Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fell diesel locomotive

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ralphbrades

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 pm

The next step will be to produce a cylindrical shape inside the T/C as at the moment it is simply square. (I suspect that there is a lot of loss due to turbulence...) There being an extreme dearth of correctly sized tubes available in the house (i.e. none) I am going to have to cheat... There are two ways to do this; EITHER I take a short length of drainpipe and saw it into four quarters and stick them on the inside corners to produce a "cylinder like" shape for the water to move around in. OR I cut some sheet brass and roll a tube from it. The first option is by far the easiest and the second will produce the most accurate shape. Which ever option I choose the corners will require "packing" with P40 glass fibre putty to hold them in place and to stop the corners being distorted by the force of the water on them.

After having "sat down with a cup of tea" I am going to use the first option as it is bar far the simplest.

The next thing I have to do is to "calibrate" my new T/C. The only thing that I have that I can say with decimal point accuracy in the rotation dept is the lathe... I do have an 80mm chuck that I can bolt onto it (or the far heavier 100mm chuck) to provide me with a flywheel rotation at any speed from 100 RPM to 2,000RPM. All that is needed is a large rubber band(!) Delving into my collection of bits draw unearths an old belt from my turntable (it is a genuine brown fuzzy felt covered Dunlop SystemDek 3 that I have had since 1982 -and I wouldn't swap it for anything).

I know the rotation of the chuck to a decimal point per minute -thus giving me a linear speed for the 80mm chuck.
I know the diameter of the pulley (25mm) and thus the multiplication factor = Pi x 80/25 = 10.05

So it should be an easy task to ramp up the T/C to the full 4,500 RPM, (450RPM from the lathe chuck), that the props are capable of, and hopefully nothing bursts!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 pm

You are correct about the shape/turbulence causing losses; there is a reason why torque convertors are cylindrical. I don't know the diameter of the props, but could you get a short piece of PVC pipe large enough to fit around them (like a shroud)? The closer you contain the blades, the more efficient your power transfer will be.

Have you thought about heat generation and dissapation in your torque convertor? I suspect it may be an issue.

What fluid do you plan to use inside the TC?

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:33 pm

The props are 60mm. There is no commercially made poly pipe of the required internal diameter. I have some idea, (Joule was not alone!), of how much heat the props will cause, this is why there will be a cooling system -this is a modified Pentium 2 fan cooled heat sink used as a surface radiator on the out flow from the T/C. A similarly modified AMD XP1700 Heat sink is used to cool the glycol/water mix that is pumped around the engine cylinder head. After 15minutes of running the temperature of the coolant from the engine was 43 degree C -the Pentium 2 Heatsink is bigger...

The fluid will be water -possibly with something like "Fernox" in it(?)

I did originally plan to use SAE30 motor oil -but this is now very hard to find in the quantities that I need -I would need at most 500ml...

The original idea was to use a system not unlike the Voith L25 -now it has come out as similar to that of the Mekhydro!!! But it will have to a flood/empty system based on the modified windscreen washer pump -which being a "gear type" can be reversed. I am going to have to "fudge" a set of Single Pole Dual Throw Relays to give me a three status system on the pump. Fill . Stop. Empty.

This will have to "interlocked" (probably with diodes) to the gear change motor which has to physically drag the dog bevels across the Graft gear to select Forwards and Reverse. As to HOW I get the Graft to lock into place whilst the dog bevels are slid across, I am not too sure. It does seem that I need to make and engage some form of parking pawl to hold everything rigid and then link this (somehow) to the "Stop" mode of the pump. Possibly I could use some form of solenoid to hold the pawl in the "off" position whilst current is flowing to the pump? It would have to be slow to engage -but quick to release.

It is nice to be having fun again!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 pm

PVC pipe is available in the US in sizes up to 24 inch. 60mm is only about 2 1/2 inches and one can buy 2 1/2 inch in schedule 40 or 80. This coupling for example.

I'm surprised 30 weight motor oil isn't available. It's very common in the US. But I don't think I'd use it for your hydraulic fluid. Not sure which Fernox product you are referring to either.

Propylene glycol might be a good choice, either neat or mixed with water. It is innocuous (edible, in fact) has a higher viscosity than water, but is not too high. It also has a higher boiling point. PG is commonly used as antifreeze for potable water systems in camping trailers, so it is available at camping supply stores in handy quantities (at least here it is). Mineral oil (available from a druggist) might be another good choice.

