Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Anyone done this before? I have a mind to use some short lengths of chain - easy enough to come by, it just means that no one in the house will be able to put a plug in the sink or bath...

However, what about the 'hooks'? What could I use for that?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 pm

A variety of sizes of cup hooks are available, how about them?

cheers
GW
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Have you tried making your own?

It's a bit tedious to start with but it gets easier with batch production.

Here's some I made a while back for a locomotive.

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Hooks_10

2mm brass rod for the hooks and 1.2 mm brass wire for the chain.

You can make chain very cheaply and easily from solid core copper wire (bared electrical cable) bent round a former, a rod, pencil or small flat strip for the shape like a spring and then cut the links off with cutters.

If you would like I could make you set as in the pic and and you copy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Ive made lots of bits of chain with stripped down flat twin and earth cores wrapped round a couple of 1/8" drills in a vice. Tightly wrap the bare wires round the drills, cut each link out and solder up. Simple and very theraputic.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for ideas chaps. Now a related question.Where would you mount these hooks, say on a wagon or coach? Would it be above the single buffer, below it or to the side? Carl, I'm intrigued by the length of the hook you've pictured there. Is there some cunning reasoning behind that? In my fevered imagination I envisaged that you would fit some kind of spring/cotter-pin affair so that the coupling is 'sprung'?

I wouldn't mind an example for to copy if you were able?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 11:39 am

Quite correct Clive. I often drill through the shaft for a split pin and spring behind the buffer beam or I thread the rod to take a nut.

I will make you a set this week..

The hooks are usually mounted below the centre buffer but sometimes to one side.
I'll try and find some pics later.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:42 pm

I've made this pair for you and they'll be in tomorrow's post from here.

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Hook110

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Hook210

The rod was slightly larger than 2mm so I put a 2mm thread on the end with a nut supplied of course!

The top link connecting to the loop on the hook is unsoldered so you can dismantle it if you wish.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Cheers Carl, that's very good of you.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks again to Carl for his time and effort, the results of which dropped through my letterbox today. This evening, I looked at how I might actually fit them:

In the end, the only thing I felt I could do was to unscrew the LGB coupling loop from its mounting post, then drill a small hole in the end of that mounting post. The thread on the hook bit quite nicely onto the plastic allowing me to effectively screw the post in. I put one hook on one end each of two goods vans, to see how they'd look coupled:

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Link_coupling_close_up

I'll try it outside tomorrow (rigorous and extensive testing needed I feel), and if successful and pleasing to my eye I shall then set about sorting some sort of jig to make some of my own....

Looks promising though, thanks again Carl
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 6:13 am

they look great. far better than the regular couplings!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 10:12 am

carl hibbs wrote:
Have you tried making your own?

It's a bit tedious to start with but it gets easier with batch production.

2mm brass rod for the hooks

Hmmm, yes.... sounds easy doesn't it? Having unearthed a modest amount of 2mm brass rod, I tried to bend it into the shape of the hooks you made. I now have something that even Captain Hook would be a bit self-conscious of! So plainly there is more to it than that. I did try screwing some screws into a wood block and bending the rod around them. Not so easy is it? I shall have to have another go, but first I need to go and get some more brass rod!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Blimy...those close up photos show my crappy soldering.
A trip to Monsieur lunettes I think soon.

Clive. Yes you do need some sort of jig or repetitive arrangement. For just one set as above I use round nose pliers with a mark exactly on the pliers where to bend (i.e. diameter of hook).
For several I use a system of 2 vertical rods in a vice.

You need to heat up the brass. If it's bent cold it may well break.

If you get stuck I could be persauded to make a small batch for you in exchange for erm....let me think err...... 'Chef de la gare' or a Corsican/Marseille looking seated train driver perhaps. Laughing
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 6:04 pm

I've spent all afternoon making a right pig's arris of just one!

OK, so what does a Corsican/Marseillais seated train driver look like??? Got any reference pics?

