of the loco.

I don't know what is going to happen the first time I engage the torque convertor but by that time I hope I will understand my engine well enough to stop it going too far too fast!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:06 pm

My goodness and we are worried about just a 'simple' coupling of an electric motor to a glo plug engine. affraid

The whole concept is very impressive and if it works as you plan it will be amazing.

I had a look at your website and here's the link which is a comprehensive report and interesting read on this machine.

Fell loco live diesel

I'm not sure there's a great deal I can help you with but it looks to me like it should all work.
Although I may have gone for a 4 stroke engine which would a bit smoother than the 2 stroke and it is possible to get a diesel head conversion for some 2 strokes.
Has this engine actually been running on a test bed?

Have you built any previous locos with a gloplug or other i/c engine?

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:23 am

Actually this will be my first attempt at anything using a glow motor! The first firing of the engine is scheduled for next Saturday Afternoon. I did use a couple of "FROG" diesel engines in my teenage days -but since then nothing.

It is nice to get a second opinion on all the gubbins though(!)

Tomorrow is scheduled for final assembly and fitting of the engine mounts which will be welded up and bolted to the frame. Thereafter nothing will move when I hit it with the starter. I am going to fabricate a "testing silencer" from a treacle tin and some silicone tubing -this will aid those people near it who (unlike me) can hear! It should also capture quite lot of the gunge that would otherwise be splattered all over the bystanders...

The next diesel on the list is a version of "Ixion", one of the very few Class 97's ever to make it to preservation -for obvious reasons.

Thank you for examining the "patient" !!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:29 am

Wow that loco looks amazing...what a creation and i love the way you are trying to make it as real as possible.

I think a massive part of building these diesel locomotives is patience and im afriad that is the one thing a lack servilely...

Having not even finished my first diesel yet, i am already starting a second and i am currently working on my 3rd loco but this time in 5inch gauge instead of 32mm

I love the gearbox and the way youve created this water cooled mashine.

Would those plastic gears withstand all the torques and speed of what you IC engine will kick out as you have said its a 46 size engine and i have used 12 and 15 sizes and they seem beefy enough?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyFri May 06, 2011 6:03 pm

ralphbrades wrote:
Actually this will be my first attempt at anything using a glow motor! The first firing of the engine is scheduled for next Saturday Afternoon. I did use a couple of "FROG" diesel engines in my teenage days -but since then nothing.

Tomorrow's the big day..... Laughing

I've just bastardised another cheap 2nd hand Kyosho engine. Fed up of trying to find a 9mm carburetor so I bored out the carb housing to 10mm to take a an existing carb I have. silent

I shall try and fire this up over the weekend and now I have some clutch parts from Anton...thanks, I can experiment with gearing and leave the other good Kyosho engine for the actual loco/railcar installation.

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyFri May 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Good luck Ralph

Patrick
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Well I got it to fire... Now it seems that I have to re-tighten every single nut and bolt on the loco!!! The model is covered with oil -most of it from the self undoing allen bolts on the exhaust manifold. At the end of the first 2 minute test run I had "lost" 1 M4 nut and bolt and several M3 ones. The good news is that the coolant system performed well -but then on the second test run -it blew up!!! The fan died on me and with the coolant temperature rapidly rising I put my thumb over the carb intake and everything stopped. The temperature of the coolant rose and held steady at 30C during the first test. The engine started with "some words" and it started cleanly the second time. I will have to modify my starter system though, the yellow rubber cup tends to fly off when I pull the starter away from the running engine. I think that I also need to investigate some form of "over run" clutch for it

The next thing on the shopping list is a shed load of lock nuts!!!

The fuel clips didn't work to my satisfaction and weeped -so I undid them and WIRED the hoses to the pipes -this held it all leak proof. I also need to find some method of easily filling the fuel tank when it is locked into position. At the moment I am using a "squirty bottle" with a valve and filling the tank that way.

The noise was as bad as everyone feared. I was the only one NOT wearing ear defenders, and this was with the "Super Quiet" silencer...

I think that I terrified the neighbours though! A voice calls out "The System is LIVE" -there is a muted whirring from the pumps, then "Cranking!" and the starter screams and then the engine squeals away at 1/4 throttle. The longest I have had it running is for 6 minutes on the second run -now everything will have to wait for a new fan and some lock nuts to come through the post.

Am I unhappy -NO. It was a test run and as such it provides data on the problems to be solved.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat May 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh! for a video of the event bounce

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon May 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Well at least someone is having some success.... Today was going to be THE DAY I got the torque convertor finished and working. Now all I have is a pile of precision scrap!!! This is the SECOND torque convertor that I have trashed -so there has to be something fundamentally going wrong?

I think the problem I am having is oleo kinetic shock.

The T/C starts to fill and the oil catches the turbine blades BUT the point at which the turbine blades catch the oil is at the edges -where they are moving the fastest. From tests using the chuck of the lathe and a huge rubber band (I kid you not!) I know that the design when full of oil will transfer power very well. The problem being that the turbine blades hit the oil and it is like hitting a solid object -the result is shards of blade tip and bent things all over the internals. Not even Salvador Dali would find it attractive...

After having sat down and had a good cry in my beer -there are now several options that I have to think about.

To start the engine with the T/C already flooded and somehow "feather" the turbine blades on the driven plate in the same manner as a MekHydro.

To start the engine with the T/C already flooded and somehow "valve" the fluid between the two turbines. This would mean building two separate chambers and plumbing for them.

Ideas, comments, etc!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon May 23, 2011 6:20 pm

It is a very ambitious and enterprising project Ralph but something that is in a different direction to mine.

I would love to be able to suggest something useful but I'm afraid no.

Maybe you will end up going the way the Western Region did and use diesel electrics.....

Wink
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Thank you -but I will build a genuine Derby Diesel if it kills me -and at this rate it most probably will!!! A nice person from Glasgow has supplied the answer to the problem -the problem is CAVITATION. The solution is to feed the oil from the centre outwards from the rear of the turbine disc thus the oil is moving at something like the speed of the driver turbine when it hits them.

The tips of the blades have been suffering from mini sonic booms...

Now that I know what the problem is I can sit down and well -third time lucky!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:51 am

I split these posts from the old thread (Live Diesel 2). It makes your project easier to follow.
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Well at the end of the second afternoon of test running I am happy to say that the engine was "noticably" quieter. It still sprayed oil over everything but I did not lose too many nuts and bolts this time -but I did lose some from different places this time... This series of tests was designed to examine how well my cooling system was now running so -for the first time we had an "endurence" test. The first run was two minutes long and the initial readings from startup were:

1: 24 C
2: 27 C

After a pause to tighten up the ehaust system and see where all the new nuts and bolts had come from... I gave up on using a gasket for the engine to exhaust system, (bits of it were just splattered around anyway! ) and simply applied jointing compound to the two cleaned faces and tightened everything up solid. This seems to be the best method as they were still tight at the end of the second run.

1: 32 C
2: 34 C
3: 36 C
4: 36 C
5: 36 C
6: 36 C

So, looking at the results it appears that my cooling system can keep the motor at a constant temperature of 36 C. This gives me something to work on. I now have a steady state temperature of 36 C and a rate of flow which is 1.2 litres per minute. This means that the radiator is cooling the volume of liquid over it at the same rate regardless of the volume -in short this means that I can reduce the volume of the tank. In theory I could dispense with the tank -but perhaps not yet!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Well Saturday afternoon was a complete "Agh no -what now?" session...

I had poured threadlock into everything that could possibly move and they held -but of course this moved the problems somewhere else! The flywheel for the engine became unlocked and the whole thing then "ate" the starter lugs on the starter rod. After having silver soldered some new ones on it -the nut holding the nut holding the pulley on the starter motor came loose and yet again -nothing....

I am going to have to have a re-think about how I start this beast. Because at the moment it is a two man operation and I have to produce a system that can be started and run by a single operator (me!) Rather than a starter rod I have wondered about a huge rubber belt from the pulley to the engine flywheel -but the tension required to hold it fast could well lift the loco off the tracks and I for one doubt the safety of trying to re-rail a running loco. The main problem with the starter rod is when I withdraw it from the key slot on the engine shaft. The recoil from the engine twists and throws the starter rod into the air and it goes for about 3 metres! I am currently investigating some form of "over run" coupling that would allow me to withdraw the shaft from the key slot without it being thrown around. I was very used to having to hand crank my father's Morris Oxford and I soon learned to "slap hold" the handle of the starter -but I cannot see how I could do the same here(?)

