Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Relay controls. Simple shuttle.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Relay controls. Simple shuttle. Empty
PostSubject: Relay controls. Simple shuttle.   Relay controls. Simple shuttle. EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm

OK heres my take on Relay shuttle operation.......

Relay controls. Simple shuttle. Shuttl13

Layout:

Line consists of single track with station at each end(A+B)

Operation:

Starting off in the middle of the line heading towards station A. The relay "Coil" is denenrgised(down).As the magnet fitted shuttle passes over Reedswitch A, Placed at a suitable point approaching station A, it momentarily makes the normally open (NO) contact closed. This allows the relay Coil to energise, and in so doing alters the change over switch(COS) "Coil1"to close the NO switch, completing the circuit through Reedswitch B and sticking the relay coil in an energised(up) state. This change of state is then used to change the direction of the shuttle via COS "Coil2" and "Coil3" A further COS "Coil4" is used to change the signals to clear/on as appropriate. At the other end, the Normally closed (NC) switch on Reedswitch B, placed at a suitable point approaching Station B, breaks the previously made circuit and swaps traction polarity sending the shuttle back to A.

I would imagine that a suitable capacitor across traction supply.....NON POLARISED!! Would smooth the changeover, to stop the gears of the shuttle being damaged.

Of course the problem here is there is no pause at either end. For that, you would need a 555 timer........

Requirements:

1 x 4COS relay
2 x COS Encapsulated Reed switch.
LEDs for signals
Suitable resistor for signal LEDs
Suitable Capacitor
Wire.

I think that would work OK, total cost less than a tenner.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Relay controls. Simple shuttle.   Relay controls. Simple shuttle. EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 am

That is brilliant John.
It reminds me of a twin slide projector unit I built in the 70’s fading from one to the other with 555 timers and loads of relays, which I think I still have somewhere.
I have still got some landscaping to do before I get into all this electrical stuff.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Relay controls. Simple shuttle.   Relay controls. Simple shuttle. EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for your posting John. I can see how it works and I have the necessary components.

I would like to try and make something for ExpoRail if I get the time. I'm not worried about the pause at this stage but I have some 555 timer circuits linked to bistables that I made years ago if need be!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Relay controls. Simple shuttle.   Relay controls. Simple shuttle. Empty

Back to top Go down

Relay controls. Simple shuttle.
Page 1 of 1