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Ralph, I think SAE 30 is still about in the form of chainsaw oil , at least thats what my chainsaw uses. My lawn mower also specifies SAE 30, checkout your garden centres, motorcycle shops used to be a good bet , used to put SAE 30 in front forks.

McCulloch SAE 30 ebay

This thread is rather fascinating although beyond my comprehension most of the time so hope it helps.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am

William,

"Fernox" is a UK common additive to pumped water heating systems -anyone with a "Glow Worm" or "Combi" boiler knows it well... It stops foaming in the pipes and prevents corrosion of the metal parts. Mineral oil is uncommon here -the last time I saw it was in my early twenties I think. I will check out the local plumbers merchant while I am in town on Friday -I may get lucky!!!

Patrick,

Thank you for the link. I had not thought about chain saws and the oils there have given me pause to think about what I might now use. One alternative I had thought about was cooking oil, (honestly!) I had tested it with my pump and it worked well. The main problem would seem to be to get an oil that is viscous enough to work in the T/C and liquid enough to pump with my pump....

If you are worried about not understanding anything here -join the club!!! The basic idea for building this came from memories of watching my mother use her Hoover "Twin Tub" washing machine and how it made all the washing go around without touching any of the clothes. The actual information to build it and the calculations involved come from old BR technical manuals that I have acquired over the course of years from "Preservation Railways" that I have visited. I have learned to be very "poker faced" when it comes to bargaining(!)

Regardless of what I use for a working fluid in my T/C I am still stuck with the problem of seals for the bearings. I think I have to go with a rubber backed greased felt seal and simply accept the fact that it is going to weep -but hopefully not that much!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Ralph-
The mineral oil I refer to is commonly used as a laxative, so it should be available at a drug store. Cooking oils tend to get gummy after a while - oxidation, perhaps?

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm

William,

Oh! The mineral oil I thought you were referring too was the one used in Citroen motor cars like the D type and GS oleo-pneumatic suspension systems. I would never have associated that phrase with laxatives!!!

Yes, cooking oils would oxidise and form sticky gums -but the system would be easy to clean down with conventional detergent cleaners. The plus side is that it would work well at the temperatures that I am using and be easy to find...

I am going to perform my basic "proof of concept" tests with water plus fernox and then use cooking oil for the installed T/C in the loco. The few trials I did with ASDA vegetable oil seemed to work and the pump did work with it in both forwards and backwards mode.

Once I have a good seal and suitable liner shape for my T/C it might prove to be quite a machine?

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I love an engineering challenge, so I will be watching.

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Well I found a length of 60mm ABS pipe and split it into 4 quarters and then stuck the pieces into the corners of the the T/C. This gives me a roughly cylindrical shape to play with. The next stage is to pack the cavities behind them with P40 fibreglass putty. Once this whole lot has set solid it then goes into the lathe and I very gently try to produce a cylinder from it with the boring bar. I did spend some time this morning looking at my loco and the shell that is going to have to go over it. The idea is that I hinge one end (the one without the engine!) and once the engine is running the whole shell then flops forwards on its hinge and away we go...

I tried four times to get the shell to fit....

It seems that despite all the measuring the shell lips are "just that bit" tight. So it is going to be out with the sanding block to take off some of the edges on the sealing lips. Once on the shell fits like a glove -but unlike the glove I seem to have a 3 fingers, a thumb and big toe on my hand!!! This is because I tend to produce "exact fits", and once something moves -or has to move in an arc -it just catches. If I engage reverse gear and drop the shell absolutely vertically on the frame -it fits. What is going to have to be done is that the lips of the shell are going to have to be ground to take a hinged arc motion.
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

The modified T/C is now being tested with weights and thread -and so far it has been quite an improvement. I knew that I was loosing some power due to turbulence -but to be honest I did not think it would be that much! The first trial showed that the 1 pound weight was now capable of lifting a 2 ounce weight at speed and then a 4 ounce weight showed that it would be suspended at any height. This shows that the now cylindrical interior of the T/C has improved between 100% and 400%.

I have worked out the amount of torque that I am getting out of my T/C -now I have to work out how much POWER I am getting out from it.

