Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Early LGB History

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
djm

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi

About 30 years ago I purchased a clearestory coach (lgb # 3050) this has spent the last ten years as a grounded van body ! I recently purchased an early post van (lgb # 3020)

These are both over sprayed in Prussion Blue.

Does any body know if this was an LGB factory finish?

Regards DJ

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Hello, DJ.

I'm not an expert, but I've never seen a #3050 coach in blue. The colors I know of are green (3rd class #3050/30500 - most common version), green/brown (3rd/4th class mixed #30503), brown (4th class #30504), or red (a Christmas version #31500). I've never actually seen the Christmas one, but it appeared in LGB's catalog.

There was a blue version of the postal wagon produced in the 1980's as part of the anniversary series (1985 Jahreswagen) but I believe the original 3020s were all green. The later versions were also produced in green (most comon version, #3019/32190), brown (most sought after- actually a baggage car labelled "Stuckgut" #31190) and an absolutely wierd red and gold Christmas version (#34190), complete with a huge ribbon and bow. These all had interior furnishings and lighting and end marker lighting; some also came with ball bearing wheel sets. I have one of each of these (SWMBO bought the Christmas one for me).

In addition, I think it has generally been LGB's practise to mold the bodies in colored plastics as much as practical rather than paint them (unless of course it was a multicolor scheme). So I would suspect any car that was painted in entirety as not being original.

BTW, there's one of the early 3020s currently on eBay listed at $300.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Quote :
There was a blue version of the postal wagon produced in the 1980's as part of the anniversary series (1985 Jahreswagen)

There's a blue #3020 as 1985 anniversary post car on Ebay: click here to see Ebay item

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Paulus wrote:
Quote :
There was a blue version of the postal wagon produced in the 1980's as part of the anniversary series (1985 Jahreswagen)

There's a blue #3020 as 1985 anniversary post car on Ebay: click here to see Ebay item

But it's not worth nearly the asking price. You can probably get a good one for $100 less.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Resurrecting an old thread here - I just noticed another version of the LGB Postal Car - the Primus version, which came in Brown. I have no idea what sort of interior it had, but it did have the illuminated marker lamps. Very little external letttering - as Primus was LGB's "bargain" brand name.

Here's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-PRIMUS-30819-POSTAL-WAGON-ORIGINAL-BOX-/230694204335?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item35b67233af
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Thats interesting, Bill - I never knew there was a Primus version.

I collected the 1980's centenary set as each coach came out, but flatly refused to pay the outrageous price they asked for the 1985 blue postal van. You know at the time its one of those things that you may regret not buying. After more than 20 years of "so you didn't get a post van, then" I finally snapped recently, and bought one - for considerably less than the half a weeks pay it would have cost me in 1985. Its actually not a very nice model, but 30 years after buying the starter pack, it is nice to have finished the set !
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:52 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Thats interesting, Bill - I never knew there was a Primus version.

I collected the 1980's centenary set as each coach came out, but flatly refused to pay the outrageous price they asked for the 1985 blue postal van. You know at the time its one of those things that you may regret not buying. After more than 20 years of "so you didn't get a post van, then" I finally snapped recently, and bought one - for considerably less than the half a weeks pay it would have cost me in 1985. Its actually not a very nice model, but 30 years after buying the starter pack, it is nice to have finished the set !

The blue color is a bit hideous, nicht wahr? I have managed to collect all the "Jubilaums" add-ons, but not the original starter set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Early LGB History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early LGB History   Early LGB History Empty

Back to top Go down

Early LGB History
Page 1 of 1