Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An indoor diorama in G-scale

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

An indoor diorama in G-scale Empty
PostSubject: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am

I have been thinking quite a bit over the weekend, about a possible theme for a diorama in which to display the small army of figures I seem to have amassed. I have the beginnings of an idea, and hopefully I will be able to share whatever progress I make here. The theme is I think a simple one: a single track with a single platform and a low-relief station building as a backscene. Towards the front of the board (4ftx2ft) there will be a couple of sidings with the suggestion of a goods platform at the front of the board. To one side of the board, the 'main' track will cross over a disused canal, at an angle.

I intend using Peco code-250 rail as I think it will look better. I also hope to enhance the atmosphere of the scene by using sound effects (not too loud though)

Thoughts so far, anyone?

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 am

I am sure that if you have anything at all to do with it, it will be pretty good.

Yesterday by coincidence , fed up with my lack of inertia to do absolutely anything concerning laying track outside, I decided to put some track on a couple of spare chipboard panels in the basement. It's probably 10ft x 1 and a bit, just barely wide enough to lay 3 tracks. This is all just to see if a small end to end is feasible - it could be Smile .

So yes please show us the goodies as it comes along.

Edit : Oh dear - I meant LACK of momentum or TOTAL inertia.

Patrick

Last edited by pjti on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Sounds good Clive. could be a busy scene, not only with the figures you have made but those still in your imagination!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 2:11 pm

clive_t wrote:
I also hope to enhance the atmosphere of the scene by using sound effects (not too loud though)

Thoughts so far, anyone?

What a great way to display your modelling talents. My only suggestion: add a cafe and a little music. Edith Piaf perhaps.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Sounds like you have a good idea already Clive. Looking forward to seeing your diorama.

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 pm

A suggestion if I may...

It would be nice if this was portable and exhibitable. A shame to have it permanently at home I think.

All that modelling skill should be seen in the 'flesh' by a wider audience.

Just a further thought.....You could even construct it to the same board specifications as the réseau de MOMI and you never know one day that it might come together at an exhibition somewhere.

How are you going to 'fit in' all the figures into the diarorama as some are quite diverse? Are they going to be in specific situations? Bill's café sounds a good idea though.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Oddly enough, I had a big attack of 'cold feet' after i posted this, imagining that it would be a bit of a non-starter. I doubt it will happen immediately but i am sufficiently inspired to attempt it, so thanks for encouragement, folks!

I have a sort of a sketch plan of roughly what i want to do, so will scan and post that when i can.

Carl, it was with exhibitions in mind that i came up with this idea - i know the Solent G-Scale show is coming up in about 4 months, so who knows i might have something to show by then. I don't think the baseboard is modular-compliant, though, being an imperial 4ft x 2ft. It's been maturing nicely in my garage these last 20 years, so seems a shame not to make use of it! Also, i will be using Peco track, which is a different rail section to LGB. I do know though that the Solent Group have a modular layout of their own, which always seems to attract interest at shows.

No, in my head this is just a diorama - a vehicle in which to display figures - and possibly the odd item of stock. I don't think i'd be able to exhibit all the figures simultaneously, there are so many now it would look a bit silly; but possibly i would be able to 'rotate' the squad as the day wears on!

So, let's see how this pans out,,,

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Here are some badly-drawn, even-worse-photographed sketches of my idea:

An indoor diorama in G-scale IMAG0033

An indoor diorama in G-scale IMAG0032

I have today ordered some track from Track-Shack on the Isle of Man - typically I have ordered far more than I need for this particular project - I guess subconsciously I am preparing for the possibility of adding a second 4x2 ft section!

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Some progress on this over the weekend, which has been pleasantly warm and dry, so ideal for working outside. Firstly, a bit of a dry run with some LGB track that I was able to borrow for evaluation purposes:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing1

A good rummage round the back of the garage yielded half a box of kitchen flooring, the thin MDF kind - ideal I thought, for making a box-frame type of layout, which should help to keep the weight down. I also found some long, approximately 2 inches wide offcuts of MDF from a previous project, which I decided would be ideal for the walls of the canal itself:
An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing2

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing3

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing4

Then today, a bit more progress:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing5

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing6

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing7

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing7b

From what I can see, I think I am going to struggle to get two siding-tracks in, but I think I will know for sure next weekend when I get to resume this.

Still, not a bad start!

Clive

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Looks very promising!

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm

A bit more progress from last weekend - but not before I managed to try out the board with the PECO track purchased from John at Track Shack - very prompt, effective service from him, with reasonable postage costs too.

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing7c

In this photo you can get a better look at how close the tracks are! The green coach is perched on what will be the 'through' line, whilst the other two are on the sidings. I'm not sure how prototypical those clearances are, but I am going to go with them.

Anyway, this weekend, despite the appalling weather, I was able to clear a space in the conservatory and set to work with doing a bit of measuring and cutting. I have cut access holes in the rear walls and the inner panel, so as to make it possible to fit sound sources at various points around it. It might also allow me the opportunity to fit lighting at various places.

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing8

At one point it got difficult to cut and measure in the same place as it required for to dismantle the board, do the cutting, then reassemble... so eventually I moved the board into the dining room (why else do we have dining tables, I ask you!):
An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing9
Here you can see that I had a subtle change of plan, in that the siding lines are on a slightly lower level than the main line, just as an attempt to add a bit of visual interest, e.g. with a small retaining wall along the side of the main line.

