Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RailExpo 2011

Go down 
+7
KleineDicke
antonr91
Bearcastle
GWhizz
David Grantham
Paulus
Carl Hibbs
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
antonr91

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 7:22 am

Thank you to everyone for making the short stay i had at the expo very enjoyable and it was a very nice experience to be around like enthusiasts. Ive also learnt alot about different aspects of live steam which has made me interested in acquiring something at some point. geek

This is a video i have put together of the live diesels that ran the day i was there.....(trying to get as many likes as i can Wink...enjoy)

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Glad to see the films and pics rolling in.

I have some more diesel film that I'll post in the relevant threads for the specific locomotives as there were a few observations particuliar to each model, notably some possible overheating after consecutive runs causing the fuel to 'thin out' and draw air in.

I have a bit more steam film featuring the Chiemseebahn tram loco which ran impeccably for a good 45 mins for the first time in nearly 2 years!

So after Railexpo what's next then?

My wife did ask if I'll be packing the trains away until 'next year'....well that's only 31 days time. Laughing

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
So after Railexpo what's next then?

Well from my point of view you're due a visit chez nous for an Open Weekend next summer! and Don't forget your commitment to Daniel for a MOMI module at Chatellerault!

Not too many noisy diesels though Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 pm

antonr91 wrote:
Ive also learnt alot about different aspects of live steam which has made me interested in acquiring something at some point. geek

Glad to see you've developed an interest in Live Steam as well as those noisy "D" things!

Look forward to meeting you, in 2012 perhaps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Well from my point of view you're due a visit chez nous for an Open Weekend next summer!

That's about 3 years overdue. I will have to plan my summer holidays around your open day.

Quote :

and Don't forget your commitment to Daniel for a MOMI module at Chatellerault!

Not too many noisy diesels though Rolling Eyes

Well actually I was thinking of a theme for the module and...err... a diesel depot would be interesting and very useful....for diesel locos. Cool
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:29 am

Just back home from Brive after travelling south after the Expo.

What a great exhibition and marvellous to meet up with Carl, Paul, Laurent, Anton, Gabrielle, Geoff and the others. Margaret and I really enjoyed the railway and social aspect of the exhibition.

Very many thanks to Carl for all of his efforts in organising such an excellent CGT display and for the kind welcome we received.

When I have unpacked I will see if any of my numerous photographs are fit for publication and if they are NOT I will post them shortly. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:53 am

Glad you had a good time David and I hope Magaret was not too bored, if she was she certainly didn't show it.
It was a pleasure to have your company.

I'm really sorry about making you bring that locomotive all the way and not being able to run it. Embarassed

A 32mm track is one thing that I will have for next time which if invited to take part will be at Halle St Martin in Pontoise which is to the north west of Paris and more accessible.
There is public transport, trains 10 mins sensible walk and buses to the door plus two hotels round the corner.

Plus.... I will be making a lifting bridge so there'll be no more excuses from anyone for bavardage on the outside. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Quote :
.... which if invited to take part will be at Halle St Martin in Pontoise which is to the north west of Paris and more accessible.
There is public transport, trains 10 mins sensible walk and buses to the door plus two hotels round the corner...

When is that going to be?
Pontoise sounds very good so I can avoid Paris (it took me an hour on the 'Périphérique' get from south to north on the sunday evening...).
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 7:04 pm

It will be the last weekend in November.

If I am there and you want to come again you can take the N104/N184 around the north of Paris from Charles de Gaulle airport and the A1. That will take you almost straight there.

Next year's event will be much bigger, twice the size in fact and will have double the number of layouts. I certainly expect more G scale.

At the seemingly endless speech session on Saturday night, JC outlined his plans which include cooperation from the SNCF and AJECTA with a possible visiting steam loco/excursion from Paris gare du nord.
There will be national television and press coverage too.

I will make some changes and improvements to the portable layout but I would welcome suggestions from anyone on the forum including those who were at Villebon and were involved first hand.