Converting everything to SI (!) shows that the driving weight 0.453Kg takes 2.3 seconds to fall 0.8m -this gives me that the input power to the T/C is [0.453 x 9.81] x [0.8 / 2.3] = 1.54 Watts

The output power from the T/C is [0.056 x 9.81] x [0.8 /2.3] =0.19 Watts

Therefore lost to heat is [1.54 - 0.19] = 1.35 Watts

Pumping rate is 1.2 litres per minute thus the volume of water per second is 20ml thus the water leaves the T/C raised in temperature by [1.35 / 20] = 0.06 degrees Kelvin. Which may not sound a lot but I do now have some idea of how much heat I have to get rid of through the T/C cooling system. The modified surface cooler made from the Pentium II heat sink plus its 40mm fan should be enough. The problem is the volume of water that I have to pump into the T/C to fill it and then pump out the T/C to drain it. Whilst this is happening the loco is still being propelled!!! I think I have a workable system using solenoids to hold on a parking brake which draws its power from the "drain" setting of the pump and the best place to engage the "parking brake" is I feel on the main pulley from the T/C.

I am starting to run out space rapidly....

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Right. What you see below is my "doodle" of what the system should do (I hope!)

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Fellpic138

I have ordered the bearings and relays from my suppliers and it is up to "Her Pinkness" to cut felt washers to pack the sealing glands that the input shaft and output shaft will have pass through. I have no idea how leak proof greased felt is -but I can devoutly hope that it is better than what I have got at the moment. Yes there is a reason why the experiments are being carried out on the drainer of the kitchen sink....

Having used a device called a "Rotary Evaporator" in my College days I do know that centrifugal force will cause the fluid to cling to the sides of the the T/C as it operates and the air will be forced to the centre -and thus not leak.

I am still debating whether to use oil or water in the T/C. One of the problems I think I might have with oil is that the props will convert my oil to dirty whipped cream... I have this horrible feeling that the only way to know -is to try it.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 7:30 pm

At the end of a Sunday "in the shed" I have fitted T/C version 3.... (And if this doesn't work I give up and go and cry in a corner) To fit it I had to saw through my chassis rails on my loco -this does mean that one end of it is now errr suspended in mid air whilst I figure out how to re-nforce it. I do have some wood that will probably be epoxied in place.

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Fellpic140

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Fellpic141

Tomorrow evening will most likely be spent soldering the electrical switching system for the pump and solenoid for the the T/C. On Saturday I bought a few metres of "hook up" wire to begin building the loom for the loco. It is now time to take apart the lash ups for the cooling system and start hard wiring everything in place. The next step after that is to begin "hard plumbing(?)" the pipework into the frame. The next series of tests on the loco will concentrate on the T/C -should it survive first filling.... There was a recent "Mythbusters" in which they used Sodium Bicarbonate to break open a Gaol door -the pressure was less than 5 pounds per square inch. I have no idea what the pressure will be inside the T/C once it is running. It is made of 6mm thick polycarbonate which from my experience will take a grade 2 lab explosion (100Newtons impact) -my safety glasses are made from 8mm thick polycarbonate!!!

The question is -how much pressure will 6mm polycarbonate take with 3mm thick stainless steel bolts through it?

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 am

Probably a bad time to raise this issue, but is an external pump necessary to pump the fluid thru the cooler? Couldn't the T/C itself provide the motive force to do this?

I don't think the polycarbonate itself is the concern. The weak point is probably at one of the joints or fittings, or even in the tubing.

Whatever happens, your perseverance and creative engineering should win you some sort of prize. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 am

Unfortunately I do have to continuously pump liquid through the T/C. This not only cools the fluid (oil or water) but more importantly will remove air dissolved in the fluid out of the T/C. The air will fall out of solution and form a foam that will transmit no power.

As to winning a prize on the record I have at getting these thing to work I fully expect a large

"Wooden Spoon"!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I comprehend the need for circulating fluid thru the external reservoir and cooler. I was wondering if the t/c could double as a pump.

Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 6:11 pm

The centrifugal action of the fluid will force some of it out through the outlet. In fact there may have to be some form of restriction on the outlet to prevent this becoming a limiting factor on the volume of fluid held spinning in the T/C. If all goes well the T/C will appear to fill from the outside towards the centre. The problem is when the level of fluid falls below that of the turbines. Then I am afraid it is down to external pumping...

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Well after another day at the front... I tested the newly built control panel and found that, (somewhere), I have a major short circuit -Hey Ho! So, in the spirit of "what the hell" I unshipped the T/C and began testing in earnest. I can report that the fill drain system works and that whilst under test the T/C did not explode -although the seals will have to be rethought....

The pressure inside the T/C was only 1.3 BAR and whilst it worked the amount of fluid loss was on the order of 75ml per minute.

