Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An indoor diorama in G-scale

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
k&nwlr

An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: All drawn from memory ....   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:19 pm

clive_t wrote:
Yes, brick- and stone-work all scribed by hand - very much a labour of love obviously. Just a personal preference I guess, but it looks a bit better when painted and dry-brushed etc

I agree with you, though if things are quite some distance 1.5 - 2+m from the viewer, I think that brick paper actually doesn´t look too bad. The new mill on the Kent side of the K&NWLR is actually covered in paper and does look quite good (he said, coughing modestly).
But the viaduct for the rack railway is so close to the viewer that it has to be done the old-fashioned way, though I´m using "styrodur", which is quite quick to do. Well, I use the word "quick" in its geological sense.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:27 pm

P.S. How thick a layer of Milliput are you using to cover your wooden constructions. I was pondering about using it for cobblestones, rather than the very fine grained modelling plaster I´be using in the harbour.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 pm

It's about 2 mm thick - i made sure to score the surface with a sharp knife and in some cases drill a series of holes in the mdf, in order to give the Milliput something to cling on to.

It could be used for cobbles, but you might make life easier for yourself if you had some kind of 'cobbles stencil' to press into the surface when soft. scribing cobbles into cured Milliput (which is rock hard!) would definitely not be my idea of a nice, easy, short task!

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:27 am

Hi Clive
Nice to see you back on the forum, albeit to talk about old projects.
Sorry that life events have got in the way of your modelling ambitions. It would be great to see you back here whenever you get the chance!
Does this mean that your work on G scale figures has also taken a back seat? My Gendarme and Onion seller are still pride of place on my railway Very Happy

[img]An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 Contre10[/img]

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 am

Welcome back Clive. Life does indeed take us over sometimes, and projects get left by the wayside. I am HOPING to make some inroads into my weed infested layout this year (more concrete and weed suppressant covering as things got really out of hand. Hears to a good year for all.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 am

clive_t wrote:
It's about 2 mm thick - i made sure to score the surface with a sharp knife and in some cases drill a series of holes in the mdf, in order to give the Milliput something to cling on to.

It could be used for cobbles, but you might make life easier for yourself if you had some kind of 'cobbles stencil' to press into the surface when soft. scribing cobbles into cured Milliput (which is rock hard!) would definitely not be my idea of a nice, easy, short task!
Thanks for the advice. Í wasn´t planning on waiting until it dried! On wet plaster, I´ve used a pair of compasses (as last used in maths lessons ...) to simulated (and speed up the construction of) curves of cobblestones. Providing you keep the gaps between the curves similar, you can "quickly" created interlocking concentric part-circles, which look fairly plausible. Not so great a technique in tight spaces .....
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

One other thing about the thickness of the Milliput - the mdf I used was some old 'Kitchenflor' interlocking floor panels, which were about 8mm thick and not given to bending or warping very much. I imagine that anything thinner would mean some sort of bracing being applied to avoid that, and thereby avoid shedding the Milliput layer.

@Brian, I haven't done anything even remotely railway-related for about 15 months now. Not even figures - I did spend most of last year making a 'Donald and Daisy Duck' cake decoration for my daughter's wedding last October, and that took pretty much every spare moment I had.

@Peter, I know all about weeds on the line, I have an impressive collection of them here too. My line looks more like the Lynton and Barnstaple post-closure these days, it's about 2 years since anything last ran on it I think.

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Clive it is great just to read your posts again even if the S&CGR is quiet at the moment.

If you ever feel like resurrecting this superb diaroma perhaps we could make an adaptor piece or board to line up with the modules that Brian and I have made.

I would even like to do an expo in the UK sometime maybe around your area, easy ferry from Caen/Le Havre......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An indoor diorama in G-scale   An indoor diorama in G-scale - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

An indoor diorama in G-scale
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: