Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear lights on railcars

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Rear lights on railcars Empty
PostSubject: Rear lights on railcars   Rear lights on railcars EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:43 pm

I have just rewired (again) my Billard A80. I have decided that for simplicity, all the lights will work off the same output from the decoder, so the rear headlight is on as well as the front one and the inside lights, regardless of which direction it is going in. (Looks nicer in the dark.) Of course it is possible to have all three operating separately, but this would only be worth it if there was a separate rear light (red?). Single ended cars (e.g the early De Dions) did have a rear light (note to Mikey - even M Tartary's lashups had them) I have looked at lots of photos of Billards and have yet to spot a rear light. They all seem to have either one or two headlights at each end. So the question is: did French local railways' Billard (or other bi-directional) railcars display a rear red light? And if so, where was it?

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Rear lights on railcars   Rear lights on railcars EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 10:05 pm

Billard 80s did have a rear red light Phil.
Generally this was just a single very small inset lamp above the central window on the motored and non motored end.
I have also seen 2 on the motored end , 1 either side of the radiator grill below the windows, again very small and inset.

There were many varariations and mods though.

I will try and find some pictures.
Try this link to one of Maarten Meuwes pics of a Vivarais machine.
Billard 80

However later French railcar practice was to have red disc(s) which slotted over headlight(s).
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rear lights on railcars   Rear lights on railcars EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks Carl: that looks doable. I really had not spotted that tiny light before , but once pointed out it is obvious! I've got some red bulbs in stock..but maybe I'll leave to later in the year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear lights on railcars   Rear lights on railcars Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear lights on railcars
Page 1 of 1