Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LGB signals and lights?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

LGB signals and lights? Empty
PostSubject: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 1:27 pm

I have almost reached the stage of fitting some signals to the Vendee and Pacific Railway and need a little advice.
The signal, LGB US style, are marked as having an operating voltage of 16 or 18 volts, I intend to operate them via a switch on the pointwork to indicate the route selected.
It would be very convenient if I could pick up power from the Massoth DCC track current which is adjustable, I hope, to 18 volts.
The set of station lights are also 18volts and I hope to power them in the same way.
Has anyone else on the forum had any experience of mucking about with LGB signals?
I would ask on GSM but still seem to be persona non grata over there, shouldn't have asked awkward question about finances I suppose.

cheers
Geoff
US trains in France
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi Geoff

I'm no expert, but have a couple of observations.

1. I think your Massoth Dimax puts 24 volt ac to the track? unlike my LGB which puts 18v
2. When I was up you were running a couple of loco's and with all your carriage lighting you were already getting close to your 12amp limit from the Dimax ( My LGB is a paltry 5amp).

Therefore IMHO

1. I wouldn't downgrade from 24volts, it must offer benefits on your big layout.
2. Why not run a seperate 18 volt supply for your signal lighting, but run the switch decoders that will operate them from your DCC supply so you can operate them via the Navigator (very little momentary current draw)?. I've done something similar running a 12 volt "ring main" for my building lights and signals.

I'm sure others and myself will be happy to advise when wer'e up to see you in 10 days time!
#
Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Thankms for the input.
I will have to stick to 24 volts as my Massoth hardware is not capable of being changed to 18 volts.
I think I amy go with the decoder option although I did want a switch on the points to change the signals.
It all seems a bit too hard after a big dinner and two bottles of rose between us so Might have another think tommorrow

cheers
Geoff Shocked
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Geoff

If you're determined to take track power to the signals, another option is to fit all the sigmals with replacement 24 volt bubs. Jeremy sells them. Massoth I think. He'd be the man to ask next weekend.

I think you can also add a supplementary switch to all LGB EPL switch drives and use that to switch lights / signals etc., whichever voltage or power source you go for. I've only got a couple of manual signals powered from a 12 volt supply, so can't advise on that one

I do use LGB switch decoders and EPL drives on all my points and they work brilliantly with the Navigator, you can switch them individually or set up multiple point routes! They are easy to program and it helps with a layout like yours if you number them on a track plan.

a bientot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for the info, I have discoved the secret connector for supplementary switches on the end of the EPL unit. I think I will run a seperate supply for signalling and lights.
I have finished installing the EPL and decoders in readyness for next weeks jamboree.
Imade another discovery, it seems that gardens are not just for trains! Last night I dug up our massive potato crop and we are now self sufficient in spuds.
The menu for the open day will now include such delicacies as - Potatoburgers, potato pies, baked potato, potato sausauge, potato sheftalia, potato salad with some loverly potato punch to wash it down.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 am

I think it's the sale at the moment, we do need a bargain, we do need a reduction pirat
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:30 am

I had a supplementary switch and ground signal set up for a trial but found it overloaded the LGB point motor, so was not very satisfactory, it can just about cope with one supplementary switch.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:53 pm

GeoffW wrote:

I have finished installing the EPL and decoders in readyness for next weeks jamboree.
cheers

In that case Geoff I'll email a track schematic so you can number the points so you can print out a master for all to see!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LGB signals and lights?   LGB signals and lights? Empty

Back to top Go down

LGB signals and lights?
Page 1 of 1