Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RailExpo 2012

Go down 
+6
KleineDicke
Sparkeswood
philkelly
David Grantham
Paulus
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Geoff and I had a signalling simulation session today on my dining room table. We used the actual signals and rehearsed the procedure and bell sequence with an open wagon pretending to be the train. It was apparent that we should only signal the outer track because we dont have enough signals and it would require every train to stop at the home signals, as it takes longer to do the bells than to drive the train between them. I dont think this matters as there will be plenty going off on the outer track, but let me know if you disagree.

The bell codes we will be using are

1 Call attention
3-1 Is section clear to accept a passenger train
1-4 Is section clear to accept a goods train
2 Train entering section
2-1 Train out of section
5-5-5 Signal box opening
7-5-5 Signal box closing
6 Obstruction in section

Now whether you want to publish the above abbreviated list and a more comprehensive list that reflects a real working signal box is questionable. If you want a more comprehensive list just ask as I have one handy.

To avoid confusion and duplication I have suggested that Geoff logs on to CGT rather than using email etc and this he is going to do.

I think the detonators should be used to warn any driver who commits a SPAD.

Twisted Evil

So looking forward to this.

Last edited by David Grantham on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm

That's perfect David. I think I'll just publish this list and if anyone wants to know more I'll pass them over to to you or Geoff.... Cool

Or we can refer them to a website somewhere!

Well done. Very Happy

I think we should issue driver's permits and have them endorsed for bad driving....and a fine.
....mmm.... I'd better bring a lot of money then.silent
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 pm

How are the nerves Carl?

Hope you're all packed and ready to go!

Looking forward to seeing you on friday!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 am

Packing today Brian. Not really nerves...it becomes a bit of a routine or ritual I suppose.
But there is always a worry that I'll forget some vital piece of equipment. scratch

I shall be onsite from about 7.30 am tomorrow!
And I'm looking forward to a jolly good weekend too. bounce

There will essentially be 5 of us:
Brian, David, Geoff, Troy and err...me.
(I've asked for proper badges for everyone) plus anyone else who comes 'on the day'.

Don't forget to call me if anyone has a problem.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Just back from an exhausting but thoroughly enjoyable three days with the crew. Most of the others may well be still travelling... David and Margaret to Brive by train, Troy et famille by car and Chunnel to Kent, Geoff by Car to Ruffec and poor old Carl probably still dismantling the layout and driving back to Normandy. I felt bad abandoning Geoff and Carl at 5 but had to make it back to Angouleme by TGV.

Made some great new friends, we were well entertained by the organisers.

Pics and videos in the morning.

Thanks to all !
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:30 am

As promised a few pics...

Carl as usual presented an excellent stand, with a little note on the left to upset the french which translated meant "Trains run all day-No Strikes Here"
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 The_st10

Geoff surrounded by a pair of scary fellow "exposants"...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Scary10

Dave pretending he understands Geoffs signalling system...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Dave10

I think we had something like 13 Live Steam locos to choose from...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Steame10

A familiar face dropped by on Friday...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 A_fami10

Geoff demos his signals and bells...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Geoffs10

Troy "drives" his live diesel....
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Troy_p10

Carl preps a Regner "Coffee Pot". NOTE the burnt finger on the right...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Carl_p10

I can honestly say we had the most popular stand at the show particularly when we were running two live diesels and my Edrig with the steam whistle going simultaneosly.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Today has been spent resting at my sisters house in Brive after a tiring but fabulous RailExpo, before returning to the UK next week.

Thanks to Troy, Geoff, Brian and Carl for a great event with great company and thanks to Carl for the invitation and for getting us looked after with such hospitality.

I look forward to meeting up again at the earliest opportunity.

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

I got home at about 10.30 last night and only thanks to stirling assistance from Geoff who stayed to the bitter end amidst the mayhem of clearing up.

A top weekend....where did the time go? Not enough of it that's for sure.

Considering the tiny space, lots of activity and obligatory work everyone got on brilliantly. Everybody did their bit with panache and.... a drop of poirée.

Some great moments.
Geoff (in complete attire) and Dave's bell sonata with the block instruments.
Brian's Edrig whistle.
Troy's diesel show of at least 4 hours accumulated running time and later with mine playing wacky racers with both diesels hurtling round which pulled the crowd.

My only beef was my precious time being taken up with novice fringe people asking me to show them how their new Regner steam engine works straight out of the box with no prior knowledge. And then to have to hastily and crudely repair the machine because it had a build fault. Normally I don't mind but.....

A busy show is not the place to do that and meant I had less time to deal with 'our' issues and run trains as I fully intended. I had 4 locomotives that stayed in their boxes. That won't happen again.

They'll be some changes next time and the layout needs to be improved further.
Plus as people are getting more involved there needs to be some sort of affiliation whereby those contributing in this way are remunerated.

If I can find my camera amongst the debris I will post some pics. Thanks for yours Brian.
Back to top Go down
ted

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks Carl - and Dave, Brian and Troy of course! - for a great weekend. Got home 01.30 - managed to navigate my way out of Paris better than my way in. Will try to get the film I took into a transmittable format, but for now - a bientot!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 4:51 am

Judging from the photos, a fine time was had by all, indeed. Too bad I couldn't make it. Maybe next year. Two questions:

Did Troy bring his Deux Chevaux?

