Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ROOZLE

Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" Empty
PostSubject: Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""   Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi,My stepson inherited a collection of mostly stationary steam engines when his dad dies suddenly a year ago. We've been sitting on the collection to see if my stepson developed an interest...but he hasn't...so we're selling the whole collection to help pay for his college (He's a sophomore). I've gotten great help from the official Mamod forum for the stationary engines...but I've got one Locomotive steam engine and I'd love some advice.

Here's a link to a photobucket folder with pictures.

https://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Russ_Krochock/library/Ruby?page=1

Now, I know that I won't get as much if I don't show video of it steaming...but I'm just not comfortable trying to steam all the engines as I sell them (mostly fear of screwing them up...and the time investment) We aren't trying to squeeze every dollar out of the collection but don't want to get taken advantage of. Just want a fair price

So,
1. Should I sell it on ebay?
2. What should I start it at?
3. What might I expect to get for it?
4. ANy advice on what to put in the subject line of the ebay sale and text for the description would be helpful.
5. Can people sell items on this forum? Accept offers? The Mamod forum has a selling section...but I'm not sure of the protocol here.

Russ
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""   Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 am

Hey, Russ; welcome aboard. I'm not a live steam expert myself (I have my first one on order), but I do buy and sell quite a bit on eBay.

You'd probably get a higher price on eBay, simply because most of the members here are in Europe, and the cost of postage will likely depress their bid, and, very few model US style, which the Ruby is. You might also try to find if there are any live steamer clubs in your area. I'm thinking seeing it first hand would generate more interest.

The Ruby is at the low end of the spectrum for live steamers, so temper your expectations accordingly. A new one is only around $500. Look at the "sold" listings on eBay to gauge its value - looks like the sell for $300-$400 used.

The title should simply be "Accucraft Ruby Live Steam Locomotive" or something similar. Make sure you spell it correctly - folks won't find it in a search if you misspell it. You'd be surprised how often that happens. Some people deliberately search for commonly misspelled terms to try to get a deal.

I would start it at the minimum price you are willing to accept - I hate auctions with reserves and won't bid on them- and set a buy it now at the amount you'd like to get for it.

Time the auction to end on Saturday or Sunday - more bidders on line those days. Don't use an overly long duration - 7 days is about right. If you go longer, it won't get you more money; most bidders wait until the last hour or two to bid. Seven days gives interested parties plenty of time to notice it and to think about it.

Be candid in your description, including your reluctance to steam it up and why. You might even mention it's for s good cause (I just finished putting two daughters thru college, so I feel your pain). Be sure to provide lots of photos from all directions.

Watch your email closely and respond quickly to questions bidders might have. I hate it when I ask a question and it goes unanswered.

Well that's about it. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""   Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 am

Hello Russ,

I think Bill's advice is pretty comprehensive.

I would only add that from a forum point of view selling is fine on here as long as it is not the regular contribution of members or it becomes too excessive.
Good luck with the sale.

Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
David 1

PostSubject: Re: Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""   Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" EmptySat May 04, 2013 11:25 pm

KleineDicke,

"Watch your email closely and respond quickly to questions bidders might have. I also dislike it when I ask a question and it goes unanswered."

I am of the same opinion and your point is an important part of actually selling anything, irregardless of asking price. . .
Any gently used Rubys or Idas out there with the larger cylinders? (short radiuses and slow speed required). There comes a point when chasing an out of control speeding Hielscher for 3 minutes makes a person question their sanity and it's time for me to change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""   Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby"" Empty

Back to top Go down

Best way to sell an Accucraft "Ruby""
Page 1 of 1