Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My New Railway in France

Go down 
+3
French Chuffed
mikeyh
GWhizz
7 posters
AuthorMessage

My New Railway in France Empty
PostSubject: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Hello Everybody,

My name is Keith George and I live in a hamlet just outside Landeleau in Brittany. I have lived here for just over 5 years, but only just started with my Railway, due to work in the house. I am sure you will all understand!
Although all items are from the UK, my aim is to create a French atmosphere and the line is my idea of a never built branch of the Reseau Breton. I know many may think that it is cheating to base a line on a railway that was never built, but it is justified by my lack of expertise!
There is still a great deal of work to do. Levelling the track is the priority at the moment, then landscaping, planting and adding other features and some figures. The large mound in the middle of what is basically an "L" shaped track, with 2 stations, will be cleared of weeds and turned into a rockery. There will be a canal under the bridge and a tunnel to add. The buildings are a mixture of kits, Tuxcraft and my own poor efforts. The beamed building, engine shed and goods shed are my own attempts. I use 2mm Plasticard and despite all the rain lately, they seem to have stood up well, so far.

I already have to thank Carl Hibbs for a very warm welcome and some much needed help with my JD Turner "Glynn" locomotive, which I managed to mess up attempting a battery change.
My other locomotive is a Cheddar Samson live steam. Both are remote control, which is essential, as the line has several gradients, which were unavoidable due to the nature of the ground here and other considerations.

I look forward to many happy years on the forum and hope over a period of time to get to know as many other members as possible.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:00 pm

We look forward to meeting you too Keith!

A very warm welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 pm

welcome Keith. the Reseau Breton was a fantastic network with plenty of scope for modellers. wish you luck with it. Nice to have another francophile on here

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Keith, may I add my welcome to the others on the Forum. I am in South Brittany close to Redon, 160 k from you, but if you are ever passing this way give me a PM and we could meet for a chat. My efforts are documented as the ' Chemin de fer St Marcellin'.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Hello and welcome.

Can't wait to see some pic of your new railway.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/

PostSubject: Thank you for the welcome   My New Railway in France EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Thank you everyone for a warm welcome, I hope to get to know you all. If I can work out a way of uploading some pictures, I will gladly do so. Perhaps someone could tell me how?
I don't know if anyone has ever come across my old neighbour David Gover? He moved to the South of France about 3 years ago.
David mainly modelled in N guage, but his knowledge of French railways is brilliant. He has the advantage of speaking fluent French and is a member of several French Railway clubs.
He once drew me a plan of a "typical" Reseau Breton station, which he had obviously taken a great deal of trouble over. I knew it would be highly accurate, but regret that my poor skills
and the fact that my wife, not unreasonably objected to yet more track being purchased, has meant that any future visitors will have to use their imaginations a little! We still keep in contact and I understand he is considering a move back to Brittany. If anyone requires details of the French railway system, in any respect, I could always put you in contact with David. I suspect that there are already members on the site who have such knowledge, but if ever you have a question, it might help someone. Off to town in the morning to buy some roofing felt, I use it to make roads. Probably concrete would be better, long term, but I feel it looks good and as the layout evolves is easier to move if needed.
Best Wishes,
Keith
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 am

I will posting a guide to uploading pictures using www.servimg.com later today.
Once it's finished field trials in Deux Sevres Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 7:49 am

A warm welcome to the forum Keith.

Though I live in the UK, I am very much a francophile or probably even a basquophile. Nevertheless I have spent so much time on building earthworks for my UK garden railway that I dont want to leave it and start all over. My current compromise is to spend as much time visiting France (and Northern Spain) as possible.

My railway is Spanish themed but the forum members are so sympathetic this hardly matters
and there is little shortage of humour.

Here 's wishing you a serious welcome to the group.

David
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 am

Hello and welcome to the forum Graham

*checks name at top of thread*

.....Err, hello and welcome to the forum Keith Cool

Beat you to it there Mikey! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Railway in France   My New Railway in France Empty

Back to top Go down

My New Railway in France
Page 1 of 1