Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Congratulations

Go down 
+2
clive_t
mikeyh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 6:26 am

Not about trains, but belated congratulations to Phil Kelly who recently became Mayor of Islington (in London). you aint gonna have too much time for trains now Buddy!!

Congratulations Mayor-Phil-Kelly-seated-in-robes

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 am

Well done, Phil. It's going to be difficult to get down on your hands and knees to clean track in that uniform!

All the best for the coming year
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Blimey...That's a bit of a shock but a nice one!

I didn't even know that the boroughs had their own mayors. I just thought there was one for the whole of London. scratch

Amazing achievement.

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Well done Phil, have a good year. Do you get a cat to go with the job (well your nearly Dick Whittington)
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks to you all;

First of all, reports of an enforced absence from modelling have been greatly exaggerated - see the One axle trailer thread!

We do have Mayors in London Boroughs - since about the 1890s when London local Government started. Unlike Boris, I am not an Executive Mayor - my role is to represent the Borough outside and the Council inside the Borough - more Speaker than Minister. It is a great job. I met Tony Benn on Saturday - he unveiled a plaque commemomorating Islington's role in the Peasants' Revolt (1381). I get to greet my first Royal visitor - Sophie Countess of Wessex - next week. Dorothy and I have an invitation to a Buckingham Palace garden party in July (one big garden but no railway - what a waste.)

And yes, I get Dick Whittington's cat. The point where he traditionally "turned again" and went back to London to be Lord Mayor is marked by a statue of his cat on Highgate Hill, in Islington, and in November, the London Borough Mayors (in full fig as seen above) start from there on a charity walk to the Mansion House where the Lord Mayor (of the City of London also not to be confused with Boris) gives us tea and cakes...

In an endless and interesting succession of community fetes, school children visiting the Town and fundraising for my charity, there appears to be a lull in August - so the railway will not be totally neglected this year and I hope we will host another open weekend!

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Congratulations, Phil. You'll have to work on getting Her Majesty's garden up to snuff.

BTW, you look smashing in a dress. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Congratulations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Congratulations   Congratulations Empty

Back to top Go down

Congratulations
Page 1 of 1