Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Railway Building Signs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

Railway Building Signs Empty
PostSubject: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm close to finishing my long term building project - Domaine d' Etang Station, thanks to roofing materials provided by Mikey.

I would like to adorn it with authentic French mid 20th century Station signs, timetables, advertising etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site where I can copy (legally) images for printing out??
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Brian you can always do what i do. you are only infringeing copyright if you publish. choose a company (Rickard for example), choose a year and google 'rickard 1958 publicite' Right click and load them to word. when you have enough different signs, check the sizes and print off. allow ink to dry, then cover with varnish (or as i do 2 coats of clear nail varnish (its the wifes and its waterproof!) et voila as many signs as you like that will be a bit different!!

mikey

Just to set your mind at ease; ~
If a sign is made for publicity purposes and you are going to use the sign for that purpose (even though a lot smaller)no infringement of copyright. If the sign is used for other purposes (stated case;andy wharhols use of the coca-cola sign) then its infringement.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm

You could try this site Brian.

Allposters

This is one I have used in the past.

You will need to wade through the many categories to find exactly what you want. You are then presented with thumbnails of posters for sale. You can right click on these and save them as good quality (60k or so) JPEG files.

I then insert them as images into a word doc and adjust the sizes to suit and print a whole load out.
You can do as Mikey does or I tend to cut mine out and laminate them in plastic leaving a small sealed border round each one. You do a batch in an A4 sleeve.

I have a sheet of miniature posters all ready if you want a copy of it.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I posted this somewhere else:

http://www.rapid-fire.uk.com/normandy_signs1.pdf

WW2 type stuff, but one or two might be of use
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 am

Fantastic resources there guys - thank you.

I think I'll have to start building a few advertising hoardings just to accomodate all the one's I'd like to use.

I was also after Timetables, Station Name Signs, Trackside warnings etc. Any clues?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 am

same thing. google it,if at first you dont find what you want try another name or variation

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 am

For timetables and signs Brian you can make up your own fairly simply from stuff on the net.

Here's an example timetable from the Baie de la Somme.

Railway Building Signs 450px-10

I have more if you want.

Maybe what I will do is make a seperate reference page with downloadable material not accessible to the public and then no copyright worries.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:10 pm

I've loaded a word document of posters on my paid server.

You can download it here.

station posters

These posters fit my poster frames on the station but you can just click on them and modify the size as any image in a word doc.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Guys

I'm overwhelmed by your contributions and help thanks!

I also found this site very useful www.allposters.com

The only thing I need now is a reference for post war french station nameplates Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 8:50 pm

The allposters site is very good and I have actually bought real full size posters from them so I don't feel guilty in using their thumnails for hobby purposes.

French station nameplates are another thing. Most tend to be dark (French) blue with plain white lettering. This colour scheme although slightly darker stil exists today.

There are many exceptions though.

Take this for example.

Railway Building Signs Bressu10

Laurent or Pierre at Imagimonde may be able to help better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 4:34 am

Just an update on progress, have pulled together signage etc from your recommendations and a number of sources to produce an A$ sheet ...

Railway Building Signs Poster10
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Very nice Brian.

What program/software did you use to create those?
And if using word how did you save it as a JPEG file?

Personally I would make the blue darker for the station signs. But there were a lot of variations in colour.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks Carl

I use Microsoft Powerpoint to import the pics into an A4 page layout, you can resize them and clone them easily within the program. It's the same program I use for drawing track plans.

Save as a JPEG is one of the "Save As" options.

Here's the result on the finished building - but more pics over on my CFHC thread ...

Railway Building Signs Gd_310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Railway Building Signs   Railway Building Signs Empty

Back to top Go down

Railway Building Signs
Page 1 of 1