What's the current exchange rate between figures and couplings then?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 6:28 pm

For what it's worth, I can report they look better outside on the track. Did a few laps of the track with these two wagons in tow, and no involuntary 'fly-shunting' occurred!

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Link_couplings_2
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 pm

That's a good pic Clive. I can see what you're looking for and can make a few mods.
Funny how the same thing looks and works differently on other peoples gear.

The soldered loop on the hook shaft needs to be bigger/lower to allow the chain to loop better or an extra link added.

Also the unhooked chain needs to be kept up out of the way somehow to avoid dragging,dangling and fouling.

With mine I have saftey chains and hooks each side and when not use the main coupling chain just hooks on to one of these as on the 'Monster'.
Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Ldpfro10

Yep...I think we can do a deal.

Do you have any modification requests?

Let me make another trial set.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Could the 'unused' chain be hung up on the hook that it's already hanging from? ie both ends of the chain are hanging from the same hook, if you see what I mean?

The only other thing I would mention is that because of the way I have elected to fix the hook to the wagon, the nut is not necessary. It would however be useful to have the hook threaded, as this has been useful in securing the hook in the plastic mounting post.

Do you have any particular preference for figure? If you want a seated figure, could you let me know the rough height off the deck for the seat, also if there are any 'loading gauge' issues like chair arms, foot rails etc . Again, some pics of the seat, indeed the whole area would be very useful.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 9:14 pm

No, for a Corscan train driver the requirements are,

Fat belly, wearing shorts, oily skin, unshaven, half asleep, hands waving in the air with a gun in one hand a bottle of pastis in the other.

Apologies to any Corsicans reading this - Gianfranco, Lucien, Nuncio Grisoni and my beloved Mother-in-law now in Sartene. jocolor

Yes, the chain could be hooked up on it's own hook itself Clive.....Why didn't I think of that...doh!

I'll see what time I get over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 9:29 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
No, for a Corscan train driver the requirements are,
Fat belly, wearing shorts, oily skin, unshaven, half asleep, hands waving in the air with a gun in one hand a bottle of pastis in the other.
You've met my wife's mother then?

OK, that is my mission: 1 (one) Corsican train driver (seated), complete with 'attitude'... Still could use some measurements/pics etc re the seat (no pressure!)
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 am

Would another option for fitting such chains be to use two (I know, twice the labour) as side chains, rather than below the centre buffer (which would itself be the coupling in full size practice)? They could then be prototypically mounted on the buffer beam. Might restrict you a bit on curves, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Bruce how you doing?

Yes I thought that I might do that, the problem as you rightly say is that there will probably be an issue with tight-ish curves. You may recall that my line has some places where R2 curves have been used for reasons of space. I may or may not get away with it on those, but also if I ever attend any open days where R1s are used, I could be struggling mightily!

As mentioned earlier, it might be possible to resolve that issue to some extent by making the coupling hook sprung, so that it is able to extend and retract as necessary.

I am still thinking though in terms of a single hook, screwed into the existing mounting post for the original LGB coupling.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Bruce and welcome,
I use 2 couplings and chains on some vehicles and mostly the radius curve is not normally an issue if the chains are long enough.
I have 1.2 metre radius curves.

It can be a bit fiddly though trying couple up as the side chain links and hooks are smaller than the centre one. I did make a special tool for the purpose.

It gets a bit dodgy too where live steam is involved.
Saftey valve blowing and your in a hurry to couple up and an trying not get scalded!

It is a possible solution though and in practice I have coupled up using just one side chain instead of 2 and It works ok.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Well it certainly beats the cuphooks and keyrings I'm using!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:44 pm

...or paper clips.

But at least you can see them without bifocals. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Working on the chain gang.........
cyclops

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Chaing10
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Someone's very busy! Errm.... this Corsican train driver - I still need to know how high the seat is that he (she??) is sitting in! Is it for that green diesel at the top of the forum page?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings   Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed - Replacing LGB hook/loops with more realistic couplings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next