Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dufroks live diesel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dufrok

Dufroks live diesel Empty
PostSubject: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Have built a chassis with two Aristocraft bogies.

Connected everything up, the ESC is a Viper ECO27, when I press setup I can get forward only.

Any suggestions on how to set up reverse?
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 pm

There is an instruction sheet you can download... But the obvious question is -is your ESC the reversable type?

download

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks ralph,

all sorted, I had the reverse switched off ont he ESC.

Have the chassis running nicely ( on a 7.2v battery at the mo.)

Liam.
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Dufroks live diesel Augustfionas1stdayinStVincents047
As far as I've got.

Chassis runs well on battery with R/C.

Difficulty starting the engine, have NO idea about Carburettor or idle Adjustments.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:47 pm

That's very similar to the way I built the green monster.

Is that a Kyosho .12 engine Liam?

Staring first time can be a little sensitive. Do you have instructions?

If not.

Screw in mixture needle valve gently until closed, resistance will be felt, then unscrew 3 full turns.

Fuel in tank and pressured, prime fuel system, you have a priming/pump device on the tank,
no air in fuel tube at all and fuel in the carb.
Open carb/throttle, put finger over inlet ( remove air filter...) pull the starter a few times to draw some fuel into the engine. Return throttle.
Connect glow plug and pull starter but not all the way out only about 3/4.

Should fire up after a few pulls.

Lean mixture a little after a few runs.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Liam, love the fact that you have your whole unit on one simple board, which could then be put into different application.

what size motor/generator are you using?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 am

How are you going to connect the electric motor to the nitro engine?

If you are coming to RailExpo in November, bring it and we will try and get it running.
Especially if you come on Thursday afternoon, after I have installed the layout and provided I don't chat too much there could be some modelling time. Surprised

That applies to anyone else too.
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 am

Yes Carl, its a Kyosho GX12.

Its all thats left from a nitro car that I built week by week from a magazine.

One car part each week, ended up knowing how it all went together (but cost a fortune)

Anyway, on its maiden voyage, it crashed and that was that.
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks Anton, the motor is from the Expo catalogue and I am just guessing it might

do the job.

I was using the wooden board as a test set up, to get everthing working. Then mount all

parts on the aluminium plate on the chassis.

I had'nt thought about just fitting the wooden board directly. Which now makes perfect

sense!
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 am

The plan Carl, is to drill a round piece of brass each end to fit the two shafts.

Then drill two holes in the side, tap them and secure with grub screws.

I have filed a flat on both shafts, tighten all up, a few drops of Loctite and see.....

Will it stay together?

I have flight booked for RailExpo but wont get there until Friday.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:57 am

Liam, having experimented with a fair few motors over the last year, and finding that there seems to be just one answer for me at the moment. The MFA torpedo 850, as its large enough to electronically start the loco, and it then switches to the generator. It also puts out a max voltage of around 19 volts at max rpm from the GX12. This is enough to power my circuitry and have enough power left for the traction motor(s). I also plan to use one on the Warship as i was using a wrong motor for a while and it has caused me way too many problems.

Looking at your set up and your bogies, im guessing they are both 12v motors in the bogies, and your ESC will take some power as well. That looks like a 9-12v car/boat motor, as i have a few that look like that. (just a guess). Do you think youl create enough power and or do you know what that motor's spec is?

Yes mounting the wooden part straight to the chassis would be much easier and i have done that on both of my locos.

I also hope to come to the expo as i would love to see all these machines in one place and i am sure that it will attract a nice crowd. I have to see what my uni schedule is first but it should be okay.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 pm

antonr91 wrote:

I also hope to come to the expo as i would love to see all these machines in one place and i am sure that it will attract a nice crowd. I have to see what my uni schedule is first but it should be okay.

If you chaps can get to rail expo we could potentially put on a very interesting show (along with the traditional...cough, cough live steam of course... Laughing )
+5 possible diesel machines in various forms of construction and operation.
That would be a world first. cheers

Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Dont know if I could take my setup on the plane???

But I could take my Guinness steam loco rolling chassis (32mm gauge)

Should get it rolling by then!

Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for the info on the MFA torpedo 850, Anton.

Will get one and give it a try.
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 pm

All sorted for ExpoRail 2011 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:24 pm

dufrok wrote:
Dont know if I could take my setup on the plane???

But I could take my Guinness steam loco rolling chassis (32mm gauge)

Should get it rolling by then!

You could ask the airline. I would give you a covering letter if required.
Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks Carl, will look into that.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:11 am

The benefit is that it wont really fry your electrics (ESC + RECEIVER) and that you can also use it as the starter motor, which is far more entertaining for viewers and more satisfying for yourself Smile

Ive looked on ebay for you yesterday and i had found one guy who was selling 2 second hand MFA 850 motor for £22, but ive looked this morning and cant find it, so it must have sold...

They are all a bit expensive on ebay now, i remember Carl had given me a link where i could get 1 for around £20...not sure if its still that price but they seem a pretty good motor.

Back to top Go down
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Did a search for the MFA Anton, Hobbies keep them and I will get one from them.

Thanks for having a look on Ebay!
Back to top Go down
ralphbrades

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Could I suggest the people who I get most of my stuff from? They are "Technobots"

http://www.technobotsonline.com/

When was Secretary for the Gauge '3' Society I applied for and got a 10% discount on all their stuff sold to all the G3S members. I think that we (the G3S and the N2.5GA) account for quite a lot of their business!!!

regards

ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk
dufrok

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Checked out that website Ralph,

Very good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dufroks live diesel   Dufroks live diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

Dufroks live diesel
Page 1 of 1