Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ExeterChris

Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  Empty
PostSubject: Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?    Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 pm

LGB Radius 2 track is 765 mm radius, and PIKO do some that is 920 mm radius - so an extra 15.5 cm radius.

LGB radius 3 track at 1175 mm is almost certainly too big for me to fit in the space i have although I do consider 'leading' track in i.e. r3 track-r2-track-r1 (bit) - r 3 track.

The general rule is that bigger is better and I'd like a PIKO railbus for flavour but with individual units at 50 cm long then my cardboard mock up (see blog) looks a bit unweildy.

Will I see any difference visually (or operationally) if I move to the wider radius PIKO track ?
(At the moment I've mostly got 300mm two axle stuff with a couple of longer items).
Back to top Go down
http://patiorails.blogspot.com/
clive_t

clive_t

Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?    Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Can't comment on Pikey Railbus, as I don't own one - however I can tell you that the LGB pignose is not a huge fan of R2's... it will go round them, but the wheels do rather squeal a lot! In theory though, any LGB stock should negotiate an R1 never mind an R2 (albeit with some breathtaking overhang on a 2-10-2 for example), so I would have thought you'd be OK. Your transition curve idea is a good one, I know several people who have used that trick.

Personally I'd be inclined to go for as big a radius as I dared, and disguise any sharp curves with, say, buildings or earthworks, such as a cutting or similar.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?    Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:21 am

You will likely "see" a difference. Will it run better? I have read it runs OK on R1, but doesn't like reverse curves. Check out this over on "another forum".
http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/f/tm.aspx?m=70888
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?    Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Will I see much difference on curves by moving from 765mm radius to 920 mm ?
Page 1 of 1