At Pontoise there may be another expo in April albeit much smaller called Ferroviart. I will let you know if I am involved.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Sounds good! Sure like to go (april and/or november) so if you go let me know.

About the layout, perhaps it's an idea to make the short sides a bit longer. This will make the layout wider and provide more space on the inside for those standing in the middle. Perhaps by 100 cm. although I think even 50 cm will already make a difference.

The lifting bridge is a great idea!

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:42 pm

A short clip of the Chiemseebahn tram engine running light.

This is probably my favourite engine that I have when it runs perfectly.

The burner is ferocious as with some other Regners and is difficult to lower enough to stop the safety valve blowing. It also howls a little because air is being drawn in very fast.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Possible ideas for consideration

- Wider sides as per Pauls suggestion
- Some semaphore signals. I can donate/provide some.
- An absolute block signalling system demo.
- Maybe more decentralisation of tasks e.g drivers, live diesel shed foreman, signalmen, fit controller etc.
- Use of an automatic railcar to shuttle along a short section of track (I have one)
- Rolleblock demo onto 32mm narrow gauge.
- Presentation on live diesel design and build
- Videos of home garden lines
- Use of a railer in one siding for assembling trains
- Some tame diesels with real sound units
- A competition for the kids
- A coal fired steam locomotive
- Maybe better to have more 45mm tracks and storage than some 32mm

My apologies. I know most of the above may not be practical its just that I occasionally revert back to a former life. Evil or Very Mad

The block signalling could be as simple as 4 sections, 2 bells and 2 signals. It could be enhanced to include block instruments repeating the status of each section e.g section clear, train in section. It would only be practical to do this for a short time, say 5 minutes per hour, otherwise it would be too tedious and there would be a reduction in train movements.

PS Covadonga is having new bogies so that it can run on 45mm tracks.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:42 pm

The blocksignaling system is a great idea David. I remember Geoff and you talked about it and it sounds great, specially when the semaphores are connected to it (if possible).

Carl, that Chiemseebahn locomotive runs beautiful. I'm looking forward to your yet-to-be-build Chiemseebahn diesel you mentioned. That would make some extraordinary twin locomotives!
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 pm

My second (and last) video. Took me longer to make because Moviemaker somehow did not want to convert and save my project each time I tried... I've made this one tonight using Nero Vision Express.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_012

Carl fuelling his Edrig

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_013

Carl claiming the protype block instrument needs miniaturising

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_016

Laurent

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_017

Margaret Grantham in the inner sanctum

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_019

Geoff telling Carl how long his container wagons are with the lady in the background suspended from a large frying pan

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_022

The majority of the protagonists, Geoff, Carl, Paul and Anton

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_023

Star of the show and ran like a dream

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_024

Such was the quality of the CGT stand even some of the wagon loads were working steam models

RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_025

Again the star performer without her top on
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Some scary pictures (of me) David....

But I like this:
RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Expo_024
It's nearly a great picture except for the half drunk tea.

Stunning engine...shame about the gauge. Wink

The cork ballast worked out quite well (now in the Charente...) and the walling and station have potential for the future.

I shall look at all the suggestions and with a few of my own I'll make a list of work to be done in the new year.
The bell/block signal system is must in a simple form and even with me just ringing that daft reception desk bell it created some side interest.

I don't think there was really an outright star of the show because everyone had something good and interesting to show and/or run.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Quote :
I don't think there was really an outright star of the show because everyone had something good and interesting to show and/or run.

True! But there was one locomotive that turned out to be the absolute workhorse of the show and that was Geoff's american Bachman engine. That one was running a lot of the time and must have made many miles!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 am

Apologies. I did not intend that the glowing caption, on Carl's diesel picture, infer any denegration of all the other contributions at the Expo. I should have proof read the caption.
Paul's wagons and VW, Geoff's US stuff, Anton's live diesel and Laurent's goodies were all extremely valuable contributions and helped make the Expo a wonderfully enjoyable weekend.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 4:33 pm

And your contribution too....... I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   RailExpo 2011 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

RailExpo 2011
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7