Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My local railway

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: My local railway   My local railway EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 pm

My local "steam" railway is the NYMR, not continental but If anyone is interested in that sort of thing let me know.
Back to top Go down

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm interested in all things railway. I've travelled on the NYMR a few times, and very impressive it is too.
My last trip was with the class 25: 25278(D7628)
Most excellent.
My local railway is the one at Chasewater..........I'm rather ashamed to say that in seven years of living here, I've never been on it.

chasewater railway

I wanted to go and see the progress of D5627 as she is an old friend. However, before I got there, the chaps who own it, had restored it and moved it away!

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 9:23 am

There are numerous preserved steam railways in the South of England.

Technically, my nearest is Haven Street on the Isle of Wight. You have the small issue of a modest body of water to cross first though - Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde Pier Head. When you get there, it is possible to be conveyed to the interchange at Smallbrook Junction on the current system, which itself is getting on for venerable museum-piece status, being mainly ex-London Underground tube stock from the 1960s and 1970s.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

The nearest to me without needing to do an impersonation of Captain Haddock is the Mid-Hants Railway; the 'Watercress Line'. So called because that part of the then LSWRs network was crucially important for the rapid conveyance of produce from the local watercress beds (for which that part of Hampshire was/is justly famous!) to the major restaurants in London and beyond.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 pm

My local railways and museums

This the Urban transport museum now relocated in Chelles where I live.

AMTUIR

This the mainline standard gauge steam museum to the south west about 1hr away.

AJECTA Longueville

This is the metre gauge and secondary lines museum and short railway to the north of Paris.

MTVS

This is a large 60cm gauge line of several kilomteres in a huge park in the northern suburbs of Paris.

CF Chanteraines

I will save all the links from these posts and reassemble them in the 'links' section.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 6:46 pm

I appear to be bereft of preserved lines in my immediate vicinity

But the CFTLP (Chemin de Fer Touristique Limousin-Perigord) operate preserved steam locos on SNCF track in the summer months out of Limoges to Ussel.

Details at www.trainvapeur.com

The main loco operated appears to be 141 TD 740

I'll definately be taking the trip next summer!

Cheers brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 8:12 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Let me know and I'll join you. I presume that's Ussel 19200 in Correze.
Nearly my favourite countryside in the whole world. Sad
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 8:27 pm

GWhizz wrote:
I appear to be bereft of preserved lines in my immediate vicinity

But the CFTLP (Chemin de Fer Touristique Limousin-Perigord) operate preserved steam locos on SNCF track in the summer months out of Limoges to Ussel.

The main loco operated appears to be 141 TD 740

Do you mean 141 TB 740

My local railway 141tb410

This locomotive is one of the national 'monument historique' and is kept in working order by AJECTA at Longueville.
It was built by Blanc Misseron and worked out of the old Paris Bastille terminus for a while. TB = Train Banlieue (suburban).
The trains served the south east of Paris. A bit Like Cannon street used to (still does?) in London.

As it happens Rail TV is showing some footage of Paris Bastille.......very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 pm

No you don't mean TB 407....Shocked

I've just looked at the Limousin website and the locomotive is indeed 141 TD 407 which is a strange coincidence.

Both locomotives are ex-suburban tanks. TD 407 ran out of Paris St Lazare to the north west suburbs, Pontoise.

Both beautiful machines.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 7:45 am

carl hibbs wrote:
GWhizz wrote:

Let me know and I'll join you. I presume that's Ussel 19200 in Correze.
Nearly my favourite countryside in the whole world. Sad

I think So!

According to the book I picked up in Paris - The Essential Guide to French Heritage and Tourist Railways by Mervyn Jones

The total distance is 110Kms, so if it's East that must be into the Correze! It also says Ussel for (La Cite de Ventadour) ??

Would be a great trip - love to have you along

Cheers Brian

PS might be worth posting this book somewhere its published by Oakwood Press 2006 latest edition, but as you know these heritage sites fall in and out of service year by year. I did meet the guys from CFTLP at Bussiere Galant show and they assured me it will run in 2009.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 7:49 am

carl hibbs wrote:
No you don't mean TB 407....Shocked

I've just looked at the Limousin website and the locomotive is indeed 141 TD 407 which is a strange coincidence.

Both locomotives are ex-suburban tanks. TD 407 ran out of Paris St Lazare to the north west suburbs, Pontoise.

Both beautiful machines.

Checking again the loco number is definitely printed as TD 740 in the book - presumably a typo. Hope it doesn't reflect the overall reliability as a reference!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 am

There is a bit of confusion and some listings have mistyped the numbers.

The locomotive in Limousin is definitely 141 TD 740 and the other at Longueville is 141 TB 407.

Strangely both engines saw service on the lines to the east of Paris and could have even been stabled together at one time.

Here is a good site for 141 Mikados (and other French steam locos)

141 Mikado
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Brian, we will have to take a triptogether in the spring and visit the preserved line at Guitres -see my earlier posting on this line-, its not too far to go {Coutras}but its good day out!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Brian, we will have to take a triptogether in the spring and visit the preserved line at Guitres -see my earlier posting on this line-, its not too far to go {Coutras}but its good day out!

Mikey

Great idea - keep in touch on that one!

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My local railway Empty
PostSubject: Re: My local railway   My local railway Empty

Back to top Go down

My local railway
Page 1 of 1