Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Troy's Live Diesel

Go down 
+12
David Grantham
dufrok
pjti
clive_t
mikeyh
dtsteam
KleineDicke
stockers
antonr91
Carl Hibbs
ralphbrades
Sparkeswood
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Sparkeswood

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd9

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd10

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd11

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd12

Still playing with the bodywork.I'll work on this more closely when it's running.

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd13

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd14

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd15

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd16

Should be up and running by the end of the week.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm

OMG..... Turbocharged.....Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Ready for first start.Everything appears to be doing what it should,without the engine running which can only be a good sign Very Happy

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd%2017

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd%2018

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd19

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd20

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Nd21
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am

Amazing, that's a hell of a work of art getting all that into the narrow body. But shows that it can be done. Plus you have much more equipment than me.

I can see how your reversing switch operates now.

When is the big test?

Don't know about other people but I think it's fascinating just observing all the equipment that goes into these machines.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Don't know about other people but I think it's fascinating just observing all the equipment that goes into these machines.

True and Troy has done an amazing job, but every time I see the further complexities of these machines it puts me off starting one! I may have to go the FM12 route and have one commissioned??????????
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Bit hesitant with the starting as not completely sure what it would do in a confined space ......
I realised I hadn't fitted an exhaust gasket but that was the least of my problems.
Seems to be OK.
Engine does not like the red fuel though and the glow plug tickover battery was flat as I discovered afterwards.
I've just got to vent the conservatory before Wifey gets home and a well earned glass of wine is due.
I had to change my origional reverser switch toggle Carl as I melted a terminal with a rather powerful soldering iron.The new one was a whole 35 pence!
A good test and I'm very happy.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Brilliant!!! can't wait to see the re-incarnation in the flesh!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Me too, sounds better as well.

So at the CFBS fête de vapeur we will have at least 5 'full bodied' diesels including this one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 pm

The thing I like best about this building lark is that we meet a couple of times a year.
Apart from that we work individually on these machines.
One of the best things at the displays is studying others peoples engines and saying.................."bloody hell.I wish I'd thought of that!"
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
The thing I like best about this building lark is that we meet a couple of times a year.
And each time we meet we improve, catch up with progress, see a few new ideas, get more mad and have good laugh.
But we never get drunk.....

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 am

Bit of track testing...

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 am

Excellent, first time pulling and pushing a train and lights too!

Btw if you continue watching with the videos in series you get to hear some great music in between the diesel videos!
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Well....I fitted the body Smile and then took it off again. Crying or Very sad
I'm sorry but I need to see the rotating,whizzy dodgy bits Embarassed
When it's covered up,it's lacking something.It makes loads of lovely noise but if you can't see where it's coming from,it detracts from the pleasure of running it.
I'm going to build a cutout body to fit.A bit skeletal.
Bit like smoking a pipe,but not seeing the smoke Laughing

Picked up a huge capacity 'c' type model made battery today to link with the glow plug energizer thing (technical term)
I've a few ideas on the body but I just need a bit of time and divine intervention.
Also picked up a gallon of special synthetic fuel today to see how the engine likes it.
Low smoke says the man.
Fool!.....does he not know what I'm trying to do..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:

When it's covered up,it's lacking something.It makes loads of lovely noise but if you can't see where it's coming from,it detracts from the pleasure of running it.

That's is very true and I think it's part of the attraction of these machines at least being able to see a hint of what's inside even if it is partially concealed.

So yes, scantily clad is the way to go. Cool
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 am

Very nice! Good idea on the cutout body so you can see were the action is.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Now then...where did I get to.A bit more work on the body.Now it's just being left outside to let nature do the weathering bit.

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Rust1

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Rust2

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Rust3

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Rust4
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 pm

That's a really nice project. Very interesting to see how you built it out of nothing, almost.
What are those little grains on the "to be weathered" body.

BTW: My better half would have killed me if I had start the engine in the flat What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Iron filings.
Sprinkled on to wet paint and left outside to rust.As the iron rusts it leaves the brown residue behind.
You never know....it might work.It seemed a good idea after a bit of red wine Neutral
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:18 pm

I had a glue that could be iron particles but wasn't sure. Will you whipe the iron fillings away when the rust is settled?
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

A quick enquiry..does the exhaust need to run cool or can I insulate it?

I ask as I was thinking of embedding my exhaust in fireproof mastic to counteract some of the noise...perhaps Neutral ,thinking that the flexibility of the mastic would absorb some of the tinnyness(might be a made up word Very Happy )
This would obviously keep the exhaust at maximum temps during running,but since the runs are short,might not be a problem.
Hhhhhmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

I don't think it needs to run cool. Mine runs very hot I would say, more than water boiling point.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 am

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the exhaust plumbing can take the temperature. Just make sure the insulation material is not combustible.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Well..I wanted battered,and battered I got Laughing

Just the windows to fit and a bit of fettling on the body fit.

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Endrust1

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Endrust2

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Endrust3

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Endrust4
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am

That's monstrous and will frighten people into watching! Laughing

It'll make a good attraction in 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
Well..I wanted battered,and battered I got Laughing

Battered and fried, I'd say. Nice work. cheers
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 am

Anyone remember "Duel" - Dennis Weaver chased down by a monster truck? Well, some poor little Accucraft steamer is going to jump out of its safety valve when this one comes charging down the track. Like it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Troy's Live Diesel
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next