Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brake/Guards Van

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Were brake or guard van type cars used by French light railways (voies metriques)? If so, does anybody have any drawings or photos of such a car? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Bill:

Tramways de L'Ain - but there were many others. Vivarais links, anybody?

Brake/Guards Van Issoudun

Phil
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Bill:

Phil
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Bill:

Phil
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Bill:

Phil
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 3:46 pm

the UK idea of a guards van where the guard, at the end of the train,could aid in applying the brakes in an emergency has a slightly different use in europe. the 'Chef de Train' was in charge of the train (as is/was the guard) but the vehicle he travelled in was often the next after the engine. He also had a function as guard of the post , ref the fourgons of vivarais (sorry no pics), which had a small desk, heater and safe as well as dog kennel and hand operated braking system.

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Is this one of the fourgons to which you refer?
Brake/Guards Van Fourgon_2611_a_Lamastre
Back to top Go down

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm

That's a fourgon conclusion isn't it?

(Sorry - love the tail-light!) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Bredebahn wrote:
That's a fourgon conclusion isn't it?

(Sorry - love the tail-light!) Rolling Eyes

Quite alright- I truly appreciate a good pun- and that's a good one.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 pm

'Tis very similar Bill but the dog kennel door appears to be missing. i'll have another look and see if iI can find a piccie in my files.

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Not sure if this qualifies as one of those wagons, but I took this pic at WEMFAL last year. It looks as though there is some sort of dog kennel built in to it:

Brake/Guards Van WEMFAL08_36
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Here we go. You will see on this pic ,lifted from apocopa's site, that the door to the kennel is on the right lower corner;

Brake/Guards Van Fourgon_DD
copyright;Apocopa

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm

thats it clive. not a vivarais fourgon but it highlights the responsibilites of the chef de train!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what was the role of the dog? Or was the kennel used for conveying dogs belonging to passengers?
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:17 pm

clive_t wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what was the role of the dog? Or was the kennel used for conveying dogs belonging to passengers?
I was wondering the same thing myself. If it was for passengers' pets, it raises an interesting question, i.e. why is it OK for one to have one's dog sitting at the table with them at a restaurant (and even eating off the table), but not OK for one's dog to accompany them on the train? Could the dog ride in the dining car with his owner?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Interesting subject.

The fourgon is not a brake or guards van as in the English sense although they often ran at the end of the train.

A fourgon is just...a van really. Hence it's use in motor vehicle terms a 2CV fourgon for example.

A fourgon was usually the only wagon that travelled all the way through from Paris on the Golden Arrow/Flèche d'Or carrying luggage, newspapers and some mail plus the odd box of stinky cheese and claret no doubt.

The dog kennel was used on some fourgons to carry dogs for hunting so I am told.
People in rural areas would often travel to hunt and these dogs were not welcome in the passenger vehicles.

For goods wagons with a brakeman there existed a 'vigie' which was a small outside lavvy shaped cabin perched on the end of a normal wagon.

Here's a link to a model one showing some nice interior detail.

Wagon +vigie
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Interesting, Carl. The "vigie" wagon looks a bit like LGBs "Bremserhaus" beer wagons.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Interesting, indeed. I bet it got a bit 'testy' in the kennel bit if there was a bunch of hunting dogs being conveyed together
Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake/Guards Van Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake/Guards Van   Brake/Guards Van Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake/Guards Van
Page 1 of 1