Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brian and the Moles

Go down 
+3
Bearcastle
KleineDicke
GWhizz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

Brian and the Moles Empty
PostSubject: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm

I must preface what follows by saying that I was born and raised in suburban East London, the county of Essex in fact, which is mostly associated with dodgy car dealers, blonde bimbo’s and overpaid city bankers rather than natural wildlife. As a result my knowledge of moles was limited to children’s stories like Wind in the Willows where moles are always depicted as warm cuddly helpful creatures.

Brian and the Moles Bp_s_m10

And for the ensuing 40 odd years my path was never crossed by a single live mole. I do recall once hearing Jasper Carrot’s “mole sketch” on audio tape, I laughed but never imagined that in future I would be similarly involved.

Japer Carrot Mole Sketch

However having moved to France and acquiring a hectare of land and building a garden railway I’ve become increasingly drawn into battle with the little beasts.
As readers of my other thread on this forum will know, I have recently been tackling the problem with petrol. This was an idea from an English neighbour and involved exposing the holes under the mole hills, pouring in a cupful of petrol, covering the holes with a piece of wood to prevent evaporation, quickly repeating the process along the line of the run before igniting at one end.

Brian and the Moles Flames10

I have to say this was great fun and quite a spectacle watching spouts of flame erupting from various points on the lawn and a few impressive bangs. It also showed just how long and twisting mole runs can be, as explosions would erupt from unpredictable areas. Exciting, dodging gouts of flame threatening to unexpectedly engulf your man parts!

Some 50 litres of petrol and many man hours later the little b****gers keep coming back, and the garden looks like the Somme.

Brian and the Moles Mole_c10

So time to engage “the final solution” – meet the DETAUPER

Brian and the Moles Detaup10

“Taupe” as I’m sure you know is the French for Mole and this device is guaranteed to kill !
It works by firing an explosive charge (banger sized) in the mole run when tripped by a sensing plunger. I set the first one last night and within three hours it was tripped and the first positive mole kill was chalked up on the barn door. I just hope there will be more to follow .....

Brian and the Moles Door_s10

And the moles don't have the last laugh

Brian and the Moles Mole_a11
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 pm

PETA Alert!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
PETA Alert!!!!!!

Judging by the huntin' shootin' & fishin' that goes on round here Bill, I don't think PETA holds much sway in France Brian and the Moles 411673
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Something was missing Twisted Evil

Brian and the Moles Dead_m10
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

This is a serious problem and no one would say you are making a mountain out of a ...... Laughing

Great stuff.

I will go to the cooperative and buy some for the rabbits. They are just as bad here.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:55 pm

I have used these exploders for a few years; they certainly keep the beggars at bay. We recently acquired a few cats (a long story) and this appears to have persuaded the moles to explore the next door neighbour’s land as well, a field that they appeared never to venture into before.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:26 pm

When we arrived here we had loads of moles. I took the advice of a local farmer and poured some red diesel down each 'mole pile'. Result; bit of a pong for several days, but no more moles! Never had them back either!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for the idea Mike.

If I'd known that before splashing out on petrol and the Detauper we might have given it a go!

Not sure about spreading diesel in the field with the horses and dogs though?

At least we can fence off the Detauper and use a dustbin or upturned wheelbarrow to stop inquisitive noses drunken
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Score to date - Day Three .....

Brian and the Moles Door_s11
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 am

...so much for the myth of the European 'green' lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 am

KleineDicke wrote:
...so much for the myth of the European 'green' lifestyle.

bom It’s the moles that make the ‘GREEN’ fields brown, we are just trying to preserve our green fields……… bom bom
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 am

slightly off thread but yes it is a myth. Living in the middle of farming communities we have nearly as much pollution as living in a city! Tractors spurting out clouds of diesel smoke, Fertilizer smells( especially the 'human' variety which they still insist on spraying on the land), then theres the overspray from the chemicals to combat crop diseases, now its thick woodsmoke from burning woodpiles, not to mention the surroundinng house chimneys, and finally when i fire up a little G scale engine some of the neighbours complain!! Oh yes its a hard life living in the country!!

mikey Laughing
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Not to mention all the dust and pollution at harvest time, have you seen the back of a combine harvester when it’s working?
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Dutch moles are easy to spot... But they need a lot of explosives to kill...

Brian and the Moles Geplaatst_mol

It's actually a statue for a digged railway tunnel through a village centre.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:52 pm

The latest tally ..... cheers

Brian and the Moles Door_s12
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 pm

5 kills means you're an "Ace" now.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

It looks like your doing well……
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian and the Moles   Brian and the Moles Empty

Back to top Go down

Brian and the Moles
Page 1 of 1