Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne

Go down 
+13
tram47
KleineDicke
dtsteam
Knotty Ash
clive_t
Bearcastle
pjti
GWhizz
Admin
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
mikeyh
French Chuffed
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
GWhizz wrote:
French Chuffed wrote:
I would need to run a feed of about 35 meters if I kept the central station in the heated house. I don’t know what the radio range of the units are but it would require one of at least 50 to 60 meters to work in my garden.

As long as you maintain line of sight between antenna and Navigator the Massoth system works OK at at least 50 meters and up to 100 is quoted.

I run that on an MTS Central Staion is that what you have Peter ?

Yes bounce but it is a central station 2 not 3 and I don’t think it is compatible with the Massoth hand control unit is it???? confused

Sorry don't know! JEREMY ??????????????
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 am

[/quote](Store your locos and LGB/Massoth controllers in your (warm, dry) house. If you leave them out during the Winter, eventually condensation will kill them. (At least three of my friends here in the UK have suffered from this and had to pay out to rectify the situation).[/quote]

Paul have you had any feedback or info on using electrical moisture proofing sprays on the pcb's as there are several that can be used to prevent condensation problems in undesirable conditions??? Question
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 12:20 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
(Store your locos and LGB/Massoth controllers in your (warm, dry) house. If you leave them out during the Winter, eventually condensation will kill them. (At least three of my friends here in the UK have suffered from this and had to pay out to rectify the situation).[/quote]

Paul have you had any feedback or info on using electrical moisture proofing sprays on the pcb's as there are several that can be used to prevent condensation problems in undesirable conditions??? Question[/quote]

I have no knowledge of the sprays Peter........... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:48 pm

I would suggest that putting the Locos back in the original packaging would avoid most of the condensation problems which, I believe, are caused by variations in temperature and humidity. My own collection has suffered no ill effects from being stored in this way in an unheated but largely dry area. It is cold and damp that will getcha
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 pm

GeoffW wrote:
I would suggest that putting the Locos back in the original packaging would avoid most of the condensation problems which, I believe, are caused by variations in temperature and humidity. My own collection has suffered no ill effects from being stored in this way in an unheated but largely dry area. It is cold and damp that will getcha

You're absolutely right Geoff, I'm sure the original packaging is the best long term storage!

However us all year round residents are probably running our locos year round at least two or more times a week, so keep pulling them in out of the original boxes is a bit of a pain! My solution is a series of cassette boxes and during the winter bringing the MTS and Locos into a dry warm environment at night. You do get condensation when you bring a cold loco back inside in the evenings, but it has time to disappate overnight!

To be honest I've not had condensation problems with the chipped locos, but the MTS central station does seem susceptible - a blast with a WARM (I know you hate uppercase, but emphasis needed) hairdryer has always done the trick...
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Saw it, i missed it.

Could you do some pictures from behind the factory (but not from the window too hight) to have a perspectiv of all the dock and the water. Looks impressive.

a bit like this?

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1732
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:29 pm

A nice day today so put the new points in and could to alternate working out of the station round the canal.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1728

Another trial run of the brewery smoke, is it visible?

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1730
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 pm

I just love your trackwork Peter!

That is really coming together!
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 pm

It's back I saw it Wink

Yes like that. I use to work in a "triage", I like that view. I like to see a train line from every angle.

That give idea (I don't say copying) to do your own layout. It's good to see some before.
So you make less mistake at the beginning of it.
As well as I am going to start a small layout so I need to think of the extention.

And i like your ballast, will love to see more pics with it.

Is it a slate on the side of the port ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 pm

The low level shots are great, ballast makes a big difference, the station loooks very impressive. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:28 pm

We have a big 'triage' *(marshalling yard) here in Chelles -Vaires that is little used now.

We also have a branch to an inland canal port and sidings...Not unlike your interesting set up Peter.

*The verb trier in French = sort in English.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 am

Very nice pics - another line that's really starting to mature nicely Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Just to amuse all you brilliant scratch builders. I had a problem, previously discussed, about whether to put my brewery chimney on top of the building or not. The reason for this was the ultrasonic smoke generator I have will not fit in the base of the chimney.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1734So my first attempt at scratch building a small base building for the chimney to house the smoke unit.
Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1735
Basically a box covered in plastic walling sheet, purchased from Jeremy at the open weekend and a spare roof section.The stray grey pipe connector will have a top made for it to be an oil storage tank.

Last edited by French Chuffed on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Fits in just right Peter! tell us more about that smoke generator. I've never seen one before

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Its not a smoke generator really it is an ultrasonic fogger / mist unit, this one runs on DC and was originally intended for model boats, so has a small fan to blow the mist up the chimney. It will run for about an hour on one fill.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Great idea Peter, when its fitted up take a piccy please so i can see just how much smoke it belches out.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:19 pm

It is not too energetic and difficult to photography (see previous attempt on the previous page) but looks acceptable in reality
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 am

The financial management deemed that the edge of the railway needed tidying up with a small wall so that the edge of the grass could be strimmed. So obviously wall dully constructed.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1754

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1757

It has served to confirm my levels and will enable me to progress with the outer loop, next spring. And has also proved that the bridge will only be 600mm high, so I think my Brunel viaduct is out, as there is not enough height, any suggestions for a suitable type of bridge on a curve?
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:27 am

Peter, how long is the span? I was thinking maybe a curved viaduct (of the classic variety)?
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am

The pile of slate has been reclaimed from various parts of the garden and lends itself for the construction of a quarry, but not quite decided where yet.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 DSCF1756
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 am

clive_t wrote:
Peter, how long is the span? I was thinking maybe a curved viaduct (of the classic variety)?

Clive.
It is 3 meters give or take a bit. I think a conventional looking stone viaduct would be a massive undertaking; I have built a short one previously. I was thinking a bit more intricate but not so heavy!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 5:17 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
clive_t wrote:

Clive.
It is 3 meters give or take a bit. I think a conventional looking stone viaduct would be a massive undertaking; I have built a short one previously. I was thinking a bit more intricate but not so heavy!

Hi Peter

Is it worth contacting Geoff's metalworking friend who custom built his bridges for the Vendee Pacific ???
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Not sure if trestles are a French thing, but certainly they can be curved?
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 am

We had a visit from the UK railway inspectorate over the past week. We seemed to get approval but were urged to get more track down, so that a better schedule could be run.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 IMG_2960

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 IMG_2958
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Gosh that's come on a treat! I guess the inspectorate has passed it AAAA++++

Not sure about a couple of the "threepenny bit" curves though - looks like a case for Geoff's railbender?
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Just so that you all don’t think I have died. Doing the wall and a few other jobs has helped me put my back out again.
So I have been confined to putting sound units in. I got a diesel sound unit from Locosound, and am fitting it to the track cleaner. I had previously put 2 LGB decoders in one powers the cleaning wheels and the other on a different address code powers the loco itself, also doing the directional lighting and the flashing roof lights. Unfortunately the speaker I had would not fit in so I have had to put in a smaller lower quality one and I need to get a rechargeable pp9 for the standing sound.

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 2009_102009visit0002

I have also got a Massoth XLS sound decoder for my 2095.06 diesel so the only loco left now to be retro fitted with a sound unit is the Brunig rack loco and a small diesel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne   Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chemin de fer Sud de Bretagne
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next