Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Railbus under construction

Go down 
+3
Carl Hibbs
mikeyh
philkelly
7 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Railbus under construction Empty
PostSubject: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 4:23 pm

I like these:

Railbus under construction Saurers

(pic from WJK Davies' The Light Railway Railcar in Western Europe, which is a mine of information - and has protoptype dimension to help).

I am not up to building chassis, so I used a Bachmann railtruck (again - the same as the one I put under my De Dion.) I like the look of the De Dion JA, but De Dion bonneted railbuses did not seem to have a front four wheel truck (not actually a bogey, just a device to help roadholding and the ride.) De Dions with a front four-wheel truck were tne KA series and onwards, and all the pics of those I've seen had a full front body. So the prototype is the Saurer.

Having had trouble with the first railtruck chassis, I went looking for help and found this:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips8/bachmann_railtruck_tips.html

which has everything you need to trouble shoot. The Railtruck comes with a fairly massive circuit board (bigger than most decoders) which seems to do nothing but control the LED lights. It also comes with a superficially helpful wiring diagram for how to add a decoder in to the circuit board, which I followed very carefully and which didn't work. I wasn't going to have LED lights anyway, so out came the circuit board and in came a decoder (Massoth XL) directly wired.

The chassis then looks like this:

Railbus under construction Railtruckchipped

The body was helped (ok, inspired) by finding this on eBay:

Railbus under construction GRSpack

I made the cab font out of plastic card and the sides from the kit:

Railbus under construction Carriagesides

The first fit of the cab front on the chassis looked too high in comparison with the bonnet (the original, but shifted forwards a bit):

Railbus under construction Cabfirsttry

so I cut it down a bit, and took the tumble-homes off the sides to match, so the body looked like this:

Railbus under construction Body

and on first fit, it looked quite good - I also hacksawed off two metal bumps from the chassis on either side of the bonnet and the front of the chassis so that it ends just above the front wheels - see the prototype. Given that the two originals pictured above had different body styles, I'm happy that mine is believable. Railcars got bodied by local bus body-builders, so anything goes. Most JAs I've seen pics of had very square bodies.

Railbus under construction Bodyfirstfit

So the roof is now 12.5 cm above the rail, which is good as the original was 2.8m above the rail, so I'm on course for 1:22.5.

There is a bit still to do - lights, interior, painting, maybe false outside frames for the trucks - and I have no idea what the backs of these looked like, so I'll have to make that up. Probably a rear door opening on to the track.

Keeps me busy when I'm 500 miles from my railway!

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 4:55 pm

I like that Phil. A lot. Keep 'em coming.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 5:25 pm

These are the sort of projects that warm the heart and inspire.

Just when I thought it was too cold even inside to do anything.

Looks pretty good so far. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Nice! Looking forward to your progress on this project!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 9:14 am

Looks good Phil, I too am looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 am

Quote :
and I have no idea what the backs of these looked like, so I'll have to make that up. Probably a rear door opening on to the track.

I found these pictures of a Saurer with closed backside, used in Belgium (see: Trekkings.be /Tramlijn L558 Marbehan - Florenville - Sainte-Cécile)

Railbus under construction 7saurer3

Railbus under construction 7bustramsaintececile2

On the Passion Metrique forum there is a treath about Gecomodel (click here: "Coup d'oeil dans le "retro" (2): GECOMODEL")

Because it's French I can't understand most off it, but there are several pictures of the Saurer railbus by Gecomodel (in H0 and G scale) but all those pictures show an open balcony, while your reference picture showed a closed backside. Perhaps the backsides were modified later?

Railbus under construction !C!EbVcwBWk~$(KGrHqV,!isEzNeENGigBNBo!Ptqc!~~_12

Meanwhile, I'm VERY curious about the status of your project!!! bounce

Paul
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 10:58 am

Just posted the above message and I stumbled on much more pictures and even a drawing of the Belgium used Saurer railbus.

This time a French language site: Autorails sur base de chassis Saurer de la SNCV.
This could mean these busses were build on a Saurer chassis, but were not the "original" Saurer autorail? On the other hand, they come close to the one on your picture...

Railbus under construction Saurer001redimensionnerzc8

Railbus under construction Ar1oj1

More pictures on the site.

