Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RailExpo 2012

Go down 
+6
KleineDicke
Sparkeswood
philkelly
David Grantham
Paulus
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Carl
Are either of these gas adaptors what you're looking for?

I can bring them both "sans" gas in ay case cheers

RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Img_1510
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Brian: Yes, If you could bring both without gas of course I shall be very grateful. We hopefully won't need them but they will be good back up.
Thanks.

David. I'm sure there is a taxi rank outside the station but as you suggest most taxis in the suburbs and smaller towns seem to be prebooked rather than waiting on a rank for business.
There is often a dedicated taxi telephone and it looks like there is one at Pontoise from listings.

http://www.118218.fr/annuaire-professionnel/val-oise/pontoise-95/taxi/taxi-borne-appel-cOTi5Brvj3T2wPw==/

Note the main station entrance/exit and bus stop is on the north side whereas the shortest route on foot to Saint Martin is via the pedestrian bridge to the south side.

But the offer still remains to meet or pick up. It really will be no trouble. I'll leave it up to you.

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I'll bring my nozzle.What's the water situation.Do you want me to bring a load of 'tumble drier'water?I can just stick a container in the boot of the car.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:36 pm

There's no need to bring your own water unless you have a real passion for it or don't like Normandy rain....which I'm getting a bit fed with. Neutral

I spent the weekend double filtering and decanting about 20 litres to take.

If Brian brings his 2 nozzles that will be enough but bring yours anyway!

I just get a bit scared as the time approaches trying forsee any potential problems.

I had lunch with Jean Claude (the president) today and he said: That everyone at St Aubin loved Troy... I love you
Also that there will be cocktail and drinks on Friday night and that people from here will be welcome.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Just finished Expo signalling meeting with Geoff Parton. Spec agreed as follows:-

- 2 sets of prototype block instruments will be provided by GP
- Suitable tables for block instruments to be provided by CH
- 2 Home and 2 Distant manually operated signals provided by DG
- Both up and down lines signalled but until competency only outer in use
- Signalling to operate something like 5 mins per hour or as required
- List of simplified bell codes provided by GP
- Working detonators (partypoppers) to be provided by DG
- Authentic signalmen uniform provided (and worn) by GP
- Signalmen's SOP written by GP
- Drivers SOP written by GP

Carl, please tell us if you want any of the above modified.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Fantastic.

Dinner on me Thursday night at the Campanile then!

Ding.... ding.....
ding, ding......ding.

Laughing

Wait till I tell the organisers....err no I'll keep it a surprise. bounce

Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I have been looking at how to drive there. Google has two Parcs des expositions in Pontoise:

Parc des Expositions de Pontoise RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Transparent

Chaussée Jules César, 95300 Pontoise

01 30 38 90 12 () ‎ · expos-pontoise.com

ateliers créatifs · salon du mariage · évènement

"La plus grande salle du Val-d'Oise se trouve seulement à quelques ..." - cityvox.fr

RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 TransparentRailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Transparent

Parc Des Expositions Saint Martin RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Transparent

60 Chemin de la Côte Lézard, 95300 Pontoise

expos-pontoise.com

The first one is where it was last time and is in the centre of Pontoise, walkable (the map suggests) from the station: but I note that the poster (as on the home page) says Parc des expositions ST MARTIN - which is somehere else, north east of the centre....

Is this a mistake?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks Carl.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

David or Geoff.

Could you let me have a copy of the simplified bell codes that you intend to use so I can translate them to French please?

The portable layout has obviously the two lines inner and outer (up and down....) plus a single passing loop which will be kept clear this time for running.

I assume that the inner track (running anti-clockwise) will be the 'down' line and the outer track the 'up' line (running clockwise)
That would make the crossover between the 2 'trailing'.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Carl, I am not sure GP logs on to CGT so I have sent him an email of your request.

Sounds correct if left hand running is the way in France.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Good point David, I've got it wrong! The SNCF run the same as BR. It's the metro that runs the opposite. Embarassed

It doesn't really matter I suppose except for the crossover.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Plans of the hall can be found here:

Rail Expo hall 1

Rail Expo hall 2

Rail Expo list of exhibitors

We are in hall 2, located on allée F and between allées 2-3, marked on the plan as TDS/Carl Hibbs.
There are some huge layouts this year which dwarf mine.