This may not sound a lot but the jet of fluid was at least 4 metres high and quite painful when I tried to stem it with my thumb. The tests had to be stopped at 3-4 minute intervals to top up the fluid tank, (red coloured water). The bottom of the garden looked like an explosion in ketchup factory. Possibly I think again on how I circuit the fluid -There was a drip collector system on certain locos to deal with just this problem. I have to ask myself would it be a good idea to have the T/C simply vent to air and dribble down into a holding sump and pump from that? (Hmmm....)

I am going to have to replace the M3 cap heads with epoxied lengths of M3 threaded bar and then produce a squishy rubber gasket as the std gasket paper and sealant that I use on the the car would not seem to be up to the job. This will enable me to apply rather more torque to the nuts on the face of the T/C than I can do at the moment. If I apply too much I will simply end up with M3 sized holes as I completely strip the threads there in the Polycarbonate.

The grease felt seals at the shaft holes do not seem to be much "cop" either... Repacking them and tightening them has reduced the dribble to a weep. What did make the most difference was lowering the voltage to the feed pump from 12V to 6V -but the amount of fluid that is going to have to go through the T/C means that the higher voltage will be needed.

All in All a good first test!!! THIS IS THE FIRST ONE THAT HAS NOT EXPLODED....

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Well I gave in with being squirted at and returned to the problems of wiring and changing the gears. The gear change system has sat on the side of the kitchen for a few weeks now and to be honest it is way past it being fitted!

So, Saturday afternoon I sat down with a set of needle files an slowly worked "the shape" into a length of deal which would be the reach rod for the gear change "ballista" pin to be forced to move against. In its simplest form -it is a wedge... However due to the requirements of moving and locking the pin the actual shape is a delicate flattened 'S with a hook at the end of it'. And if it is not absolutely true -it BINDS. It took nearly two hours of "Ho Hum" fitting and getting the reach rod through the gap until at last it lifted and latched "like a good un". Not that I had a smoothly contoured shape it was time to fit the gear change motor to the reach rod.

This sits at an angle to the reach rod. As the motor winds the saddle down the thread the angle between the pin on the saddle and the reach rod becomes less as the reach rod is wound into the slot of the "Ballista". This makes the reach rod move initially slowly and then at the end of its movement quite rapidly to lock the pin into its new position. The reverse action uses the hook and to grab and trap the pin against the slide thus slowly forcing the bevel gears across the graft gear.

I know it sounds complex but it is actually very simple!!!

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Fellpic148

Some slightly painful experiments showed that the reach rod "in" position is now designated as REVERSE and the motor has BLUE as positive. The stall current on the motor is about 6 Amps and it changes gear in about 0.8 seconds. There were a few ouch moments from hot cables!!!

Now that I have a working gear change -despite the protests of the motor. I then test fitted my control panel It is shown here only supported by two of the bolts and it sits directly above the gearbox -so I have to build some form of protective cage for the gears.

Yes, the leads are too long, however this is easily fixed with the soldering iron -and the may not be that much too long once they have been threaded into the loom and thence to where they have to go.

Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Fellpic149

It is actually quite a simple board -the duff relays required the entire pump drain system to be rebuilt (ugh!) and their replacements are a little large in comparison -but they function well and that is all that I require of them.

The rest of my weeks time is going to have to be finding some way of making a seal on the power shafts of the T/C. Greased felt does not seem to hold much above 1 BAR so I am going to try to greased leather and we will see what happens.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 pm

After having had a good thought about it and slept on it I have decided to go out and buy some commercial oil seals. Getting the correct sizes proved to be far easier than I thought and the only problem I have at the moment -is the fact that everyone is on holiday. Since the same is true of the supplier that I will have to use to get the finishing things for the T/C I am not overly concerned. The only seals that will fit are (typically) far more expensive than the normal ones used in the car world. They are both 16mm diameter and I am not sure if I have a mill of that size -but I definately have a "spoon" bit of that size. The polycarbonate is 6mm thick and the seals are 7mm thick. This means that I can legally sandwich the seals between two sheets of polycarbonate -I will have to cut an inset into the side of the T/C and then construct a flange with an inset to sit over the seal and then (somehow) stick the flange to the side of the T/C. This as they say is going to be "fun"...

