Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Signals the Clive way

Go down 
+4
French Chuffed
Admin
clive_t
Carl Hibbs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Signals the Clive way Empty
PostSubject: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks to an inspirational article from Clive about scratch-built signals I thought I would copy the idea and try some myself.

Clive's signals

Using the same principle but with a greater choice of French plumbing I opted for 10mm diameter pipework.

I have a need for a visual indication at a particular dodgy junction on the CFG. So these 2 bracketed signals need to be fully functioning. The challenge I have is linking the signals to the points to give notice of which way they are set.
A further challenge is to illuminate them.... study

Here are some bits waiting for the blow torch.

Signals the Clive way Sig110

To be continued......

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Showing off now... Cool

Again, looking forward to seeing how that's done! Might be tempted to emulate that if my 10 thumbs allow for it
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Copying is often the greatest form of recognition as one tries to emulate another's success.

So whatever I achieve it will be down to you.

Having attacked the pieces with the blowtorch this is where we are now.

Signals the Clive way Sig210
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:24 am

Guess I was right - 10mm does look better! Cool
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 6:18 pm

10mm is easier to work with and in reality gives a pole diameter of 225mm of course.
For the base I have used 12mm and 14mm which telescope nicely!

Sadly it has now got all complicated. Nothing is simple these days. Exclamation

Trying to figure out the design and geometry of upper versus lower or full quadrant signalling plus illumination caused great mental and marital strain today.

I realised eventually that I didn't really want a signal as such but a direction indicator.
This could be done with a just single post and arm. So more soldering.......

Narrow gauge semaphore signalling is quite rare. I remember seeing some on the metre gauge in Alicante during the early 80's and if anyone has any pics or references of any elsewhere I would be grateful.

I found quite a good site in Belgium for direction indicating signals which is close to want I want.

Belgian signals
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Of course, you can have signals how you want them (in one yard at Immingham there are signals with blue light instead of the more usual red /yellow / green) but usually the semaphore signal arm either faces left or right but never both ways. In UK the arms face left (whether they are placed to the left or right of the track they apply to). On the Continent and USA the arms usually face right. The colours of the arms are universally red for stop signals and yellow for distant signals. The backs of signal arms are usually painted white or black to show that the signal does not apply in the opposite direction. A lot of homemade signals are made to almost represent barrier gates as though a train passing a signal at danger would get its chimney knocked off whereas they should usually face away from the line to which they apply.
Two signals on a split post would normally be for a junction with the taller of the two being the main route. If two signals occupy the same post but for two different tracks, then both signals would be at the same height. If two signals occupy the same single post, the higher of the two signals would indicate the route to the left whilst the lower would control the route to the right (this latter type is usually found in yards to save space). Lots of permutations, the trouble being that the real railways tend to keep things to a minimum whereas a modeller would want to incorporate more points than necessary to make the layout more interesting. If the model is then signalled correctly it looks rather cluttered.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Topic split and merged)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 7:32 am

I've moved this post from the other thread as it was more pertinent.

There is some useful information there that I didn't know, plus I have some information on French signalling too. Smile

For my line the signal has to have a purpose in that a visual indication of a track setting through/above the foliage from a distance away to save tearing across the lawn unnecessarily with my big stick.

So a little practical deviation from the prototype may be needed.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:31 pm

A little more brass and copper work.

Signals the Clive way Sig410

The LED fits in the larger hole in the post from within the post!
The +ve lead goes down the inside and the -ve is trapped in the top cap with a wire soldered discretely to the base.

The signal arm was cut from brass and a 10mm dia washer soldered to give the continental style.

The 3 larger holes in the arm will be for the lenses. This signal will have 3 positions.

I know.... nothing is straightforward. Shocked

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:48 pm

That’s a new one on me Carl. Did they do 3 position signals in reality or is this for modelling purposes only? I am always amazed at your metalworking skills. I think it is the patience that I am lacking now.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 8:03 pm

There is a prototype for everything.