Hall 2 is to the right of the main entrance and there is a small parking area directly outside accessible from the main road (Chaussée Jules César).

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Signals ready for departure to Expo.
Magnetic out of use signs fitted for running when the signalmen are off duty.

RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Signal10
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Very impressive...Where did these come from?

I was trying to find out what system of bell codes if any they use in France but so far I haven't found anything at all. scratch
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Just some old Hornby O Gauge signals I had lying about and OOU crosses are plasticard glued to fridge magnets.

List of codes for translation will be sent next week after Geoff visits me in the UK again.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I dont think bell codes were widely used in France. Most lines used the Lartigue system which I think was a means of automating signals behind and in front of the block based on the actuation of the signal in the middle block ???

Google Lartigue gives some results and maybe I should have read and understood before writing the paragraph above.

Presumably it does n't matter that we demo the old fashioned manual English method but we might need to explain a little of what's going on.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 6:36 am

David Grantham wrote:
I dont think bell codes were widely used in France. Most lines used the Lartigue system which I think was a means of automating signals behind and in front of the block based on the actuation of the signal in the middle block ???

Google Lartigue gives some results and maybe I should have read and understood before writing the paragraph above.

Presumably it doesn't matter that we demo the old fashioned manual English method but we might need to explain a little of what's going on.

Exactly! The great thing is providing an interesting show for the public. Most people would have never seen or heard signalling bell codes.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 am

I have started working on a simple explanation and introduction in English and French.
Please feel free to advise or correct bearing in mind that this is intended for non-native English.

Block Signalling Bell Codes

In Great Britain and certain other countries influenced by British Railways a unique system of communicating train movements along the railway lines was developed.

This system uses bell codes to announce and indicate the presence of trains in the signalling section.
The codes are used by signalboxes and enable the signalmen to accurately control train movements. This is called ‘block working’.

Here are 2 genuine original block intruments representing 2 signalboxes. Each box communicates information about the approaching train to the other box.
Each signalman will acknowledge the information and then change the signals and points as required or necessary for the passage of the train through his block section of track.

The equipment is generously provided and operated by David Grantham and Geoff Parton who are experienced former signalmen on British Railways.

Demonstrations will take place regularly throughout the day, please see the panel for details.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Here is a list of simplified codes and and their meanings......

Bloc de signalisation – codes de sonnerie.

En Grande-Bretagne et certains autres pays influencés par les chemins de fer britanniques a développé un système unique de communication des mouvements de trains le long des lignes de chemin de fer.

Ce système utilise des codes de sonnerie par une cloche électrique pour annoncer et indiquer la présence de trains dans la section de signalisation.
Les codes sont utilisés par les postes d’aiguillages et permettent les aiguilleurs un contrôle précis de la circulation des trains. Ceci est appelé « bloc working ».

Voici les 2 instruments authentiques du bloc original représentant 2 postes d’aiguillages. Chaque poste communique les informations sur le train qui approchait de l'autre poste.
Chaque aiguilleur accusera les informations et puis changer les aiguillages et les signaux comme requis ou nécessaire pour le passage du train par l'intermédiaire de sa section de bloc de la voie.

L'équipement est fournit généreusement et exploité par David Grantham et Geoff Parton qui sont expérimentés anciens aiguilleurs des chemins de fer britanniques.

Des démonstrations passeront régulièrement tout au long de la journée, voir le panneau pour plus des informations. N’hesitez pas de demander si vous avez des questions mais David et Geoff sont anglais.

Voici une liste des codes simplifiées et leurs significations.......

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Carl, we were signalmen on the Great Central Railway in Leicestershire. This was the last main line to be built in the UK and is possibly the only heritage railway in the world that has a fully signalled, double track, steam operated main line.

Neither of us ever worked for BR.

Geoff, who knows a lot more about signalling than I, was also the project manager responsible for relaying the 8 miles of main line double track between Loughborough and Rothley and the 2 miles of single track between Rothley and Leicester South (Birstall).