Polycarbonate is the least forgiving material I have ever worked with -so I will have to make sure that everything that I use is icy cold and wet. There is a good chance that I will get even more wetter than I would get testing the T/C seals that I have made... But on the plus side I do feel that I am on the homeward stretch with this loco. I have gone through -"OMG I have had enough of this thing!" and the "Whatever made me try this?" to the "Now I am getting really bored with it..." and finally into the "It might actually work?!?!?" frame of mind.

The last loco I built, (The Krokodil), I kept a track of all the expenditure that I did and showed that it was possible to build a 1 metre long Gauge '3' loco for under £200. This week I will pass the £500 barrier, this makes it the most expensive loco that I have ever built and I think that I will be another £200 before I see it running on the tracks...

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Today has been one of those days in which you look around for someone or something to MURDER.... I found out why I seemed to be blowing fuses all the time. The batch of 10Amp fuses I had got from Maplins were a complete waste of time. I tested the fuses BEFORE I fitted them and found that I had 7 out of 12 that were there -already "gone" before I fitted them. I have spent nearly two days in careful circuit dissection trying to find the non-existant short.

I then sneezed and yanked the daughter board with timer circuit on it needless to say it hit the top of the main power capacitor and is no more.

Deep Breath...

I packed everything away and went shopping in town for the bits to replace what I had just scrapped. I will now replace the fuse holder with a circuit breaker. Even if it trips it will reset once the circuit is dead -or it has cooled again. So I might get bored with the waiting but at least I will be safe(!)

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 1:16 pm

OK -after the postman has delivered I have enough materials to continue... The 5mm and 6mm bore high pressure spring loaded Viton Oil Seals have come from Holland, the super smooth niodynium silver steel bar from Sheffield and the M3 threaded titanium bar has appeared -"from somewhere"...

I think that I can now "legally say" that I am on the final construction phase of this loco.

The oils seals grip the silver steel bar quite firmly -but I am assured that once you have, "oiled them", they will slip quite easily along the length of the rod. The M3 threaded bar will enable me to apply ridiculous amounts of torque to the nuts Arrow to get a seal on the faces of the Torque Convertor.

This time it will not leak- or else(!)

I have the new parts for the timer that I "smoked" and the power diodes for the gear change. The servo that will control the throttle awaits installation and I have on order the two R/C relays and the new 2.4Ghz RC system. I am buying a new one as buying a new one is £10 more than buying a new 6 channel Rx unit and battery pack...

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:32 am

Well after a Saturday and Sunday in the shed I decided to try out my new improved Torque Convertor. I did a static pressure test up to 1 BAR and nothing leaked -I was amazed!!! I placed it into the loco and wound up the system with an electric motor (after having removed the glow plug).

1,000 RPM holding pressure 1.4 Bar
2,000 RPM holding pressure 2.25Bar -idle speed on engine
3,000 RPM holding pressure 3.7Bar -Torque convertor lowest "connection" speed
4,000 RPM -the system failed at a new point!!!

The plumbing system made of polypropylene piping burst and was thoroughly sprayed with home made ATF....
Nothing new there, but it does mean I am one step closer to the actual running of the loco. If I can sort the plumbing problem out over the next few days I will have a go with a live test from the engine at the weekend.

hey ho!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm

I know it is called "Personal Pride" and "Peer Group Compulsion" but I really have got to get this loco working!!! So, Tomorrow I am going to charge up all the electrical equipment batteries / starter plug etc and grease and oil all moving parts. And then after a suitable lunch on Sunday -commit mechanical mass mayhem.

The system has been "static pressure tested" to 6.0 BAR and nothing has ruptured, exploded, or otherwise mis-behaved. Although I have yet to fire the engine and REALLY wind it up -I am feeling nervously confident(!)

There is a Get-To-Gether of the Gauge '3' Society at Butterly Railway Station on the 1st of October and it would be nice to sit there and calmly state -"Yes It Works".

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Ralph, i would love to see a photo of the loco so far, and PLEASE video your efforts on sunday as im sure it will make for a very interesting watch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 pm

I don't know if this is going to work! But as requested Anton -here is the Fell under test.

The first part shows the cooling system running up -note the pump and fan flapper moving.

The second part shows the torque convertor being flooded and drained by its pump.

The third part (and I nearly screamed in frustration!!!) shows the torque convertor JUST at the point of solidus and the gear box moving. Any more throttle everything vanished into the blur and any slower nothing moved....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asnLCNDAB2E

Lets hope it works!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fell diesel locomotive   Fell diesel locomotive - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fell diesel locomotive
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next