Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solar powered lights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

Solar powered lights Empty
PostSubject: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 4:35 pm

I have 6 station lamps rated at 12v that I run off a 9v battery. I would like to solar power these and have them automatically switch on at dusk.

Can anyone tell me the best way to achieve this, for example modify a garden light in some way or obtain a circuit diagram and build from scratch.

This ought to be an off the shelf product for garden railways ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 pm

You can quite easily modify the LED output of a cheap single solar powered lamp but the solar panel is very small and usually just trickle charges a small 1.2v cell or 2.

There are separate installation kits like this one from: Conrad

This gives a bigger solar panel plus night/day function and a switchable movement detector so you could have them coming on only when a train (or cat) passes.... Idea

I'm sure Maplin do similar.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:24 am

This is what I plan to wire up to an old car battery or a Sealed Lead Acid Battery(SLA)out in
the garden hooked up to a string of LED Christmas lights in my buildings when I build them.
Reckon it should keep the lights going 24/7 that way so no need for fancy on/off switches etc.
Still on the wish list though along with a ton of other stuff.

Charger:- http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=MB3501&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1004#12

SLA battery:- http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=SB2485&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=997#12
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

This is what I am using. Some simple diagrams, rules and equations for sparkless types like me.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-9V-250MA-SOLAR-PANEL.htm
Back to top Go down
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Idea I don't think I am the first to say this, but you can add a light sensor to the circuit. I personally don't know how to wire that in, but I know that the sensor detects X amount of light, and when it goes below a certain point, it triggers a switch which turns on the light. Got it, because I confused my self just now.

to truly see what I am talking about, go to the store, and buy a cheap solar light, then take it apart. After looking at something long enough, someone usually figures it out.

Tell us what you find when done!
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:57 am

Having thought about this a bit more (won't do that thinking stuff much any more, I got one hell of a headache from doing it Very Happy) I have found a method to do the on/off thing.
It involves an LDR (Light Dependent Resistor).
Here is a circuit using a relay as the on/off switch but you could use a transistor to do the same thing.
http://electroschematics.com/5899/diy-ldr-switch-circuits

All I have to now is make some cheap easy buildings to put the lighting in but that is another story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar powered lights   Solar powered lights Empty

Back to top Go down

Solar powered lights
Page 1 of 1