Time for some exploratory surfing I think.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Ralph, I can't quite visualize which end you are starting the beast from!

With car type engines people often replace the pull starter with a proprietary accessory of a geared socket and use a starter rod in a cordless drill. Or one can buy fixed electric starter motors as add-on accessories.
This is on the non-flywheel end and is fitted with a one-way bearing so that there is no engine recoil when started. These one way bearings can be fitted to many popular engines. There are a lot of dealers on e bay.

If you start from the flywheel end how about a thicker knurled flywheel and use a thick solid rubber wheel in a drill pressing against the side.

This was popular in the old days (pre-1980) for starting model cars before reliable pull starters.

If space is restricted try a right angled drill/chuck.

Just a word of caution with electric starters is the temptation to keep turning the engine over if it won't start initially. The internals of these glo-plug engines are easily damaged by 'over starting'.
If there is compression, fuel and a good glow they should start with little more than a flick or two.
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Carl,

If you look at the 2nd picture you will see the fly wheel end of the engine. There is the slot for the starter rod to "key" into. The starter rod is made from a length of 10mm silver steel rod and a hose lock pipe fitting (would I lie to you???)

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic110

The other end is the propellor connection silver soldered to it.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic109

The orange end then wedges into the yellow plastic cup on the starter motor.

I will investigate e-Bay following your advise -I hope I get lucky!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Ok....

I have ordered from eBay UK a 1/4 inch drive 14mm socket and a 14mm "over run clutch" with an 8mm bore -which for some reason they now insist is called a one way bearing(?) I intend to mill out the end of the socket to 10mm and braze this to the starter shaft. Then, hopefully this will give me something that I can turn the engine over with and will dis-engage when the engine fires. I am going to have to custom make the fitting for the engine to the over run clutch -but this was expected...

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:14 pm

So, nearly six weeks from the last entry -what have I been doing on this loco. The sad fact is not a lot -but we do have a nice new kitchen, a new back door and ground floor "facilities"...

Now that it is safe to begin work again(!)

I have got the loco engine fine tuned enough to go for a full 15 minutes on 250ml of glow fuel and it growls happily at reasonable low enough revs for me to begin experimentation. This details the production of Torque Convertor mark 3.

Having aquired two propellors I then began to mangle them to requirements. The first prop was brored out to 5mm and a 5mm bolt soft soldered to it. The bolt them went into the lathe and a 3mm hole bored 20mm down it.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic124

Into this hole a length of M3 threaded rod was inserted. There is a spacer nut which is CA'ed to the thread. The other prop was bored out to 6mm and a M6 threaded bar inserted into it and then CA'ed solid in the hole. The end of the hole then had a 3mm ball race fitted for the 3mm threaded end from the other prop to slide into.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic125

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic126

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic127

THIS version of the torque convertor is going to be made with 6mm thick polycarbonate. It is thick enough for bullet proof glass -so I have hopes..... after the usual nasties of trying to saw polycarb -i.e. keep the saw cold and play a stream of water on it to make sure it doesn't think about getting warm. Polycarb melts at around 80C which is easy to produce when sawing and drilling it -sometimes the only way to extract your drill or saw blade is smash apart the thing you are trying make with a hammer and start again...

After due dictionaries of "words" and "pleas" I got my pieces cut and rough CA'ed then together.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic128

The next step was the drill (carefully) the re-enforcement holes and then tap them for the M3 bolts that would hold the sides whilst more treatment was administered to the casing... Tapping Polycarb is WORSE than tapping Copper. You forever live with the perpetual fear that what you are tapping into will melt and entomb your tap in it!!! I cut it 3mm at a time and "rested" the tapping Tee tool on a bock of ice. I may have suffered third degree frostbite -but it never stuck in any of the holes.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic129

After having poured the best part of a bottle of thin CA around all the joints on the inside and left it outside overnight to cure it was ready for rough treatment...

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic130

As you can see none of the sides is the same height -despite my best efforts with a saw(!) I needed to produce a parallel face to the open face -this meant putting it in the milling machine. It is said that there are "Lathers" and "Millers" I am definitely a "Lather" as me and the Mill do not get on at all!!!!

