Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another weary passenger waiting for his train...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Empty
PostSubject: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:57 am

Morning all

I mentioned I think that I was at the Wickham show (hosted by the Solent Group of the G-Scale Society) a couple of Saturdays ago. I only got so far with actually making a figure, on account of I spent most of that day talking to people - which was very nice. This thread is a continuation of what happened to the figure after that day...

First, here is how it looked on the day:
Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger1

I will be honest here, and say that at the moment I sat down at my work table, I had not one holy clue about what kind of figure I was going to make. So basically I just pulled a body out of the box, and set to work dismembering it - for no other reason than to encourage comment and question. Which worked! I made an impromptu decision to make a seated figure, to demonstrate that what started off as a standing figure could be altered to a radically different pose using the techniques I've used before, and are now faithfully documented here.

By the end of the show, I only had a seated figure with no arms. I also had no voice! Since then, I have had a play around with some arms and also a suitcase from the passenger kit. In my head was a vision of a vignette I have seen countless times at stations and indeed airports up and down the land - a passenger, tired and weary and with obviously a long way still to go to get home, resting his case on his knees, and trying to snatch some sleep whilst waiting for his train (or plane, or boat or whatever):

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger2

The gaps were filled with Milliput last night, so tonight should be able to sand it smooth:

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger3
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Every picture (model character) tells a story.
I wonder what he's got in the suitcase....

Excellent as usual Clive.

BTW, I love the 'Milk Chocolate Tool Kit'.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 pm

A sales representative of the old school...

"He travels in ladies lingerie..."
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 pm

dtsteam wrote:

"He travels in ladies lingerie..."
Is there any other way?... Err, anyway, moving on...

Having allowed the Milliput to go off, I was then able to Dremel it to a smooth, less lumpy finish around the joints. I also packed out the sleeve sitting on top of the suitcase, to try and give the impression of a heavy arm causing the sleeve material to settle, rather like a flat tyre:

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger4

It was at this point I decided that this particular gentleman needed to be slightly different in some way, seeing as most of the clothing detail would be obscured by the suitcase. I toyed with the idea of removing the hat completely - but then, on a complete whim, I decided that the hat could remain, but I would make it into a wide-brimmed hat - indeed, furthermore I would make this passenger Jewish.

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger5

At this point I would ask you please, dear reader, to note: I am not making any religious, political, racial or any other kind of potentially contentious statements here - save that of, "Here is a figure, he is arranged in what is my interpretation of how a Jewish gentleman traveller would look if he were trying to catch a bit of sleep before his train departed."

Right, that said, let's move on again. This morning I was in a position to spray undercoat the figure with the usual grey primer:

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger6

I had a go at making the characteristic long side-burn curls, from a thin strand of Green Stuff coiled around a very thin drill bit. It seemed to give a decent result, which when sprayed grey looked like this:

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger7

Finally this afternoon, I was able to paint the figure. Here he is, still snoring gently away in the certain knowledge that the arrival of his train will be sufficient to wake him from his slumber...

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger8

Here he is again from the opposite angle:

Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Weary_passenger8b

So there you have it, one weary traveller, eager to get home!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:18 am

Another Bril model Clive!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another weary passenger waiting for his train...   Another weary passenger waiting for his train... Empty

Back to top Go down

Another weary passenger waiting for his train...
Page 1 of 1