Will be in touch with bell codes next week after Geoff visits me in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Okay David, thanks for the correction and I will amend the text accordingly.
I remember now that you were involved in the GCR (the preserved one...not the original.... Wink ) but I also had it in my head somehow that you were with BR too.

Is this (GCR) line the one they used for the film 'The Navigators' that Geoff was also invloved in?

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am

Yes I think it was. The GCR has featured in many films in the last 15 years, like Shadowlands, and Geoff has had a cameo in a few of them. In fact I was only watching a TV documentary the other night and suddenly he appears, pulling everything he can in Loughborough box and finishing with a superbly orchestrated ding ding.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Carl, I am struggling to understand how to get from Gare Du Nord to Pontoise. The issues I dont understand are

- RER C terminates at Pontoise but on my map does not pass through Gare du Nord. What line do I access from Gare du Nord. A,B,C,D,E or metro ?
- One guide differentiates between GdN SNCF, GdN SNCF surface and GdN RER. Can you explain ?
- Is the RER station and the SNCF station at Pontoise one and the same ?
- Is it an option to go SNCF from GdN to Pontoise instead of RER ?

Apologies, I tried to figure it out from Google but I couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm

David, it can be confusing.

There are several ways to get from Paris centre to Pontoise.

The easiest in my opinion for you is to take the suburban train (train banlieu).
This is the Gare du Nord SURFACE. The platforms are over to the right hand side if the Eurostar arrives on the left (looking north).
The journey time is about 45 mins. The trains run about every 30 mins frequency.

The trains have (code) names. The direct to Pontoise is usually called ODDA, There is also another where you can change at Ermont. This train is called FOGI and the train from Ermont to Pontoise is called NORA. Journey time is about the same for direct trains.

See Transilien website in English for journey planning. (Transilien is the SNCF in Ile de France (greater Paris)).

The RER (platforms underground) doesn't go (direct) from the Gare du Nord to Pontoise. It's the RER C (yellow) that terminates at Pontoise but that runs west and south of the Seine. Only useful if anyone is coming via Gare d'Austerlitz. Pontoise RER and SNCF are the same station.
Anyone coming by plane...?? can take the RER 'B' to the Gare du Nord from Charles de Gaulle or Orly and change.

Note the RER 'A' and 'B' lines are run by the RATP (Paris Transport Authority).

The others are run by the SNCF.

The RER 'A' line goes to Cergy Prefecture which is also about 10-15 mins walk from the exhibition but the other side of the motorway A15. The no. 30 bus runs between the 2 stations via Plateau Saint Martin for the exhibition. The RER 'A' connects with the Gare de Lyon and east of Paris and Disneyland.
Unfortunately there is no RER at Gare Montparnasse.

So in summary, forget the RER and take the suburban train.

You can also go from the Gare St Lazare by direct suburban train too.......

If anyone needs any more help please ask. Travelling in Paris is easy and very efficient when you know how and where to go....!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Thats very clear Carl. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Geoff and I had a signalling simulation session today on my dining room table. We used the actual signals and rehearsed the procedure and bell sequence with an open wagon pretending to be the train. It was apparent that we should only signal the outer track because we dont have enough signals and it would require every train to stop at the home signals, as it takes longer to do the bells than to drive the train between them. I dont think this matters as there will be plenty going off on the outer track, but let me know if you disagree.

The bell codes we will be using are

1 Call attention
3-1 Is section clear to accept a passenger train
1-4 Is section clear to accept a goods train
2 Train entering section
2-1 Train out of section
5-5-5 Signal box opening
7-5-5 Signal box closing
6 Obstruction in section

Now whether you want to publish the above abbreviated list and a more comprehensive list that reflects a real working signal box is questionable. If you want a more comprehensive list just ask as I have one handy.

To avoid confusion and duplication I have suggested that Geoff logs on to CGT rather than using email etc and this he is going to do.

I think the detonators should be used to warn any driver who commits a SPAD.

Twisted Evil

So looking forward to this.

Last edited by David Grantham on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

RailExpo 2012
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next