Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid Empty
PostSubject: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Brian, Carl and others. I had some thoughts and made a card template for Edrig's cab and other mods. Now I am faced with a sheet of 0.6mm brass and can't for the life of me work out how to cut it. I can't find my tinsnips and mini hacksaw blades (Chinese) are hopeless.

Patrick - smoke free
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Well no-one is stupid that's for sure.

I cut all the sheet brass for the tram body by scoring heavily with a scribe and using a junior type hacksaw plus a larger size hacksaw blade holder both using the finest pitch blades possible.
You can usually get 32 teeth per inch blades or the metric equivalent.
Cut with both sides supported like on a workmate with the jaws open slightly and if possible clamp the metal down or cut against blocks to minimise movement.

I tried electric jigsaws with special blades but with brass they just clogged up and tore the metal. There's probably a technique to that.

A guillotine would be the ultimate....Hey... and it's Bastille day next week. Razz
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:29 pm

What thickness is your body ?

(oh dear, I feel I could have worded this slightly differently) lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
A guillotine would be the ultimate....Hey... and it's Bastille day next week. Razz

Another holiday per chance?

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 pm

pjti wrote:
What thickness is your body ?

(oh dear, I feel I could have worded this slightly differently) lol!

Embarassed Thicker than it should be.

Seriously, I used .4mm roof .5mm sides and roof supports and .6mm for the ends and doors.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Piercing saw? Dunno never done it, so I got this item from Messrs Google:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/piercingsaw.html

Or alternatively, if you have a Dremel with a slitting disc or 10, that might work?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:53 pm

As always I have read the advice kindly given - then gone and done it my way. Couldn't find my pad saw either, so I found a nice tough pair of scissors that coped very well. Apart from a slight curling in places but I think snips would do that too. The ALDI mini drill (Dremelish) thing also came in handy for a bit of "adjusting to fit".

Clive I don't think I would have the patience to use anything like that saw, and you can bet everything would be out of square.

Keep that Caradoc cab handy Carl.......................

Patrick -
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Sorry to contribute late, but for straight cuts I use a junior hacksaw.

For curves like these cab side openings I predrill a series of holes and then file out the waste material !
How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid Img_7720
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Although this topic got a few years, there's another way to cut sheet metal. Ever heard of a nibbler ?
Don't got one but thinking about to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid   How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid Empty

Back to top Go down

How does one cut brass sheet - call me stupid
Page 1 of 1