Carl, where's the pink tee shirts you promised everyone?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am

The morning ritual at the fair, exhibitors from the adjoining PK 149 exhibit do their stuff followed by a handshake with Troy...

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 am

A general view of our section of the exhibition hall before opening ( the other Brit on film was Dave from the Netherlands on the adjoining Proto 87 stand....

I did shoot some video of Troy and Carl's diesels racing together but realise now that it was using Carl's camera - perhaps he'll post later?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 am

A few more pics...

Troy and Carl in Live Diesel mode, which always attracted excited youngsters...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Troy_c11

During lulls in the live steam and diesel action Geoff's electric powered loco must have covered a few hundred kilometres (on day two we did turn the block signalling unit on the right to face the visitors, but it still left most of them confused)....
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Electr10

The offending Regner Emma, which one of the organising committee members foisted on Carl to "run in" as mentioned in his post above...
RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Emma10
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

KleineDicke wrote:
Where's the pink tee shirts ?

No pink T shirts but Carl did provide two artisans aprons sported by myself and Carl in a couple of the pics. No fashion statement but ideal when handling live steam, having tools and towels ready to hand and keeping steam oil and splatter off your clothes...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I will publish that video asap and some other pics.

The aprons (tabliers in French) are very useful mine cost about 7 euros from an online garden centre: tablier

The material is tough, woven and waterproof. It is however better to wear a shirt with a collar to avoid neck rub.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Although I've popped in for a quick look,this is the first time I've had for a reply.
A very good weekend all round really.The children enjoyed themselves,with the exit door duty being their favourite!Emily says she'd like to do it again which is a marvel considering there were no tv screens !
As always,thanks for allowing me and my machines for invading your layout,but this time I must thank the others for some really pleasant company.I feel that it worked very well with people in and out of the circle,running their things and enjoying themselves.
I must admit to using the signalling system to indicate attractive women in the audience but there was no hope of me understanding how it was supposed to work!
There's loads I'd like to talk about but I'm no typist so I'll leave it until me meet again.Soon I hope.
Live diesel had a good run and a little accident on leaving (a small matter of falling 4 feet onto a concrete floor).It's already back together though,and a test run on the weekend.Carl...if you have the video of the wacky races I'd love to see it.
So there you go.Thanks all round.
A little bit of video to share....

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm in the process of uploading some video but in the meantime you might like to watch this:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xve73v_jt-26112012_news&start=392

This was broadcast on the local television station Val d'Oise on their Monday news program. Railexpo starts at around 6.23 minutes. We get quite a good coverage. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Here are a few pics of something not usually seen and that is a relatively empty exhibition area and building up the layout.

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Railex27

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Railex28

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Railex29

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Railex30

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Railex31
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Here is the racing video but we raced harder and faster the day after.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 am

There are quite a number of other videos on YouTube and I found this featuring Brian's Edrig, Geoff's Bachman and my Brissonneau diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QbOGAomMmg

Coverage of our bit starts at about 11.50
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

This one is quite good, shows Carl and Troy working while I laze in the corner...

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Nice pictures and video's!

Seems you all had a good time Surprised and I missed a good show and some good laughs Rolling Eyes
But that's my own fault...

Great looking layout again Carl and I love Geoff's outfit!
Had to admit, the first time I saw the aprons I thougt those were even worst than pink shirts, but I can see how these are usefull.

Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 am

Well Guys, I think you all did an excellent job. Clearly there aren't the number of shows in France as the UK, and looking at the quality of the show, that's no bad thing. You all pulled the stops out to put on a good display, and it shows. More to the point you hogged the TV coverage !
The layout looked simple, straightforward, and above all neat. Personally I wouldn't be tempted to make it any more than it is. How did you get the layout in btw ?

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:41 pm

dtsteam wrote:
How did you get the layout in btw ?

Thanks for the kind comments Dave.

This entire layout, equipment and all the stock fits into a Renault Twingo and a small baggage trailer.

French model rail exhibitions are quite frequent in the smaller scales and very fine modelling too. What they lack in model rail terms is the live, active entertainment aspect which was something we tried to satisfy and will hopefully continue to do.

Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Sods law dictates that when you get anywhere important the camera battery is flat, but this is with my phone - including the videos (see below...)Five pics of the CGT team:

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 TDS1

[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp293/philkelly56w/TDS2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp293/philkelly56w/TDS3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp293/philkelly56w/TDS4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp293/philkelly56w/TDS5.jpg[/IMG]

And two videos: Carl's Brissoneau (watch the sound levels if you play this one):

https://youtu.be/8FjKnbP5p4s,

and a demonstration of block signalling (while Carl repairs yet another Regner (?) in the foreground....)

https://youtu.be/7P5PCYX6h1A
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm

I think these are the pics I was trying to insert:

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 TDS2

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 TDS3

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 TDS4

RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 TDS5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   RailExpo 2012 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

RailExpo 2012
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next