Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars Empty
PostSubject: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:54 pm

OK, I try to keep up with those great diesel projects over here and although most is way too technical for me I like the projects and ideas.

Being stuck at home at the moment with a fever/flue the only thing I can do is surf the web a bit. So a good time to go treasure hunting in the old archives of modelrailway forums. And so I stumbled on this post that could interest some of you here; gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars. (but than again, perhaps you methanol sniffers knew this project already?). Anyway some video's there also and it seems the builder has managed the sound problems.

If I can find a next post of it (with more info) I shall place the link here also.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:28 pm

It seems to be a lot quieter, one reason why I don't really watch this stuff is because of the noise. This video was bearable. If you find more please post - I would like to see the end product. He seems to have gone on a simpler route with a pull start and a clutch and motors controlled direct from the generator - errrr what is a 1990 Town and Country exactly

Oh and Thanks Paulus
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Found some more (in the MLS LiveSteam archive), including this one more pics and videos of the final result: Gas/Electric.

I'm also pretty sure now that at least Carl already is familiar with this project, because "a Carl from France" is linking to his own Youtube video of his project Wink

See also: Diesel streamliner.

I must say it's a beautiful job!

Paul
Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars 208384
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:41 pm

This is all Bob Pope's work. As you noted Paul many of the 'semi-diesel heads' are aware of his excellent work and I have had a lot of past e mail contact with him.

He spent a great deal of effort in silencing his motor with a baffled coffee pot arrangement which I copied.

However, I personally don't mind the sound that a glo-plug engine makes. drunken
After all that is what it is. cyclops

You can look on You Tube for more of his projects.

Bob Pope You Tube

I like the diesel horn (which occupies one of the streamliner cars).
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Didn't mr Wada and the hydeoumountain team make locomotives very similar to this. There are many vidoes on youtube which show off this model? And others like it from all 3 of the creators. As Carl said, I actually enjoy the noise of the engine and as you all probably know, ny first model was very loud. did this guy make a few of them to sell as the other two I stated have gone down that rout and actually made a nice amount from each item.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 pm

pjti wrote:
- errrr what is a 1990 Town and Country exactly

It's a car: Chrysler 1990 Town and County

bounce
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Wada stopped doing the very expensive and complicated 1:32 GP9 several years ago.

Scott McDonald was the US agent for them.

Wada diesel

This was the catalyst that started many other people off. Laughing
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:01 pm

It was Wada's model that i first saw and i though, what an achievement. His machines are absolutely amazing and a work of art. No wonder they sell for around $2500. Jerry hyde's machines look well made as well. They all seem to use a locomotive frame and body and then stick parts in them. I know these are all gauge 1 but do you think their are a few o gauge locomotives that are wide and long enough to handle have a nitro engine, generator etc in? any suggestions? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:54 pm

does anyone know what type of exhaust is being used on this model and where i could find one and how much etc? also the length of the locomotive?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 pm

If you're talking about Bob Pope's model then that is one he custom made. If you want more info ir would best to e mail him direct, via You Tube or through the MLS forum in the U.S.A.

If you're talking about the Wada GP9 locomotive and or the Zephyr you could try Scott Mcdonald again via MLS or through the Wada link in a prevous post.

If you're trying to silence your machine, experiment with bits of pipe, foam, scotchbrite, rockwool, mesh, wire wool etc..

You can get rid of the noise completely!...and then add a diesel sound module with your chosen V12 turbo as I believe Jerry Hyde did at one stage.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars   Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas/electric streamliner with three passenger cars
Page 1 of 1