Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Derek's Live Diesel

Go down 
+3
Carl Hibbs
antonr91
dereks
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dereks

dereks

Derek's Live Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi all.
I Have been building this live diesel for about two years now, (Only just found this forum a few days ago) and who did I find on here but Carl who was my origional insperation with his Monster diesel.
I am now going to try and put my story here so far once I have worked out how to use this forum as this is the first time for me on any forum Smile (I live a sheltered life).
Derek's Live Diesel Traxxa11
My first challenge was to find a donor engine that I could start easilly so i opted for the Traxxas Ez start system.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Derek, nice to see another person who has in interest in this kind of power. This forum must have more members with diesel models then anywhere else in the world Very Happy

Have you got a completed locomotive or is it still in the building process?

Anton
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 pm

antonr91 wrote:
This forum must have more members with diesel models then anywhere else in the world Very Happy

It is certainly getting that way. I counted 12 projects/locomotives existant or in the process of.

What is this Traxxas ez start thing then Derek? New to me.

Looks from the pic like a starter motor pre-installed.
Have you tried it yet?

Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Anton.
Yes its still in the building stages at the moment. I must admit i have not done anything for the last few months untill I found this forum after finding your project on Google, now this has got me all fired up again. Smile
I will try and upload some more pictures tomorow and all my pitfalls including broken drive couplings between engine and generator.
I to also used the same MFA motor as Carl for the generator.
I tried a flexable coupling from a company called ruland (sorry cannot post the link for 7 days) but this snapped after the first short run due to the momentum of the generator still spinning after the nitro engine stalled.
I am basing my loco on aclass 25 diesel.

My story for my line is they purchassed a cheap standard gauge diesel loco and converted it to narrow gauge bogies.
Its good to find others interested in the same project's.

The Ez start system is a starter motor permantly connected to the back of the engine, this was still strong enough to start the engine even with the large MFA motor connected.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Ahh, i see, yes i would love to see some photos of it Smile

I dont know whether youve seen any videos of my loco but if not here it is.

The reason why i say this is that you can very easily use the MFA to start your nitro engine, and then it means you dont have to have any of that fancy stuff and more to the point youl have more room on the loco (which i definitely need).
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:06 pm

If you are using a separate starter motor there is no real need for the DC torpedo motor as such.

Hae you considered a much smaller in size BLDC 3 phase motor as Troy and I have used recently?

These are very efficient at producing electricity and much less torque/load.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 am

dereks wrote:

You could do with one of these then Very Happy

Derek's Live Diesel Obd2
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:03 am

I was trying to thinking who else had made the class 25 on this forum, :p as i remember asking you questions about the dimensions of the loco as i used them when making the Warship. Did you rebuild it by the way Troy?
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
If you are using a separate starter motor there is no real need for the DC torpedo motor as such.

Hae you considered a much smaller in size BLDC 3 phase motor as Troy and I have used recently?

These are very efficient at producing electricity and much less torque/load.

Hi Carl.
Have you got some more information regarding the BLDC 3 phase motor as this would be much better and less load on the coupling when spinning at high revs.
the reason I went for the built in starter is I am able to start the nitro engine on only 7.2 volts meaning I am able to build in the batteries for this making it self sufficient.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:46 am

[quote="Sparkeswood"]
dereks wrote:

Very nice, my bodyshell is no way this good.
i will upload some pics of how far I have got tonight.

Last edited by dereks on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 am

antonr91 wrote:
Ahh, i see, yes i would love to see some photos of it Smile

I dont know whether youve seen any videos of my loco but if not here it is.

The reason why i say this is that you can very easily use the MFA to start your nitro engine, and then it means you dont have to have any of that fancy stuff and more to the point youl have more room on the loco (which i definitely need).

Very nice. I have not got this far yet only running on a test bench.
I will upload some pics tonight.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello Dereks

I've ordered a Traxxas last week the one with the starter.

I will not have the rest of the parts before xmas.

