Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GRS Van Conversion

Go down 
+3
KleineDicke
mikeyh
Clarkmeggs
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:29 pm

I have been making some GRS combi kits (A mixture of LGB chopped chassis, LGB wagon bodies and GRS's van body kits). However they are based, I think, on Welsh narrow guage so the van expecially looks very out of place on a French themed layout. As the van sides are made up of layers of plastic card I had a go at changing the pattern of the sides and adding that vital ingrediant, drop vents. I think that the combi kits are now sold out and I changed the sides so much I am thinking of making another from GRS's van end and roof mouldings and the sides from scratch - just need to sort out a chassis.

This is the almost completed model - the vents are not etched brass but look OK from a distance.

GRS Van Conversion DSC_0068_Small

It is loosely based on the van in this post card. I tried to replicate the frame pattern including the addition of a horizontal frame element on the ends.

GRS Van Conversion 455

From http://www.rvd.free.fr/lechemindeferdepartementaldeladrome.htm
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey I think that looks very 'old time' French. Nice job

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

I like it. What's the overall length? Great postcard, too. There's a Beaumont about 100 miles east of here, but no Alpes.
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 pm

The length is 25cm but this was dictated by GRS's method of chopping 2 medium LGB chassis about 1/3 2/3 along and then joining the two long bits and the two short bit to make a long van and a short wagon.

Good to see that you have pretty hills in Texas as well.
Back to top Go down
pjti

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 pm

A belated welcome and a very nice conversion too.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:41 pm

There are good wagon plans with dimensions and pics in the MTVS reviews.

The K series were the most popular covered types and countless still exist rotting away waiting for a good home....(in Normandy... Cool )

There was also the F type shown below which looks similar to your wagon.

GRS Van Conversion 1105f110

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

I like the metal framed wagons but they do need and extra degree of detail to stop the plastic profile looking plastic - the dreaded rivet counting. So I have made it a wooden frame van which has the additional benefit of being able to use British outline kit parts which are cheaper than Continental kit parts. And the picture suggests a prototype to justify this!

Peter
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
There are good wagon plans with dimensions and pics in the MTVS reviews.

The K series were the most popular covered types and countless still exist rotting away waiting for a good home....(in Normandy... Cool )

There was also the F type shown below which looks similar to your wagon.

GRS Van Conversion 1105f110

Carl- could you post a link, please.

BTW, the Citroen H is perfect for your new estate. If all else fails, you could always convert it into a pizza oven.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:13 pm

That wagon picture was taken off this site.

A fantastic preserved metre gauge railway.

VFV

It was connected to and once part of the great 'Vivarais' network. The VFV is the other side of the valley to the now closed CFV at Lamastre.

Now a Citroen HY would make great 'family' wagon but again good rebuilt ones are a fortune and parts are difficult to get now.
Even 2CVs are fetching silly money here. Everyone's going 'retro'.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Its a shame I didn't know about the VFV when I was making regular trips to Provence. Looks like it is worth a visit. BTW, according the the German Wikipedia, this is the railway that purchased the Spremberger No. 11 (Kleine Dicke) from the Deutsche Reichsbahn in 1973. The Wiki further states it is in storage but not accessible to the public. Anybody know about this?

Do you have a link to the wagon plans you referred to?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 pm

The wagon plans Bill are available through the MTVS

They published a series of reviews about all manner of secondary line rolling stock.
Get the reviews while you can.

You can also pick up the revues from time to time on French e bay.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks. I guess I misunderstood where this might be available.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 7:02 am

If you need some specific wagon plans I'm sure I could copy and send them seeing as many of the reviews are unavailable.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Even 2CVs are fetching silly money here. Everyone's going 'retro'.

Sorry to go completely off subject Embarassed
but does that mean that my 1990 2cv with it's 1960 origional ripple bonnet that's stuck in my garage down the road(seriously) is finally worth getting back on the road cheers

Very nice van conversion by the way.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Yes.....seriously, over here anyway the 2CV is getting popular with collectors.

The 2CV van and plastic bodied Mehari jeep are fetching up to 10,000 euros for good restored models.

Even the uglier Dyane is starting to become a collectors car. silent
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Uglier is a very relative and subjective term, although for many years, Citroen did seem to have the ugly market cornered.

Last edited by KleineDicke on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 pm

The Meharis were terrible, 20 years ago the plastic bodies were falling apart, cannot imagine how they are now. Funny that they were legally sold in the US in the 1960s/70s.

I learned to drive in an Ami 6. Amazingly, it it did not put me off driving....and I actually bought a 1972 GS, which is as rare as hens teeth here in the States.

I liked the GS, loved the Ds I owned, tolerated the CXs that came in the shop. But no Double Chevron interest since 1996....

EDIT: There are a pair of nice H vans for sale up near dad in Ohio, $5k for the pair. That is about as basic as things get!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:18 am

Pretty much anything from Citroen (or any other French manufacturer) is/was rare in the states. I ran into a guy here in Houston back in the early 80s who had a garage full of Citroens (maybe 20 or so), from 2cv,mehari, DS, GS, CX, even an SM. He did not have an H, but he did have a Renault sedan circa 1914 (Taxis to the Marne!)
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Yes, there was a good service guy down in that area years ago. His name I think was Pat. Did Citroens and Peugeots. SM, nearly traded a W123 Merc 300D for a five speed 3.0l one back in 1995 or so.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 3:53 am

As I recall, his name was Terry and in addition to rebuilding Citroen hydraulic components, he sold Amsoil (synthetic lubricants). Kind of an odd duck.
Back to top Go down

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:54 pm

I had a Dyane in 1982, I gave £60 for it and used the metal sides from a fridge to repair the rotting floors, hand painted it Red with grey stripes, happy days indeed, sold it 2 years later with a slipping clutch for £100.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GRS Van Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRS Van Conversion   GRS Van Conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

GRS Van Conversion
Page 1 of 1