Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ralphbrades

Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Carl:

Errrrmmm... You seem to using a length of copper pipe in the exhaust system? Hot Copper II Oxide, Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Oxides are chemically speaking a very bad mix Exclamation .

Please use something without Copper in it for the exhaust system.

Better safe than sorry.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 am

clown

Complete nonsense.

.....Or very funny?

lol!
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Errr no.

There is a reason why you will not find copper or brass on the INSIDE of an automotive exhaust system.... This is because Copper II Oxide can very easily be turned into Copper II Sulphate. Then you have the perfect conditions with Nitrogen Oxides and Carbonic Oxides for the production of Cyanogen -which is extremely toxic.

When I was student the entire Chem wing of the Uni was evacuated with the "Lung Up" (i.e. -DO NOT BREATHE until you have exited the building!), alarm because some idiot brought a geranium plant into one of the labs and the smell of Cyanogen is -like geraniums...

So, a length of stainless steel or ally tube -please.

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:25 pm

I really think you're on a great wind up. Laughing Cool

Either that or you risk losing your credibility on this forum. Rolling Eyes

Before going any further have another look at the first part of the last film that I posted and see what my hand is doing with the copper pipe after the engine had been running for 5 mins or so. NO HEAT.

Thanks for the chemistry lesson but I did mess about with 'black powder' bom at school. The low temperatures and amounts of chemicals involved in running a tiny nitro engine are minimal to cause any reaction.

I have never seen or heard of any copper (II) oxide produced in all my years of modelling.

To produce this substance you need a blast furnace or very strong chemical reaction. And then to be harmful it needs to react with other chemicals and/or be heated not luke warmed.

Just for other people reading and not be scared off:

Have a look on the many RC forums about the use and safety of running nitro engines.
And the discussions and experiences of ordinary people operating them and their real life safety concerns.

The only metallic chemical reactions noted with glo plug engines is rust due to residual water in the fuel.

Nitro fuel is harmful and the exhaust can be unpleasant and irritating to some.

Do you really think they would hold such large indoor shows such as the International Salon de Maquettes with scores of large engines running together if there was any risk of geranium Wink poisoning? Evil or Very Mad

A bit of more useful information:

A typical nitro car type engine should run at between 93 and 104°C (200-220°F) and if really leaned for racing perhaps at 115°C (240°F).
The Green Monster runs at about 88°C barely hot enough for a decent cup of tea.
These are cylinder head temperatures measured at the glo plug.

I'll leave you with these pictures of Bob Pope's amazing machine complete with beautifully crafted copper 'boiler' exhaust silencer.
As far as I'm aware there were no evacuations at Diamonhead and no subsequent deaths.....

Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines Bob_po10

....and a close up:

Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines Bop_po10
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Great, Carl; you didn't tell me when you invitied me to St Aubin that you were going to be poisoning me. Razz

Just out of curiosity, where does the sulphur come from? While "real" diesel fuel indeed has trace amount of sulphur in it, I don't think nitromethane does.

Maybe the reason why there is no copper or brass in automotive exhaust systems is because steel does the job and is cheaper? Idea

BTW, if you google Cyanogen, most of the hits you get refer to a hacker who specializes in creating images of Android for phones which originally came with WinMobile.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Great, Carl; you didn't tell me when you invitied me to St Aubin that you were going to be poisoning me. Razz

Ah...you haven't tried my wife's cooking. Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines 256587
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:

Ah...you haven't tried my wife's cooking. Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines 256587

It's safe to assume then she doesn't read this forum?

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 pm

No..you're quite right...I hope.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines   Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines Empty

Back to top Go down

Copper exhaust on RC Nitro engines
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: