Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Railway Crane

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:41 am

This weekend I started a new project. I had two incomplete LGB-ToyTrain crane cars that gave more than enough parts to make one complete.
Although I do like the look of the cranecar it's still a bit to much of an american logging crane for me so I have to "Europe-a-nize" it a bit. Therefore the wooden crane-arm had to go for sure because these are not very prototypal for European cranes.
The crane had also to be a bit bigger and preferable with 3 axles to give it a heavier look.

Some pictures

Taking it apart:

Railway Crane PICT0131modified-vi

And re-spray it (just ordinary primer in a rattle-can from the DIY store):

Railway Crane PICT0133modified-vi

The mid section in the chassis is removed with use of a Dremel (safety-glasses are not a luxury with this job!)

Railway Crane PICT0139modified-vi

The third axle holder (from another old LGB car with coupler cutted off) fits in nicely. It can move from side to side a bit so sharp R1 curves are no problem.

Railway Crane PICT0140modified-vi

Sideview:

Railway Crane PICT0142modified-vi

Keeping it in place:

Railway Crane PICT0143modified-vi

Testride on the track. As planned, no problems in the R1 curves!!!
Railway Crane PICT0145modified-vi

And this is how far as I could get. Starting to build a new crane arm, using the original one as base:

Railway Crane PICT0149modified-vi
Railway Crane PICT0148modified-vi

Hopefully, if time permits, more pictures soon!

Paul
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:22 am

Grey....did not think of that, I should re-paint mine. It appears that mine is also missing the black box that goes on the back of the cab.

Great work Paul! Gives me ideas for mine. My crane I tow behind this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51032247@N00/4314904934/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It is the LGB "Christmas" truck that the previous owner re-painted. Nice, as the Christmas one is the only one with a plough. Santa has been re-painted too, now he looks like a motorcycle rider!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Spule 4 wrote:
Grey....did not think of that, I should re-paint mine. It appears that mine is also missing the black box that goes on the back of the cab.

Great work Paul! Gives me ideas for mine. My crane I tow behind this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51032247@N00/4314904934/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It is the LGB "Christmas" truck that the previous owner re-painted. Nice, as the Christmas one is the only one with a plough. Santa has been re-painted too, now he looks like a motorcycle rider!

Having just spent the weekend moving my daughter's furniture to a new apartment in Waco TX, where it was 102 DegF, i can really appreciate the snow in the photo. Looks mighty good.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks.
Looking for some inspiration I've found a very nice and detailed conversion for LGB Toytrain by
Dave Ayers; see Railroad, Wreck and MOW cranes (Scroll down to bottom of page). I like his gear work and gonna try that myself.

Garret, the box on the back is the fake "counter-weight" that comes with the original car. It fits/hooks in 2 slots on the back of the crane (see example).
Since I used 2 (incomplete) cranes I've got a free spare one left over for you if you want.

Bill, I always choose 102 DegF above snow... but only if you don't have to haul furniture!

And... Mea Culpa!!!
I just realized I did not gave a warning to Laurent that I just sprayed over a yellow model in a different color again... And that after I specifically promised to warn the next time after respraying the Brekina VW Railcar
Sorry Laurent!!! I hope it was not that big of a shock... scratch (than again, it was more orange than yellow...)
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

Yes, the weight. If you can spare it, let me know. Maybe I have a spare part lurking that needs to go to Holland?

I still have ideas for my little crane. Probably part of a small works or log-train.
Back to top Go down
pjti

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

I like the 6 wheel conversion Paul, a great idea nad you made it look/sound so easy
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 pm

I did some work on the crane arm. No pic's however... Just glued strips of styrene along the arm to give it some steel truss look. Used some leftover tank wheels from a 1:35 plastic military kit as wheels for the cable.
I have to make some side skirts for the wheels form styrene.

If I only had some more time to work undisturbed...

Garrett; you've got a mail!

Patrick, it is actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part was to dare to start and put the Dremel in the beautiful LGB underside to cut the plastic out... But I'm happy I did it!
Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Railway Crane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Railway Crane   Railway Crane Empty

Back to top Go down

Railway Crane
Page 1 of 1