Also find on Passion Metrique this drawing of the Gecomodel building instruction (PDF) and this very nice picture: Saurer railbus unloading

Last edited by Paulus on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : textual correction)
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Paulus:

Thanks for your interest in my project and for your pics and suggestions - some progress has been made.. but I am not yet finished. My sole source of written reference is The Light Railway Railcar in Western Europe, by WJK Davies - probably my favourite book! Davies says that these were all genuine Saurers - Saurer of Lyon took a lorry (Type3AD) and put on rail wheels to create Type 3AD VF. The first ones had four wheels, but the ride and tracking in curves was so bad that they replaced the front wheel with four small wheels - not a true bogie, improving ride but not the ability to take curves. Davies has drawings of open back versions "as supplied to various French light railways" so the Gecomodel version is correct, and pictures of the VfD versions (above) (and the Belgian SNCV versions) with closed bodies. If I could have got hold of a Gecomodel G scale version, I would have killed for it, but these went out of production - sadly - many years ago. Hence the use of the Bachmann Railtruck chassis and the coach kit as bodywork.

So, as said - first remove all electrics and wire in chip:

Railbus under construction Saurerchip

The blue and brown wires are for the interior and rear lights which are on the body. All the lights are wired into the "front light" terminals of the chip - this is a unidirectional vehicle!

False floor to conceal chip and install seats - the cheap Chinese garden benches which are constantly on ebay:

Railbus under construction Saurerseats

The driver is the original railtruck driver painted with matt acrylic as "bleu de travail".

So this is how it looks now:

Railbus under construction SaurerVers2-4

And at the rear, one body section from the coach kit plus an extra window section is the right width, and not too far off the "closed back" SNCV version in your pic, and Davies has a pic of an original four wheeler with very square body.

Railbus under construction Saurerback-5

The roof is not yet fixed in place: the lights need more work (lenses!). Lights are from Regner - a Carl tip - bulbs are from a supply of 12v grain of wheat bulbs I bought years ago. The horn is from a model boat supplier. It needs another coat of paint - acrylic glosss (which I buy from Intermarche and which I was rather pleased to see is almost exactly the same shade as the original Railtrack bonnet). I have some door and grab handles (eBay again) which I will fit.

Well, it could have been...

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 4:31 pm

That's coming on well Phil.

Look forward to seeing it on the railway next summer!

Seasons greetings
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Some nice progress Phil. It's becoming a very charming railbus.
Are you considering a baggage rack on top? Clever use of those cheap seats!!!
I find it a very interesting build so keep us up to date about the handles and detailing, paintwork and all other progress!! bounce
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:04 pm

I've just noticed that the last entry from me was in December, but it's finished at last - handles (eBay), glazed, roof fixed, horn (model boat supplier). The front three-quarter view is the better colour guide - the side view is done with flash. Available for weddings, summer visits, etc!

Railbus under construction Sauerfrontfinished

Railbus under construction Saurerside

I think a roof rack might be a bit fragile unless it was brass - and I'm not really up to that; the prototypes seemed to manage without. Lettering - a summer job for quite a bit of my rolling stock...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:48 pm

A delightful model that could have a summer visit here..... Laughing
Who did you get the handles from on e bay? Were they a supplier or private?
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Summer - oh yes. On our way south. Or may be even Easter as we flee to a republic for three weeks to avoid a certain UK event. The handles were - like the carriage sides - a serendipitous spot of a private sale. But I think that they are around - could be Brandbright? I'll have a look after dinner.....
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Carl: the handles are Brandbright - have a look at their coach kits on www.brandbright.co.uk. There's no mention of them being available separately from the kits, but I suppose it's worth asking.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 am

I have some of these handles in my bits box from a previous Brandbright kit. If you tell me how many you want I will post them to you.

I am assuming these handles are the ones with a complete loop, as I cannot be 100% from the photos.

David
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:51 am

philkelly wrote:
Summer - oh yes. On our way south. Or may be even Easter as we flee to a republic for three weeks to avoid a certain UK event. The handles were - like the carriage sides - a serendipitous spot of a private sale. But I think that they are around - could be Brandbright? I'll have a look after dinner.....

Summer's sunny already here Phil - Seen our first Swallows, heard Cuckoos, echelons of storks have been flying North for a month.

We're just waiting for the ultimate summer visitor - "the Kelly" and its' new railcar! and it will be complete.

Nice model and DCC, I like it!

Last edited by GWhizz on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 am

Nice work Phil! A beautiful railbus!
It must be fun to see it bugging around on your Chemins de Fer de la Vienne!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Railbus under construction   Railbus under construction Empty

Back to top Go down

Railbus under construction
Page 1 of 1