I copied this off the Belgian signal website in the link above.

Signals the Clive way Signal10

C'est dès 1921 que la signalisation à trois positions est adoptée à la SNCB, elle permet une meilleur fluidité du trafic grâce à ses trois positions, horizontale (impose l'arrêt), à 45° autorise le passage mais avec restrictions et verticale (autorise le passage sans restrictions). De nos jours la signalisation mécanique a presque totalement disparue de notre réseau, il ne reste que quelques signaux sur certaines lignes industrielles et dans quelques gares

But yes there is definitely some modeller's licence. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm

After spending rather longer than expected it is just about finished.

The pole is chemically blackened

Signals the Clive way Sig510

Three positions with the horizontal centre as stop.
The camera doesn't really capture the different light colours.

Signals the Clive way Sig610

Signals the Clive way Sig710

Signals the Clive way Sig810

The spectacle lenses were thin pieces of coloured acetate from plastic office type folders.
I must disguise that big nut!

Signals the Clive way Sig910

The ladder was soldered up from some code75 nickel silver rail and 1mm brass rungs

Signals the Clive way Sig1010

Temporary demonstration lever.

Signals the Clive way Sig1110

Still a bit more blacking to do and then to rebuild the Pola signal box before fitting and connecting to the junction. Smile

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm

for once I'm glad they didnt exist in 1910. I could never attempt anything like that. nice one Carl!

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I hate to intrude into Carl's brilliant solution to a problem on his layout - engineering I could never attempt - but I thought French minor railways (single line) mostly operated on the block token system, with despatching by station staff and a simple warning board (red circle with white surround) to warn the driver he was appoaching a station...the possibility of dispensing with signals was one of the advantages of modelling French metre gauge...

Sorry.

I'll p*ss off now.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 10:06 pm

I eventually fitted my one single copper-pipe signal which is now in operating service.

A few pics from this evening's events.

Signals the Clive way Augnig10

This is the 'dodgy junction'. The tracks coming in from the right are both from the station but the tracks going away to the left go off and form different circuit loops.

Signals the Clive way Augnig11

This old Pola telephone cabin thing came in useful to hide and protect the bell crank linking the point and signal.

Signals the Clive way Augnig12

I've been pretty busy outside and also rebuilt the station roof from replacement parts from Imagimonde. Of course I got the usual remark about the overdue repair to the house roof. silent

Signals the Clive way Augnig13

Not many passengers.....Not much service.....Holiday time.

Signals the Clive way Augnig14

Still as the evening draws in, I wonder what or who she is waiting for...mmm

Signals the Clive way Augnig15

The signal is at red and the Billard waits for the right of way.

Signals the Clive way Augnig16

It gets the green light which means it will take the main line to the left of the junction.

Signals the Clive way Augnig17

A complete waste of time fitting out the inside of the station as no one can see it without getting a rupture.

Signals the Clive way Augnig18

But what or who is he staring at?....mmm

Signals the Clive way Augnig19

...ahhh I love you

Signals the Clive way Signal10

A while later De Dion ML railcar waits for the right of way.

Signals the Clive way Signal11

It gets the yellow light and takes the secondary loop to the right this time.

Good night.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Very nice...., i mean the signal with the cable from the point. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:59 am

Nice pics Carl. How did you fix the signal base to the ground? Presumably you are taking a power feed from the signal 'box' for the signal's light?
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

An excellent signal solution, and a set of pictures to match Cool

Chappeau.
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Phew...just back from Haute Normandie....pics to follow elswhere.

Yes Clive, power taken from repaired and rebuilt (after cat attack) signal box to signal pole. This cable was chased and set in the existing concrete base as was the signal itself. Cat resistant I hope.

Thanks Paul...good French complimentary expression 'hat'...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Embarassed

Oops........I understood it meant "Hats off".........as in a mark of respect - but not as in a funeral
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signals the Clive way   Signals the Clive way Empty

Back to top Go down

Signals the Clive way
Page 1 of 1