Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Empty
PostSubject: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Hello again

Having cleared my backlog of figures that have been completed in the past few months, I am now able to share the progress on my current project.

A bit of a social comment, is this one - I imagine that one would find someone like this outside a station, regardless of where in the world that station is.

Anyway, it seemed an interesting subject to try and model, so here are the progress pics so far.

The body of the man is entirely from Milliput on a copper wire armature, using the same technique as was shown here:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_01

The copper wire, being stiffer than florists' wire was a little more difficult to shape how I wanted it, but I managed it. The loop around the top (which when cut will form the arms) is itself formed by wrapping the wire around my thumb.

Once the initial application of Milliput was dry, then I was able to straighten out the arms:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_02

Next it was time to try and form the limbs into an appropriate pose:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_03

As you can see by this time I had realised that doing a face for this figure was likely to be a tall order, plus all my stocks of 'Fimo' had gone off - so I decided to take refuge in the excellent sculpting capabilities of Messrs Preiser once more. But, by way of a compromise, I decided to add another dimension to this character - a dog:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_04

Indeed, the dog part of the project progressed in a parallel activity The legs and tail were made from Grey Stuff, to give them a little more security from accidental damage:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_05

The dog's head was made separately from Milliput - a bit fiddly, and even then needed to be glued back on as more than once it snapped off whilst I was trying to sculpt the muzzle, eyes and ears:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_06

Man and dog were reunited for this next shot, which by now shows the man with his arms in their final position, and he now has 'feet' - well, shoes. I also found a tin cup in my box of odds-and-ends, so I decided that would make a reasonable begging bowl:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_07

More progress on the dog followed - I made ears from yet more Grey Stuff. At the same time, the man had a hand - only one, as I wanted to portray someone trying desperately to keep warm by enclosing one hand with the other:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_08

Yet more Grey Stuff was used to form the 'clothing' on the man - top of the trousers, shirt sleeves, neck of the shirt, and indeed the bottom of the shirt at the back:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_09

I then returned to my technique of using tissue-paper soaked with dilute PVA glue to form the wrinkles and texture of the shirt:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_10

Then I turned my attention to the face - far too clean-shaven for someone in this sorry state. So I added a proliferation of facial hair. You can't see it in this photo, but it is also very long at the back:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_11

Then, as if to add insult to injury, I decided that the shoes should themselves be made to look in a poor state, so I added some 'soles' from a very thin strip of Grey Stuff, and made it look like the soles were hanging off his shoes:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_12

So, that's where we are with him at the moment.
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_13

I will update again when this guy (and his dog) are complete.

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Real nice work Clive! Great job on the hands! These are very hard to model but these look real good. Nice detail on the soles! Just need a hole in one of them also ;-)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks Paul.

I wish I'd thought of the 'hole in the shoe' before sticking the sole on... I'm frightened of messing it up now! Shocked

Anyway, over the weekend I put the finishing touches to this figure... if you've followed any of my other 'figure' threads before now, you can probably guess the next 3 pictures:

The spray-primer pic :
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_14

...Followed by the painting:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_15

... and the finished article:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_16

Another shot which shows the face a bit better:
One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Beggar_16b

I might make a blanket from tissue paper soaked with dilute PVA, and maybe a scattering of coins in and around the cup, but that's for another time I think.

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:58 am

an excellent pair of scroungers Clive!!
dont take this the wrong way, but if i were you I'd make a diorama,say a metre long, of the back of a station with a bit of track, Include all your figures and go on the show circuit!
Of course finding the time to do that would be another story!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm always amazed at how you turn the bland Preiser faces into real characters.

All power to your "putty" fingers!

Keep em coming!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks, Mikey and Brian

Oddly enough, Mikey, I have been pondering that very notion - back in March I attended the South Hants MRC's show at a nearby school, during which time I got talking to some of the old regulars I remembered from my time as a member of the club about 10 years ago, They were intrigued by the notion of someone demonstrating making a figure in this way, and it was suggested then that I try and come up with some sort of 'static' layout to show them off whilst I was demoing the doing of it. Well it just so happens I have a couple of baseboards in my garage (4ft x 2ft) so one of those would probably do the trick. As you say though, it's always the lack of time that's the problem!

As far as figure detail is concerned, Brian, I like Preiser figures primarily for the crispness of the moulding, especially the faces! Something that I have never been able to do as well as I would like from scratch. Far easier to add some detail to an already well-detailed face than to try and mould a blob of putty into something that wasn't reminiscent of a hideous genetic experiment! Shocked

Clive

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 am

Great work. I still fear if I tried to make a figure, it would look like a cartoon character of some sorts....

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 am

This one is great - the rest are too - but what have I missed ? You now mention "grey Stuff" in the past it was "Green Stuff" is there a diffence.

As a ps, I recently had to repair a ornament for my MIL, it was several elephants standing on each other. Over time bits had broken off and the baby at the top had lost its legs and tail. I am happy to say that your work inspired me to give it a try and I was very very pleased with the end result as was the MIL. I think green/grey stuff would have been handy - I broke the tail twice until I used brass wire as a former. Getting the colour to match was hard , I tried a wood stain and the milliput wouldn't take it, in the end I had to get out my acrylics and try to mix the brown, then I used a brown shoe polish to shine the whole thing up a bit - it's great you cannot see the joins at all. Alas no pictures of the final product.
I don't think I would have had a clue if it hadn't been for the YAF series. Ta Clive

Elephants

Patrick
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks Patrick

Grey Stuff is, I guess, largely similar to Green Stuff. Certainly the physical properties are the same; in that even when cured it's quite flexible. The main difference for me is cost! I first used Green Stuff, getting it from my local Games Workshop - £5 for a ribbon of it, about 6 inches long. That was fine, however i found that if i didn't use it within a certain period of time, the material started to go off of its own accord - i am guessing where the active chemicals leached into each other, at the 'join' .

Then on a visit to my local Hobbycraft store a couple of years ago, I found 'Grey Stuff' , made by an outfit called Gale Force 9, which was being sold in separate tubs for a tenner. Two years on and i am still only a quarter of the way through it, and none of it has gone off!

But really, as far as modelling is concerned there's nothing to choose between Green or Grey (apart from the colour of course)

Good work on the elephants by the way! I'd say you made the right choice with Milliput actually, as it's easier to sand smooth and is more likely to blend in with the existing material. Also, I think with Grey (or Green) Stuff you'd have had trouble painting it unless you primed it first.

Clive

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Clive, I am sure you explained all this a while back, but I was thinking it was in fact stiffer.

Love the dog BTW

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch   One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch Empty

Back to top Go down

One man and his dog - (almost) from scratch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: