Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale

Go down 
+8
Bearcastle
Saint-Oblas
Sparkeswood
Tacbob
GWhizz
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
dewintondave
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Tacbob

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Dave,

many thanks. You've seen right. That's why I was asking Smile.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 7:56 am

Here is the spring loaded clutch lever mechanism, and the new exhaust drain pipe.  The pipe passes by the rear axle and central drive shaft and drops the oil and condensate onto the track sleepers.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 20150121_222504_c

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/dewintondave
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 8:25 am

Hi Dave,

Very interesting. What's the standard position of the lever? Disengaged?
How did you cut the corresponding slot? Did you milled it?

I hope I don't bother you with all my questions.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 am

Tacbob wrote:
Very interesting. What's the standard position of the lever? Disengaged?
How did you cut the corresponding slot? Did you milled it?

I hope I don't bother you with all my questions.

Hi Lorenz,
The spring is used to push the lever to the right (into the slots) to keep the clutch either engaged or not.  I keep it disengaged.  The clutch itself isn't spring loaded (like on a car), only the lever to lock it in position.

Yes, it was milled in the lathe using a vertical slide on the cross slide.

No problem at all with your questions.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 am

I bought a replacement rocker cover OS FS-30 spare part on eBay as I couldn't bear drilling a hole in the original.  (I think OS FS-20, 26, and 30 are all the same external size) It's for a breather pipe, and I might use it for squirting some fuel in before each run to keep everything well lubricated.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150124_154317s

I'm going to cut some ventilation holes in the bonnet at the back and use an electric cooling fan to push air over the engine and out of the front!  Well, that's the plan.

The loco will soon be at the painting stage.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 Summer

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 7:38 am

More and more beautiful!

Just one question: why did you choose this special scale and not the more common 7/8"?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 am

Saint-Oblas wrote:
More and more beautiful!

Just one question: why did you choose this special scale and not the more common 7/8"?

Thank you!

7/8" is an odd scale - 1:13.7.  1:12 is a dolls house scale and should have some useful accessories available to buy.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Looking really good with the bonnet and cab. Where will you place the fan? Will it draw or push the air? I'm considering about that too. With no radiator in front of it there shouldn't be a problem with drawn air.

540mm is an unusual gauge but not impossible. It's plausible. What kind of accessories from dolls house do you think of? Bucket and brush?
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Sure in the field of industrial railways, everything is possible. Furthermore in garden train, some tolerance with scaledown is usual. My question was about compatibilty with existing equipments. But this is something really personnal depending on environement, personal goals and so on.
Some people who are very keen about cars and trucks take the 1/18 scale were they are more commons. I did not know anything about dolls house scale. Is this a way of founding figurines too?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 3:14 am

Tacbob wrote:
Looking really good with the bonnet and cab. Where will you place the fan? Will it draw or push the air? I'm considering about that too.  With no radiator in front of it there shouldn't be a problem with drawn air.

540mm is an unusual gauge but not impossible. It's plausible. What kind of accessories from dolls house do you think of? Bucket and brush?

I am thinking of having the fan push air over the engine and out through where the radiator should be.

I've just checked, the gauge error is just the same as our OO scale (4 mm/ft) on 16.5 mm gauge track.

These would be a nice feature for the cab doorways: Cool
www.alwayshobbies.com

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 011165_0

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 am

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Sure in the field of industrial railways, everything is possible. Furthermore in garden train, some tolerance with scaledown is usual. My question was about compatibilty with existing equipments. But this is something really personnal depending on environement, personal goals and so on.
Some people who are very keen about cars and trucks take the 1/18 scale were they are more commons. I did not know anything about dolls house scale. Is this a way of founding figurines too?

There are some useful figures available, I like this one:
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/dolls-houses/dolls-$4-figurines/resin/shop-keeper

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 001628_0

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 5:26 am

Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 am

Prices are more reasonnable than G scale figures (LGB and chiefly Preiser which are very expensive).
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 7:01 am

Tacbob wrote:
Nice for clean engineer shoes Smile
This would be good on the grille guard Wink

Saint-Oblas wrote:
Prices are more reasonnable than G scale figures (LGB and chiefly Preiser which are very expensive).