It occurred to me that I would have a great deal of difficulty in modelling the canal walls once everything was glued in place, so I kept those bits back and packed everything else away. Then yesterday I experimented with trying to create a block type wall, using some white Milliput - yes, I found a use for it at last! Firstly, I scored the MDF to break up the otherwise smooth surface:
An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing10

Then I mixed up a big old lump of Milliput, and pressed it and spread it with my fingers and thumbs, to a reasonably thin layer. Then finally I scored it with a modelling knife to represent joints:
An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing11
It looks a bit untidy, but I am hoping that once sanded and filed smooth it will look ok. The acid test will come of course when I come to paint it - at the moment there is a reasonable chance that moisture will be absorbed from the paint, causing the MDF to swell and shed the Milliput layer! I will try this on this small piece first, to see what happens! I will report my findings as and when!

Clive

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 pm

You don't hang about.... Wink

Excellent project, that's giving me some ideas for a scenic section on my portable layout.

What's the weight like so far?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

It's not that heavy at the moment - the heaviest bit is the bare baseboard, but it is cumbersome to lift and port about alone. If I get a chance I will have a go at weighing it next weekend

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:43 am

Coming on nicely Clive. I dont understand why the track is sitting so high IE outside of the 'box' Do you plan on storage underneath?
mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 am

Mikey, the track is that high up in order to clear the canal

I'm trying to keep the thing as light as possible, and also to give myself the chance of fitting electrics should the fancy take me . However, it should also be possible to use some of it for storage of bits and pieces. I am going to add a low-relief back-scene, which in theory could be interchangeable: maybe a station platform, or a terrace of houses, or something else.

Clive

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 am

Quote :
In this photo you can get a better look at how close the tracks are! The green coach is perched on what will be the 'through' line, whilst the other two are on the sidings. I'm not sure how prototypical those clearances are, but I am going to go with them.

Such narrow clearances do exist in the 'real' as well on yards were trains run slowly.
Below 3 links to pictures from the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Wirksworth.
On the first you can see how close the tracks (standard gauge!) are at some places. Take a look at the men, imagine him between the 2 right tracks wit trains on it...

picture 1

And on this picture, take a look at the locomotive and passenger coach. You can barely walk between the trains.

picture 2

And the third picture showed some real 'limited clearance'; this is why you never recklessly stick your head out a train...
picture 3

Keep up the good work Clive. It's becoming a great diorama! I hope to see it once in real!

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks for the links Paul, very interesting.

I also have some ideas for my abandoned canal now, having found some excellent photos on Flikr last night. Unfortunately our downstairs shower room is apparently leaking water behind the tiling, so I suspect I shall have to suspend further development for this weekend at least whilst I attend to that.

Clive

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

clive_t wrote:
Unfortunately our downstairs shower room is apparently leaking water behind the tiling, so I suspect I shall have to suspend further development for this weekend at least whilst I attend to that.

Stop showering?

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Some modest progress over the weekend - in between re-tiling half the shower area and making a prosthetic door frame from Milliput, thanks to a cowboy builder, one incompetent and one officious council officer at Portsmouth City Council, and a desire to actually get it done properly this time round.

I clad one of the other pieces of canal wall, and scribed stonework as with the previous piece. Then I set to sponge-painting it with various shades of grey acrylic:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing12

I think it still needs a little something, but it will do for now.

I then needed to get some sort of base for the canal floor, so that I can build up the 'silt' that seems to accompany canals falling into disuse. As luck would have it, I found an offcut of very thin chip-board, the kind of thing you find at the back of flat-pack kitchen units - or, more accurately, at the back of very cluttered garages:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing12b

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing12c

I was going to cut the canal floor so that the sides were glued on top of it, but that would have meant that the walls would then sit slightly higher than where I wanted them. However, that, coupled with the feeling that the canal would be too deep to be silted up easily, led me to think up a better way... to glue some thin batten to the bottom of each wall, and then rest the canal floor on top of that! So that's what I am going to do when I next get a chance at doing this.

Clive

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 am

Nice job with the wall clive

Patrick
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Bit more progress over the weekend - the canal unit was glued together, using a hot glue gun:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing13

It was braced underneath by the same thin batten that served to raise the floor of the canal:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing13b

Then some Milliput was pressed into the gaps in the various wall sections, and scribed as before:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing14

I then set to work glueing the various pieces of the main board together:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing15

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing15c

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing15e

And in answer to Carl's question about weight, I can officially confirm it currently weighs 10kg!

I am attempting to keep the canal section removable, so that maybe in the future I can drop in an alternative scene, one where the canal has been restored... indeed, I am toying with the idea of making the adjacent houses, the goods yard and the main line itself all separate removable sections, for the same reason...

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice work Clive. I like the idea of removable scenes. Really widens the possibilities

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 6:20 pm

I think you need a bit of guidance Clive - why don't you pop onto the ferry and come to Spain. I have a project table top layout that you can practice on and I will watch to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 pm

lol!

The other benefit of making several little vignettes, is that once I'd constructed the basic shell to fit the main board, I could then work on the scenic aspects of each bit without having the whole thing in the house.

Also, porting the thing around could be easier - if I end up doing this on my own, I would be a lot happier about carting the basic board and the various scenes separately - less chance of stuff getting damaged too.

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 am

Some more progress this weekend...

We now have our trackbed, from some more spare kitchen flooring:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing22

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing22b

I did some work on the model jolly-boat too, to make it a bit older-looking and allow me to distress it a bit more:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing16

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing17

I also made a start on the internal tunnel walls - brick this time, hand-scribed again! :

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing18

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing19

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing20

I still have the other wall to do, as well as to work out how to do the roof.

It then occurred to me that the retaining wall for the siding could be a little more decorative, so I made some insets:

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing23

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing24

An indoor diorama in G-scale Canal_Crossing24b

Clive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale Empty

Back to top Go down

An indoor diorama in G-scale
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: