Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A New Bridge for the SCGR

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

A New Bridge for the SCGR Empty
PostSubject: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 pm

It's been a considerable while, it seems, since I have been able to do anything of any substance on my line, due to having to renovate a house suitable for my daughter and her fiance to inhabit. Well that is done and finished now, they have been in there for a little over 2 weeks. Amazingly it is still standing.

Anyway, this weekend I have been able at last to turn my attention to a very urgent matter - no trains have run this year, owing to some wind-damage sustained to the bridge that spans the pond.

It is the original bridge, first built (from trellis-work) and installed in 2001 - before any track was even purchased! However, being of wood construction, with little or no preservative applied, it was only a matter of time before the ravages of the British weather would end its life - and so it finally proved, in April this year, a particularly strong wind was enough to cause a partial collapse.

A sad sight indeed:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge1

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge2

By a happy coincidence, last weekend I was dismantling my daughter's old bed frame - comprising some sturdy wooden sides and some slats on which the mattress lay. It occurred to me as I took it apart, that these wooden sides would be potentially useful as the basis for a new bridge. Well this weekend, I was finally able to make use of it. Firstly, though, I needed to remove the last remnants of the old structure:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge3

Fortunately, the wooden framework was long enough to span the pond completely!

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge4

Most of the slats were in good shape too:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge5

This time I wanted to preserve the wood as best I could before putting it to use, so I dug out my old 'creosote substitute' recipe and gave everything a liberal coating - including myself it seems tongue

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge6

The 'track beds' were made the long wooden pieces salvaged from the old bridge - although green and dirty, they seemed fairly sound so I gave them a new lease of life as the platform on which the sleepers would rest:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge7

Once assembled, and with a final coat of creosote substitute for good measure, I placed the resulting structure back over the pond:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge8

Finally (for now) I was able to reconnect the trackwork:

A New Bridge for the SCGR Bridge9

Obviously this is just the basic sub-structure - I am still mulling over the possibilities as to how to make it look - indeed, the recently resurrected thread on railway suspension bridges has had me thinking. But as the last photo shows all too clearly, there is much work to be done before a train will be run this year - the lineside vegetation has had a 9-month head start on me so it could be a while.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:58 am

I see you have been taking a leaf out of Mikey’s book and re-cycling construction materials. A suspension bridge could be a nice feature as a fair bit of it will show above the track level, ideal for your position.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 am

Nice work Clive! Does the track then pass over the new bit you improved last year (the new rockface)?

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

The track work passes adjacent to the new rockface. The last-but-one picture sort of shows that - the rock face is in the foreground, left side of the picture. I am thinking of brushing on some liquid compost or similar to remove the obvious cement look, and to further drop some heavy hints to Mother Nature as to how I think it should look!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:20 pm

"No trains run this year".....I thought it had been a bit quiet on the S&CGR.

The time really has passed quickly and only a scary 6 months now until Christmas.

Great construction work Clive and a sensible way to do things, building a new substructure so that trains can potentially run whilst you decide and get inspiration for the next stage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Nicely salvaged.

Just douse them in wood preservative - creosote or whatever the bluddy health-an-safety man allows us to use these days. Should last another 10 years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:30 pm

clive_t wrote:
The track work passes adjacent to the new rockface. The last-but-one picture sort of shows that - the rock face is in the foreground, left side of the picture. I am thinking of brushing on some liquid compost or similar to remove the obvious cement look, and to further drop some heavy hints to Mother Nature as to how I think it should look!
Bricks and any other non-living surface will always look better if you coat them in a cement-peat-water mix. Failing that, just daub lots of fresh yoghurt on them, being alive it encourages bacteria, moss and other stuff so it wethers in well.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:39 am

For information, I would share with you my secret recipe for 'creosote substitute' - It's actually a 60:40 mix of bitumen paint (for waterproofing walls, flat roofs etc) and white spirit. The white spirit thins the bitumen and allows better absorption into the wood.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Great recycling project. Sorta gives the term "roadbed" a whole new meaning, doesn't it? It also ensures your daughter won't be moving back in with you.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 3:01 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
It also ensures your daughter won't be moving back in with you.

We're taking no chances, we've changed all the locks too. Cool
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:10 am

clive_t wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:
It also ensures your daughter won't be moving back in with you.

We're taking no chances, we've changed all the locks too. Cool
It couldn't hurt. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Bridge for the SCGR   A New Bridge for the SCGR Empty

Back to top Go down

A New Bridge for the SCGR
Page 1 of 1