Yes, I'm glad I chose 1/12th scale, there are many good accessories to buy, and the prices are reasonable.

Today I cut-out the ventilation opening on the side of the loco, and have soldered a stainless steel mesh grille over it.  I was going to cut one on either side, but perhaps an asymmetric look isn't so bad.  This way is more discreet as it isn't so easy to see inside.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 20150126_174236s

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi Dave,

Is the asymmetric ventilation cut out working? Looks nice. Will you install a PC-fan too?

Lorenz
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Tacbob wrote:
Is the asymmetric ventilation cut out working? Looks nice. Will you install a PC-fan too?

Hi Lorenz, I haven't been able to test it yet.  I shall be installing a fan.  I'm still waiting on the fan though.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 3:35 am

As I'm waiting for the fan.  I decided to add a headlight to the loco.  This light was made from the lens, reflector, and bulb assembly of a small torch (flashlight).  I'm fond of brass, so I'm thinking of keeping it polished.  The back plate is steel, and that can be painted. 

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150214_134303

It's surprising how long it took to make.  The outer shell is 0.5mm brass sheet and had to be annealed and rolled around a former.  Then it had to be wired closed and then silver brazed.  The 1.2mm brass end pieces had to be cut-out, then they were soft soldered to a chucking piece, then turned to size to fit the outer shell.  They were then silver brazed one at a time into the shell, and turned on the lathe.  The ends were drilled and bored for the reflector and lens.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150215_143355

This is a large light.  It officially fell off a much larger NZR locomotive, and was pressed into service.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150215_143459

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Dave,

That's a nice looking  head lamp. Is it a warm or a cold light that it's emitting?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 am

Tacbob wrote:
That's a nice looking  head lamp. Is it a warm or a cold light that it's emitting?

Thank you Lorenz.  It's a filament bulb so should be warm.  I've got a smaller lamp for the rear, and that is an LED torch head, and is cold light.

Best wishes,
Dave,
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 am

Well, I've finally got a cooling fan to try out, but first I thought I'd better fit the front grille.  I didn't want to solder it directly in so had to cut out a steel retaining piece which sandwiches the mesh and is held in place with screws.  Two days of sawing, filing, drilling and tapping.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150224_190723_s

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Dave,

What kind of mesh did you use? It looks really fine.

In my opinion a bit to much screws on the front. But nevertheless it 's a sharp looking loco with it's long bonnet and it's yours. Did you already think about the paint scheme?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 am

Tacbob wrote:
What kind of mesh did you use? It looks really fine.

In my opinion a bit to much screws on the front. But nevertheless it 's a sharp looking loco with it's long bonnet and it's yours. Did you already think about the paint scheme?

Hi Lorenz, the mesh is the coarsest from Tasman Model Products 40 strands per inch, stainless steel.

My roundhead screws on the loco are a simple rivet simulation.  I quite like the toy look, this isn't a serous model.

It's either going to be black, or this red:

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150217_182917

Smile

Best wishes,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 am

Hi Dave, 

Nice colour. Will the chassis have the same colour?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 am

Tacbob wrote:
Nice colour. Will the chassis have the same colour?

Hi Lorenz,

The frames should be black.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 am

The project was slowed up by a slow delivery from Germany Smile

I ended up fitting a centrifugal type blower fan to blow air across the cylinder fins.  In all fairness the fan from Germany is excellent and almost silent (but I'm not using it after all).  Though having thought about it, silence isn't important in a live diesel set-up.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 20150329_113939_s

To help expel hot air from under the bonnet and through the mesh, I have installed two small fans at the top of the grille.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 IMG_20150329_114832_s

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 20150321_170220_s

I need to sort out the electrics now.  The fans are all 12V dc types.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 am

Can you give the reference for the centrifugal fan, please? I may have the use of one in one of my projects.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next