Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible Stainz conversion?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Possible Stainz conversion? Empty
PostSubject: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 3:24 pm

I've got these three stainz locos, the green one i want to keep in original condition, the black one I have converted to battery power,radio control. I would like to change the brown one into a bi- cabine/Tram loco.;

Possible Stainz conversion? Demiel106

A)Is it possible>
B)Should i do it (there are those amongst us who will probably think it is sacrilege)
C) Is it worth it? I cant afford a new one and i like scratchbuilding anyway but should i save up (or make some silly bids on french ebay!)
and finally D) how should I go about it!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 pm

One of the Old Boys who got me started was mad keen on trams, but didnt have much money, so he converted his LGB fleet when the fancy took him. He mainly ran every Thursday on the living room floor, when his wife went to Bingo, and modelled in card.

He effectively made drop on bodies to fit over existing models, and glued them in place with UHU, which was strong enough to hold the body in place, but could be removed with a bit of acetone. Likewise, if he needed to paint the donor model he would use emulsion paint so it could be scrubbed off. Ironically he never reversed any of his conversions, but after his death his son undid all the work and sold the original models before we had chance to bid.

Anyway, a Charlie Band BiCabine conversion would entail a cab, side tanks and skirts made in one piece, and sitting on the flat plate at the front and the two flat plates above the valve gear. If the cab was wildly different then he would lightly glue on new cab sides.

Happy memories....
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Mikey

My own answers:

A Yes - I remember seeing an article in an old g-scale journal from a few years ago on the makiing of a steam rail motot from a stainz

B Yes if you want to do it

C Yes, on the basis that you have 2 other Stainz locos, and this represents an opportunity to have something unique

D Err, can't help you there but david (dsteam) seems to have that covered with the previous post!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 6:22 pm

Mikey the possibilities are endless with a stainz.

At one time Ralph Reppingen used to make a brass body and conversion kit to fit the LGB stainz model and make into a Chiemseebahn tram loco.

At the moment I can't see it on his current website but I shall keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Go for it Mikey..........there's reputedly over a million Stainz locos in the world, so a new model out of one won't really dint their value or rarity - with a few exceptions. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Cheers Carl. found this piccy on the 'Meine Tramlok' forum.Just what I want. just need to know if he is still doing it and how much. It looks good.

Possible Stainz conversion? 8151
copyright:Von Diesem Benutzer Anseigen

Paul; that many? You must have most of them by now!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 pm

I still can't see it on his website but that doesn't mean anything with him.
Because he does a large range of items of which only a few are shown online.

My advice would be to drop him an e mail.
He speaks reasonable (not perfect) English and he's usually very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Stainz conversion?   Possible Stainz conversion? Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Stainz conversion?
Page 1 of 1