Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)

Go down 
+2
mikeyh
pjti
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pjti

The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Nice video, thanks Amedeu.
Back to top Go down
Olot

Olot

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Barcelone-Perpigang est encore en construction.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Another snippet of info The Objective for 2020

I don't know how things will pan out, apparently (yesterday) the PM said that they were going to cut Govt spending next year. In addition they are cutting public sector salaries by 5% and upwards depending on how much you earn. Lots of strikes coming up - I don't suppose the Pajares tunnel will get finished for a while. Talking of which it will only operate passenger trains, freight will still use the old broad gauge line route.

edit for atrocious spelling
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptySat May 15, 2010 10:20 am

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Latest news on Pajares base tunnel is that the official completion date is end of 2012 but likely to be 2013 in reality.

This means Leon to Oviedo passenger trains will still go over the mountains during 2011 and 2012 and even beyond this date Cercanias might still take this classic route.

A CGT Tour of N Spain is still an option traversing the above plus 1000 miles of narrow gauge which must be the largest extant narrow gauge network in the world.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd be up for something like that!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:43 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Latest news on Pajares base tunnel is that the official completion date is end of 2012 but likely to be 2013 in reality.

This means Leon to Oviedo passenger trains will still go over the mountains during 2011 and 2012 and even beyond this date Cercanias might still take this classic route.

A CGT Tour of N Spain is still an option traversing the above plus 1000 miles of narrow gauge which must be the largest extant narrow gauge network in the world.

mikeyh wrote:
I'd be up for something like that!!

mikey

Me too depending on time of year, costs etc. But I would certainly like to do that.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm , lovely place N Spain. Bear in mind that things are chaotic mid July to end of August because the whole of Spain and his wife and kids is on . Asturias is the "new place to be". Late May / early June and most of September it is generally good weather and quieter too. Better make it 2012 if you wanna run trains in my garden, I might JUST have something finished by then.

Seriuosly though if anyone is wanting to do this I would like to come along recession permitting, so keep me in the loop please.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 9:44 pm

As an aside and back on thread : earlier this month the King of Spain opened the first half of the new AVE route from Madrid to Alicante, work has been completed as far as Albecete which is half way. When the line is finished it will take an expected 1hour 45 minutes to travel over 400k,
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 pm

FYI

http://www.ptg.co.uk/tours/FEVE2011.pdf

I guess DIY prices would be about 40% of those quoted in the above package. It could be argued that it is more interesting riding on the service trains than a special although the special does get to places that cannot be normally accessed.

I reckon £70 would cover one days hotel, food and rail travel and in 5 days one could travel Santander, Bilbao, Leon, Pajares, Oviedo, Santander. Total about £350.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm cheaper than going to Dortmund, the itinerary looks interesting. Don't forget to do the mining museum and railway museum in Gijon, there is also one of those cradle bridges outside Bilbao and another mining museum, and of course the Basque railway museum at aspetsia. ?? Lots to do and so little time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)   The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Trains in Spain run very fast on the Plains ( in theory)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2