Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Decauville in a field

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Decauville in a field Empty
PostSubject: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Amazing what you find on a country stroll: near the house of some friends, we wandered round a barn and found this:

Decauville in a field IMG00011-20091018-1525

and this:

Decauville in a field IMG00012-20091018-1527

and inside the open barn was this:

Decauville in a field IMG00014-20091018-1528

and even a four wheel truck thingy - been there so long that the tree has grown through it:

Decauville in a field IMG00013-20091018-1527

Our friends don't know the farmer well even though they have had their holiday home in the same village for 20 years. What is it doing in a field? Looks like WW1 vintage - could have been used for harvesting? We haven't enough land to rescue it, but I would be happy to make inquiries next year. Seems a shame to let it rust to nothing...

Phil
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:06 pm

What a find Phil!! Mind you I was a bit disappointed after reading your title; I was expecting to see a freshly painted decauville 030 with a tree growing up through it!! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:20 pm

mikeyh wrote:
What a find Phil!! Mind you I was a bit disappointed after reading your title; I was expecting to see a freshly painted decauville 030 with a tree growing up through it!! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

mikey

One day, Mikey, one day...always been my dream to find an NG coach converted to a shed...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Seriously Phil if you don't want it and noone else does of course....
I could possibly give a new home and future in Normandy.

My wife will be soooo pleased ( cyclops ). Could be the start of modelling a new scale for me.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Carl:

I'll get our friends down there to see if they can locate the landowner and sound him out...

Phil
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:39 pm

they look to be very light rails. Love to know their history~!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks Phil. Did you check the gauge?

It looks like 60cm but there were 50cm and 40cm lines and equipment.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:07 pm

No tape measure with me but pretty sure it's 60cm. The sections were meant to be light and portable - Decauville designed them for agricultural use (and used them on his family's farm I think). In WW1, track sections could be carried by 4 men and laid at the end to move the railhead forward as the Army advanced..when it did...
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 pm

what sort of traction power Phil?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:40 am

Mikey: you've sent me back to look at "The 60 cm Military Railways of France" by Christian Cenac.

Quote: "The track was made with steel rails of 9.5kg per metre rivetted on steel inverse-U- shaped ties..The ties were 1094 mm long 140 mm wide and 29 mm high.. Every element of track could be easily transportable. Evey length was 5 m and comprised 8 ties. These track sections wighed 167 kg..carried by four men it was a load of 42 kg for each one...This track allowed a 3.5 tonne live weight per axle, which permitted locomotives of 14 tonnes with eight wheels or 10.5 tonnes with six wheels..."

I think the bits I found are shorter, but Decauville also produced similar track for farm and quarry use. Dr Cenac's book has track drawings that look not dissimilar to an LGB catalogue - including points and curves of varying radius!

Most 60 cm locos were suitable for use (slowly) on portable track: Decauville, Pechot, German DFB, Kerr Stuart Joffre, Hunslet, Baldwin, Alco-Cooke and petrol locos including Crochat, Simplex, Baldwin, Schneider.

Heavy loads - including whole gun barrels - were suspended across two or more four or six-wheel trucks.

A lot of ex Army portable track and locos were used on farm railways - mostly sugar beet lines - after WW1. It was used in the early days by the Chemin de Fer Froissy-Cappy-Dompierre - the finest preserved 60 cm operation - but has been replaced by heavier "proper" track on wooden sleepers - for safety reasons and because it runs far heavier and longer trains than the portable track was designed for. Derailments were common on portable track - but not really acceptable on a tourist line!

Near the front, horses and mules (and squaddies) were used to move individual wagons.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:51 am

Oh and happy birthday --- 62 is not problem - I spent a year being 62 ---
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 12:04 pm

thanks for that Phil. seriously interesting. i love all these facts and figures! I was aware of all the 're-use' after WW1 but it makes me wonder how much other stuff is yet to be discovered!!

Mikey (62 and counting)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decauville in a field   Decauville in a field Empty

Back to top Go down

Decauville in a field
Page 1 of 1