Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Troy's Live Diesel

Go down 
+12
David Grantham
dufrok
pjti
clive_t
mikeyh
dtsteam
KleineDicke
stockers
antonr91
Carl Hibbs
ralphbrades
Sparkeswood
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 4:59 pm

That looks just awesome...... Cool

What's the material for the chassis? Is it some sort of paxolin?
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

It looks like "whale" grade paxolin rather than lighter in colour "kite" grade that I use for PCBs . As it is the engineering grade are you going to bother with some form of re-enforced edging strip -be it only pieces of wood strip?

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 Metrovickpic26

Congrats on the progress I am still in the process of assembling mine...

regards

ralph

Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Yes it's paxolin.Impervious to most things and solid.Takes a thread as long as you don't push it Wink

This stuff keeps me very safe at work Laughing .It doesn't need any further strengthening.

Just managed to get it started and one of the motors was the wrong polarity.Sorted that and just waiting for a bit more of a charge Rolling Eyes

Thought I'd put it on charge last night but forgot to switch on the socket silent
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Well here's the track test.It was a bit jerky which I thought initially might be a voltage problem but thinking about it ,it might possibly be the clutch slipping perhaps?

Track Test
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey Hey....It goes.... cheers

It didn't look jerky to me but difficult to see exactly. Maybe some throttle servo glitching even? I had a lot of that to start with.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Troy, i love this, it looks very well made, and from what i can see from when this thread was started, youve managed to go from nothing, to having a working loco in a very short amount of time, something that took me way to long to achieve, so well done.

What ideas do you have for the body (if any)

I know Carl makes a pretty good MDF kit Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 pm

antonr91 wrote:

What ideas do you have for the body (if any)

I know Carl makes a pretty good MDF kit Wink

I think Troy can build his own actually....... Cool

Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Wow!! Great work

I'll have to get my skates on.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Fantastic progress in such a short length of time, Troy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:54 pm

I really have only copied Carl's work folks Laughing and it's simplicity is only due to his trials and tribulations over the last few years.Anyone that likes engines and motors

should really give this a go..But I must admit the learning curve of nitro engines and RC has been a bit steep.

Most of us on here have a great delight in using our imagination and inventive spirit to realise our models and I must admit that this has been an absolute joy to do.

I'm going to add the reversing switch this weekend and another servo to control it.I also have some ally clutch shoes coming that I'll fit when needed.At the moment

all is OK.Quite important to ditch the clutch spring though.Big difference without it.

I sorted out the hesitating whilst running on the track Embarassed

I still had the track contacts connected at the motors.Everytime the menace hit a cleanish bit of track it started to short out with the other bogie bom

It now runs perfectly..really well.I'm a very happy bunny cheers

Just a quick edit....live diesel ready and available for international visits Wink
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Troy, well done, fantastic to get so far so quickly. Hope I can catch up for Villebon.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:

Just a quick edit....live diesel ready and available for international visits Wink

Well you'd better bring it over.... I'm ready and waiting. Laughing

St Aubin du Thenney 15/16 October. Accom, food and 'boission' provided.

The thing is we haven't had more than 1 locomotive 'in diesel' (in steam) together yet.

Imagine the noise, smell and smoke. drunken

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 pm

[quote="Carl Hibbs"]
Sparkeswood wrote:

Imagine the noise, smell and smoke. drunken

.....and that's just me Very Happy

Sorting it out over the weekend.

Today I bought a new fuel tank (the other one was leaking a bit) and a one way primer valve ((with a squishy rubber bulb) very useful bit of kit).

I also got a battery that I can connect to a sort of HT lead which in turn connects to the glow plug.I intend to connect this via a microswitch so that when the throttle

reaches tickover,the glowplug is energized.

Spent an hour in the model shop (explaining the concept) to a very interested shopkeeper.

You have a lot to answer for Carl Smile
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:49 pm

This energising the glo pug at low revs and with a rich mixture helps smoother slow running and idling. It seems to be 'la mode' with aircraft at the moment.

There are (expensive) automatic kits available.

On the green monster it stays energised all the time.

I shall be working on my 'number 3' this weekend.

Let me know about October...
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Got a busy Saturday ahead ,wedding anniversary and a local railway show (not a look in Crying or Very sad preset old blokes with 30 minute slots) , but I hope to try again to give you a ring tomorrow evening if Ok
Off to Holland next weekend for a figure modelling show,in between the bars of course Laughing with a couple of friends.
Hopefully I'll be able to get everything done ready for the 15/16th.there will be no body shell though.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:03 pm

I stupidly decided to change the carb settings today without taking note of the standard.
Hence now no start Embarassed
Could anyone with a GX12 please give me the correct adjustments of the mixture and tickover if possible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Tighten finger tight, then screw 2 1/2 turns out. I use 3 turns on mine but i believe the standard is 2 1/2 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:08 pm

What about the other one (with the spring and flathead adjustment?
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Thats just your idle screw, it will change the position of the carb as you screw it in and unscrew it. Its easier to adjust that when your engine is running i find, as you can get it idling at what you would like. Sorry if that doesnt answer your question.

I have mine all the way screwed in, as that just leaved the smallest gap and allows the engine to idle at its lowest speed. That is why i run mine slightly richer.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Cheers Anton.You're a star.
I'll give it a go when my arm has stopped hurting from trying to start the bloody thing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Well.
'tis done Smile

Track test complete.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Live diesel at its best.

Smooth and a pleasant sound too.

No disrespect to the 2 well known live diesel engineers in the USA but body excepting (at this stage) yours is well on par.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that running in the flesh in a couple of weeks time.
Nitrofest in Normandy.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Cheers Carl.
I'm off to Holland over the weekend but I'll be booking the tunnel in the earlier part of next week.I'll PM the times.
Really looking forward to it.It's been too long. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Diesel is off for it's first visit tomorrow to be examined by a couple of members of the gauge 1 society Shocked

I now know what body is going on it.Not the 25.
It's going to be green and cream with a matching trailer car.
They have one at Tenterden.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Well.
That got their interest Very Happy
Half hour's continuous running with no explosions or faults.Worked well on the finescale track too.
I've got to order some more parts as one of them wants to build one Cool
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 6:45 pm

It's going to end up as this..

Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 108
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy's Live Diesel   Troy's Live Diesel - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Troy's Live Diesel
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next