After some improvisation in the clamping dept -it may look wild -but nothing would move -which was the point.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic131

The edges were trimmed to height with an 8mm end mill and filled the shed with the evil snow that gets everywhere... A little further along and the casing now sports M3 tapped holes on the driven face and the driven prop has been test fitted to see it is clangs against anything when twirled -it didn't fortunately.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic132

The final shots show the casing with the two props test fitted (the driven prop clangs slightly and will have to be trimmed to diameter on the lathe).

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic133
Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic134

The raw shafts will sit in ball races and have to have thrust bearing fitted to them. The next stage is the plumbing part and the problem of sealing the front plate. I do have gasket paper but I think something a little more robust might be needed(?)

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Excellent progress pictures Ralph. Even i could follow them and understand what was being done. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm

A summer evening has been spent playing with water.... I connected up the Torque Convertor and plumbed in the pump -which fed from a large jug of water. The Torque convertor leaked all over and to be honest I expected it to. BUT on the plus side it leaked very little from the face plate and mostly from the bearing holes.

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic135

The driven side is turned by the wheel brace clamped onto the shaft and the system turns quite nicely thank you!

Fell diesel locomotive Fellpic136

I did some "Classical Physics" experiments with the the T/C as it was being pumped. To one side I affixed a 1 pound kitchen weight and then to the other side a 1 ounce one. Both weights were connected to their pulleys via lengths of "button thread" and the 1 pound weight dropped over the side of the sink onto the floor. The 1 ounce weight rose a few inches in the time that the weight fell to Earth. Thus I can say that for every pound I put into the T/C I get 1/16th out. This multiplied by the gearbox gives me 90 ounces for every pound that I put into the T/C. I think the loco will move...

This raised the question -exactly HOW much force do I have to put into the gearbox to get the loco to move? After some due experiments with weights and thread I can state that the gearbox will move under 2 ounces of weight and the loco will move under 4 ounces of weight. Translating this into "real world" figures that I can think with...

The pulley wheel is 2.5cm diameter thus 1.25cm radius.
The force on it is 4 ounces = 133 Grammes
Thus the torsional force is 133 / 1.25 Grames per Centimetre = 106 Grammes per Centimetre = 1.08 Newton Metres

Which is not a lot!!!

Working back through the maths the loco will produce 1.08 / 5.8 * 90 = 16.76 Newton Metres

I think this loco will pull a couple of carriages...

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Amazing..... study

This should be exhibited somewhere.....
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm

I am suitably impressed. geek

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 pm

The next step will be to produce a cylindrical shape inside the T/C as at the moment it is simply square. (I suspect that there is a lot of loss due to turbulence...) There being an extreme dearth of correctly sized tubes available in the house (i.e. none) I am going to have to cheat... There are two ways to do this; EITHER I take a short length of drainpipe and saw it into four quarters and stick them on the inside corners to produce a "cylinder like" shape for the water to move around in. OR I cut some sheet brass and roll a tube from it. The first option is by far the easiest and the second will produce the most accurate shape. Which ever option I choose the corners will require "packing" with P40 glass fibre putty to hold them in place and to stop the corners being distorted by the force of the water on them.

After having "sat down with a cup of tea" I am going to use the first option as it is bar far the simplest.

The next thing I have to do is to "calibrate" my new T/C. The only thing that I have that I can say with decimal point accuracy in the rotation dept is the lathe... I do have an 80mm chuck that I can bolt onto it (or the far heavier 100mm chuck) to provide me with a flywheel rotation at any speed from 100 RPM to 2,000RPM. All that is needed is a large rubber band(!) Delving into my collection of bits draw unearths an old belt from my turntable (it is a genuine brown fuzzy felt covered Dunlop SystemDek 3 that I have had since 1982 -and I wouldn't swap it for anything).

I know the rotation of the chuck to a decimal point per minute -thus giving me a linear speed for the 80mm chuck.
I know the diameter of the pulley (25mm) and thus the multiplication factor = Pi x 80/25 = 10.05

So it should be an easy task to ramp up the T/C to the full 4,500 RPM, (450RPM from the lathe chuck), that the props are capable of, and hopefully nothing bursts!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive Empty

Back to top Go down

Fell diesel locomotive
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-