I waiting to see your result on the bench test with it.
I've ordered as well the quick start box.

And yes I am planning to built one, must be contagious Carl....
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

That's 13 live, live diesel projects then!

Looks like it is catching Laurent.

Imagine the day when they're all running. Shocked

I am still looking at the forum to see how we can hive off the diesel stuff to another section.
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi All.
So here goes, the all important pictures. This is the first item I have ever scratch built.

Derek's Live Diesel 115
Here is where I started soft soldered a basic chassis.
Derek's Live Diesel 410
I then measured a sheet of aluminium which would have the nitro and generator attached to it eventually. This was made to be removable when finished.
Derek's Live Diesel 510
I wanted to make the bodywork bolt on in sheets a little like the real thing so I soldered up a framework.
Derek's Live Diesel 710
Next the nitro and generator are bolted onto the removable tray. Also added cooling fan at this stage.
Derek's Live Diesel 810
I wanted to make my own air box as well so used some old tin. Also mounted the standard exaust with an extra piece added so I could mount it above.
Derek's Live Diesel 1210
I mounted a pair of Aristocraft bogies.
Derek's Live Diesel 1410
I made a mock-up of the body just to see what it looked like out of cardboard.
Derek's Live Diesel 610
Then cut them out of 2mm ply and glued together.
Derek's Live Diesel 1610
These where made to just slot on and off and just 4 small brass screws when in place making them easily removable when needed.
Derek's Live Diesel 1710
Sides where made up the same way and just bolt on and off.
Derek's Live Diesel 2010
Receiver, radio batteries, tank and switches are mounted on one end.
Derek's Live Diesel 2110
Traxxas Ez start circuit board was removed from its plastic casing and mounted inside.
I mounted the 7.2 volt pack in another box mounted underneath.
Derek's Live Diesel Dscf0110
This is now how far I have got with roof half started.
Derek's Live Diesel 2210
Have also got a volt meter permanently connected and wireless camera in cab front.
Derek's Live Diesel 2310
I still have lots of work to do including the coupling which broke and the body to finish but hope to get it running very soon with some videos.
Below is the modified coupling.
Derek's Live Diesel Hpim0010
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm

A bit of a dark horse.... this. pirat

An impressive surprise too. I had no idea that you had got this far and I'm waiting with impatience to see how it runs.
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm

thanks.
wasn't sure if I over did it with too many pics as ive not done forums before.
BTW where did you get your BLDC 3 phase motor from?
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 am

Looks great, some very good attention to detail and i am impressed with the body, far better then anything i have managed to make so far.

Do you have a railway to use it on?
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Excellent pics,

like the idea of the air box with a grill in the body!
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:55 pm

I have a small layout in my back garden which is a work in progress still Very Happy
I have also had a go at casting my own bridge - pics to follow
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 am

Well not trying to sound to forward and rude, so forgive me if i do, but i am looking for a railway to come and run 'Shunt' on, as it is very difficult to use it on my tinplate layout. The videos below shows some of the difficulties i am facing:

I know certain parts of middlesex are fairly close to where i live, so if you ever fancied having another diesel trundling round your layout, then please let me know geek Razz
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:29 am

Hi antonr91
I'm running 45mm at the moment - is yours 45mm or 32mm?

You're more than welcome to come round anytime though
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 am

Mine runs on 32mm and 45mm as it has adjustable wheels.

Thank you very much for the offer Very Happy, i will be sure to take you up on that Cool
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 8:18 pm

dereks wrote:
thanks.

BTW where did you get your BLDC 3 phase motor from?

Here:

RC Timer
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 pm

How far is this interesting project now? Finished? Close to?
Back to top Go down
dereks

dereks

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi.
Sorry I've not been on here for a while but I am now getting back into this prodject after it has been sitting on the shelf for over a year but I now plan to finnish this off.
I think the main problem was I made it too complicated so I am now going to simplify it.
Will kep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Derek's Live Diesel   Derek's Live Diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

Derek's Live Diesel
Page 1 of 1